[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you prepare for google interviews?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: images (1).jpg (12 KB, 376x134) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
12 KB, 376x134
I attended a top 10 school where our homework programs were multiple google-esque problems each week starting from cs 101 up to more senior level courses. People from my school hire well into facebook/google/amazon etc. they are the best and brighest in the US.

Unfortunately I come from a poor country ass family and my blue collar background can't afford to attend this school. I'm going to a different school next semester with regular classes/homework assignments which leads me to my question.

How do I prepare for google style interviews? what online resources are there? I'm serious about it.
>>
>>54562297
just dye your hair blue and tell them you are transgendered, You will get the job.
>>
>>54562415
That's the craziest advice I've ever received.
>>
>>54562520
and the best!
>>
>>54562520
Probably would work tbqh
>>
>>54562549
>>54562544
I already get discriminated against for being poor. Might work.
>>
>>54562297

crack the coding interview
algorithm design manual
introduction to algorithms
leetcode
hackerrank
topcoder
projecteuler

source: i'm preparing for google phone screen in a couple weeks
>>
>>54563190
basically you have to be better than most people at DS/algo and reverse-a-string-like coding problems. I've also interviewed at amazon and they gave me a computer and had me code a solution to their problem statement
>>
Microsoft offered job to me without any coding course, i refused after hearing the details. they want me to organize indians over skype and prevent then fuck up. this also includes arabs
>>
>>54563190
Thanks for this. I'll prepare accordingly. I'm pretty certain I remember seeing some of our homework problems were directly from top coder.
>>
>>54563190
Quick Question. Does top coder teach you in tutorial style fashion? Because this is what I am looking for... I want to learn and practice my DS and Algos.

I tried learning from coursera (with java) but one of their courses was too slow and trivial.
>>
>>54563596
No...hackerrank is good for that.

Also check out treehouse
>>
remember how to invert a binary tree?
>>
>>54563666
https://leetcode.com/problems/invert-binary-tree/

check the editorial tab. I can't see the page right now as it's giving me a 400
>>
>>54563213
>DS/algo

Not OP but what is the DS part of this?
>>
>>54563643
Okay I am checking those to places out now. What is topcoder for then? The site is confusing me I couldn't find the 'learn algorithms tutorials' but then just read your comment.
>>
>>54563751
data structures.

Basically when you graduate and work a fulltime job most likely you won't use this knowledge all of the time but DS/algo are extremely important for interviews at good companies as they're considered analogue problems for problem solving ability/coding ability/intelligence (read introduction section of CTCI for more on this)
>>
>>54563816
Me again. I found something closer to what I am looking for:

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-science/algorithms
>>
Cracking the Coding Interview (6th edition)

Read that shit
>>
>>54563190

Also, just downloaded CLRS.

What kind of math background do I need to prep with to go through these exercises? Some of this looks quite complicated and not sure if the chapters will be self-contained in order to complete the end of chapter exercises. I'm smart and learn fast
>>
>>54563883
read this before or after i learn DS/Algo? I'm trying to learn algo/DS first.
>>
>>54563886
mathematical maturity is useful or discrete math but I'd just learn as you go
>>
>>54563901
No, read this first, so you know which algorithms you should give a fuck about for interviews

Do you want a job, or waste your time in becoming a walking encyclopedia of algorithms?
>>
>>54563948
>t. Pajeet the Wordpress "developer"
>>
>>54563948
OK cool. Thanks for the protip.

>>54563905
OK I have math maturity. I'll learn as I go.

Here is my plan:

Spend 1-2 days learn this shit:
https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-science/algorithms

To get a feel for what algorithms are.

Then concurrently go through Cracking the Coding Interview (6th edition) & CLRS (do exercises) and complement with with some MIT 6.046J videos (even though this one is very old and MIT no longer teaches the course this way since they use CLRS).

I don't know java so I'm learning from udemy John P's course and supplementing some java shit with top coder.
>>
>>54563964
I've been writing software professionally for 6 years, so go fuck yourself kid
>>
>>54564008
Of course I'll take a DS and Algorithms course but I don't want to wait and learn this shit in a class room. I want to know a good bit of it before I take these courses. Will be a busy summer.
>>
>>54562297
>>>/adv/
>>>/biz/
>>
>>54564077
yeah because getting advice from a bunch of humanity and business majors from /adv/ & /biz/ is going to be extremely fruitful.
>>
>>54564008
>what algorithms are
Dude, come the fuck on, yeah it's a scary word but the concept is simple

How to calculate the area of a square? by squaring it right? so what do you do? you write a piece of code that takes in a number, squares it, and returns the output.

Bam, you just wrote an algorithm. It's not black magic ffs

I would not be wasting my time memorizing algorithms, unless I knew a certain interview would contain lots of questions regarding common algorithms and how to implement them without bugs and with decent performance. The most important thing in interviews is your attitude and character, then comes technical knowledge.
>>
Anyone have a DL link for Cracking the Coding Interview, 6 ed?
>>
I did the google interview.

The problems are directly from some of those coding problem websites, even down to the wording.
>>
File: IDetestFreelancers.png (408 KB, 597x387) Image search: [Google]
IDetestFreelancers.png
408 KB, 597x387
>>54564020
>Lying on the Internet
>>
>>54564278
care to share specifics? how about which sites in particular?

is spending 80% leetcode 20% CTCI a solid studying strategy?
>>
>>54564393
>leetcode
I'm getting a Bad Request (400) on the site

>>54564154
>Dude, come the fuck on, yeah it's a scary word but the concept is simple

I'm meant the mathematical side to not. Not memorizing a bunch of shit.
>>
>>54562520
Tell them that you are woman in male body and gender is a social construct then, that you work in non-profit organisation that fight agains male oppresion.
>>
>taking career advice from /g/ neckbeards
go to /r/cscareerquestions or just read CTCI.
>>
>>54564838
How self-contained is CTCI? For instance if you didn't know what dictionaries were would you understand them by reading this book
>>
>>54565567
If you want a book with more explanations check out "programming interviews exposed". It has less questions but explains stuff better. Then you can move on to CTCI, because it has great content too.
>>
>>54562608
>I already get discriminated against for being poor.

How did that happen? I'm genuinely curious because I'm a poorfag myself.
>>
>>54562415
>not good enough to get the job
>blame others
nice work, anon
>>
>>54565622
Okay will do, thanks!
>>
>>54565641
Because hardly anyone in my family completed a high school education and I grew up in a very rural town. I had life disadvantages from the onset.

Education isn't a focal point when your family is stressed about whether they can pay next month's water bill and every week you have to hear complaints about this or that bill due next month and how you need to help pay for it.

So you become undereducated amongst peers that attended STEM highschools, had parents with upper middle to upper class incomes and was provided the best education possible from the onset.
>>
>>54565737
no problem, good luck
>>
>>54565828
Thanks.
>>
Write a program at home that gets google interested and get bought by them.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.