[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
E-Book Reader Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: file.png (127 KB, 619x393) Image search: [Google]
file.png
127 KB, 619x393
What's the best bang-for-your-buck ebook reader?

I've been looking at the Kobo aura 2013 and it looks really nice. Flush touch screen, backlight, SD card slot, and around $50 used.

Was also thinking a 2nd gen Kindle Paperwhite but that's a little more expensive, plus I'd have to go through the trouble of Jailbreaking it.
>>
>>54562468
>around $50 used.
Fuck me are they really?
>bought one of these at least 2 years ago
>thought I was going to start reading a shit ton again
>paid nearly $200 all said and done
>have read less than 70 hours in those 2-3 years, probably 10 hours of that being idle time where I left it on
>>
>>54562468

if it isn't the one with the 0 brightness screen that costs 100 dollars it's trash
>>
>>54562619
Why didn't you get the nook simple touch?
I know for a fact that 2-3 years ago /g/ recommended it because of it's price.
>>
>>54562619
Wait sorry, mine was the HD, not the regular Aura.

>>54562657
Wanted the extra resolution for manga and PDF shit.

>>54562636
Aura's have a zero brightness screen, yes.
>>
>>54562672
Aura HD's sell for a bit more, around $80 or so.

I'd like the extra size but I'm not sure if it's worth the price difference.
>>
My Kobo Glo has lasted me like 5 years now.
Read on it every night. For $100 or so, I've pirated like $4000 worth of books.
Apologies to the authors but otherwise I wouldn't be reading at all.
>>
>>54562719
>I'd like the extra size but I'm not sure if it's worth the price difference.
I fucking love mine as little as I've used it. If you're into manga/comics at all I'd say it's a must over the normal Aura. If you just want it for normal books then maybe not unless you'd enjoy a larger screen for larger print.
>>
File: received_1172254212784732.jpg (1 MB, 1440x1185) Image search: [Google]
received_1172254212784732.jpg
1 MB, 1440x1185
Icarus Illumina 2 HD.

Android 4.2, backlit pearl screen (758x1024) Installed F-droid and Nova launcher, decrapified it and now it is a perfect epub/ light pdf reader. I can even read my scanned textbooks on it after running them through k2pdfopt.

Currently experimenting with Tachiyomi as a manga reader, p good, but sadly not full screen, nav bar is still visible. Too bad I need the nav bar for basic navigation.
>>
Anyone with the current base-model kindle (touch? 7th gen? Whatever they call it): I feel like the weakest part of mine is the power button. It's not damaged or anything, but it has some give and it's the only part that protrudes.

I suppose buttons are pretty much the easiest thing to fix if it ever does break and I want to DIY it. And hey, it was only £60. Still, I feel like it's an odd design choice.

Anyone had their button break?
>>
>>54562468
I have what you have in the picture, got it for $50 and it's literally perfect you don't need anything more
>>
File: 1blue_box1-image-v2.png (132 KB, 461x364) Image search: [Google]
1blue_box1-image-v2.png
132 KB, 461x364
>>
e-book readers with decent color support fucking when?
>>
>>54565925
Never, unless someone invents a new screen technology
>>
I had the Kobo aura that you speak of and it was nice except it was much less responsive. Might be better to get the paperwhite, as in my experience they are better in that respect
>>
>>54565013
sony dpt-s1. I heard that is a good stuff, but is too expensive.
>>
I got a kobo glo hd for 70 euro which was a great deal.
The only thing I dislike about it is that the light intensity fluctuates ever so slightly but definitely noticeable when set to 0-15% or so. That's only a problem when reading in complete darkness though.
>>
>>54565925
E-Ink Triton was a thing. It is no longer a thing because no major manufacturers would buy it. So color e-readers will never happen.
>>
I've bought a kindle paperwhite ($25) and Kindle keyboard ($10) used and have really liked them. Would try out the others but I haven't seen any for sale. I don't get the whole jailbreak thing, you can convert it all to run on mobi or just download it that way easily enough.
>>
File: crofflr-navbar.png (2 KB, 149x29) Image search: [Google]
crofflr-navbar.png
2 KB, 149x29
Kindle paperwhite 2015
Using IFTTT, Pocket, and crofflr to get all the RSS and articles
e-ink disaply is best for the eyes
>>
How's the kindle voyager? Worth it? It costs a lot.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.