[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need a laptop that can go all day without charge.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: laptop.jpg (13 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
laptop.jpg
13 KB, 320x320
Need a laptop that can go all day without a charge. Mostly text work and sshing. Has to be able to handle two ssds as I want to keep one for windows because some of the dba stuff I use requires it. But I would like to not put any personal information on a windows 10 hard drive. So dual boot.

Should probably have some good linux support thinking about a thinkpad x260. Supposed to have more then 12 hours of battery life for text work and web shit.

I have a t420 and w520 but even when I play manual on the power management doesnt go over 4 hours.
>>
>>54553949

Hoping for first hand opinions.
>>
>>54553949
sounds like you need a desktop faggot
>>
>>54553949
MacBook Pro with a cd drive, replace with ssd
>>
ThinkPad with the two batteries.
>>
>>54553978

It needs to be Mobil.

>>54554034
Ive thought about it. Just buying more batteries for my w520.

I would have to shut it off to change them though I think. The new ones have internal batteries in addition to the changeable ones.

Are there chargers that just charge the battery itself not connected to the laptop?
>>
>>54554091
I have an x240 with an internal battery and two external ones. The swapping works great — between them I can get well into the 20 hours of usage on Linux (I suspect it would be even better on windows).

I have been meaning to buy the external charger (you can indeed buy one) but so far it hasn't really been an issue.

If I were you I would get either a t460, t450 or a t440 (although I would recommend replacing the trackpad if you do that). When you are buying it make sure there is an internal battery present (not all models have them although you can put one in yourself).
>>
>>54553949
x260 will be fine enough probably, but only if you use kernel 4.6 when it comes out and disable bluetooth.
that's the only issue I know about with skylake at least.
>>
>>54554388
>>54554438

Why does the x series have a 6 cell batter and the t locked in at 3? The t series seems to have no external battery at all now on the t460.
>>
File: rainmeterhaha.jpg (212 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
rainmeterhaha.jpg
212 KB, 1366x768
e5450 best
>>
>>54554531
workstations aren't meant to have batteries for any other reason other than permanence of power between short distances.
That's my best guess for their reason, at least. it's pretty dumb.
>>
>>54554034
this. OP, the t450s can be found for less than $700 on ebay and has a normal sata drive alongside an m2 sata drive. it's pretty great.
>>
>>54553949
>I have a t420 and w520 but even when I play manual on the power management doesnt go over 4 hours.

Just pick up some extra 9cell batteries for your T420. Far cheaper than buying a new laptop just for battery life, even if you get 4-6 of them
>>
>>54554388

>turn off to change battery

You could just plug your w520 into a power source to hot swap the batteries while still turned on.
>>
>>54554577

Looks like they just changed it also. I think the last gen had external changeable battery. Hell I might be tempted to go t over x if it had the internal/external battery combo that lets you change it while keeping it on.
>>
>>54554637
it does.
>>
>>54553959

chuwi hi10
dont let the chinese shit fool you

its made by asus
>>
>>54553949
>Need a laptop that can go all day without a charge. Mostly text work and sshing. Has to be able to handle two ssds as I want to keep one for windows because some of the dba stuff I use requires it. But I would like to not put any personal information on a windows 10 hard drive. So dual boot.
>Should probably have some good linux support thinking about a thinkpad x260. Supposed to have more then 12 hours of battery life for text work and web shit.
>I have a t420 and w520 but even when I play manual on the power management doesnt go over 4 hours.
Buy a Toughbook
>>
>>54553949
Hard requirement since most laptop now a days use a m.2 ssd and have 1 slot for it. I have a zenbook ux305ca with a core m that lasts me 7-9 ish hours without a charge and it's also superthin
>>
File: 1458598364781.png (58 KB, 905x589) Image search: [Google]
1458598364781.png
58 KB, 905x589
W500 with a 12 cell + 3 cell in the ultra bay
>>
Asus UX305. 10+ hours battery. Everything works with Fedora 23 and Ubuntu 16.04 except the brightness buttons, and you can work around that. Recommended.
>>
>>54553949
whatever you get, remove the HDD, most laptops should be able to handle two SSDs, especially if you put one in place of HDD. You can put another one in a caddy or mSATA, m.2
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.