[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you care about the political affiliations of software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: 1450307594089.png (129 KB, 314x278) Image search: [Google]
1450307594089.png
129 KB, 314x278
Why do you care about the political affiliations of software devs? Why should I care if the devs of something are SJWs if the end product is still decent?

I don't really agree with those people, but in my mind avoiding software over irrelevant opinions is on par with not letting someone blow you because they're a communist.
>>
>>54553163
I don't care until they start shoveling their beliefs down my throat through their software.
>>
>>54553230

Can you give an example? So far the only things I've seen are things like the refactoring of "master" and "slave" in Swift, which while stupid, really doesn't affect the end user much.
>>
>>54553263
I don't have any examples, but if that were to happen in some fashion, that's my standpoint. Just don't use software with shitty developers, I guess.
>>
The same reason you can get fired from your job for being "offensive". They don't want your "toxic" ideology to spread.
Why would you support a product that is created by people who actively want to silence you?
>>
>>54553292
>people who actively want to silence you
1. I'm not working for them, thus even if they wanted to, they're not actively trying to silence me, but they don't want to because:
2. I happen to agree with them.
>>
>>54553283
hey slut
>>
>>54553292

Because the piece of software itself isn't really expressing a will to silence me in my eyes. I'm sure you buy stuff all the time in real life that is made by people you disagree with, it's just not something you're made aware of often. With FOSS, your support isn't even benefitting the creator in a lot of cases.
>>
>>54553163
>Why should I care if the devs of something are SJWs if the end product is still decent?

because they will place personal concerns over actual functionality and stifle meritocratic collaboration

the "W" in "SJW" implies this, they are on a crusade and it colors their every though, action, and contribution.

I have no problem with devs having politics, so long as it is kept to their homes and domestic partnerships and away from their work.

If someone is SJW enough to be identified as SJW from observation, that means their politics are overtly coloring actions and behavior. This influence cannot be anything but a detriment because being a SJW has nothing to do with developing good software.
>>
>>54553163
I don't mind using it, but I'd never contribute code or give them money
>>
>>54553163
>donate to a campaign against fag marriage a decade ago
>someone digs that up and gets you fired

sorry not gonna endorse this shit
>>
>>54553355

Even with all of this considered, I don't see why it should affect my choices. If someone made a WM for example, and I genuinely prefer it to the alternatives functionality-wise, why should I care if the dev's programming habits are influenced by their beliefs?
>>
>>54553292

Maybe what they're silencing goes against their buisiness model and would inhibit success if allowed.
>>
>>54553689
And why does it hurt their business for someone they hired to have an opinion? Do you really not see the bigger issue here?
Why is it okay for someone who is fantastic at their job to be fired because they privately supported an anti-gay marriage bill?
>>
>>54553163
The authoritarian and supremacist religion of social justice trickles down into the software, along with the lack of logic that SJWs have. This is why FF is losing to Chrome.
>>
>>54553163
>Why should I care if the devs of something are SJWs if the end product is still decent?
You shouldn't. It's all /pol/ propaganda.
>>
>>54553421
/thread
R.I.P firefox, you were the best browser. and i will forever stay at 3.1
>>
>>54553766

I can see why a company might fear an employee saying or expressing something controversial. When you work for a company, you represent that company in a sense. I think there is a possibility that the blame lies in greed just as much as it does in opinion.
>>
>>54553163
When a project over-run by SJWs makes a decent product, I'll tell you.
>>
>>54553871
>I can see why a company might fear an employee saying or expressing something controversial.
What controversy? What would happen if they refused to fire him? Mass protests? Do you honestly think many people care THAT much about gay marriage to waste their time protesting?
Even if they did, what would happen? They'd get media attention for a few days and then nothing?
I bet you think it's okay to force a Christian bakery to accept customers who go against their beliefs too. Imagine if you tried asking a muslim butcher to clean a pig for you, and then having to force him to do it.
Grow a fucking spine. I don't even care about religious nuts, but you people who enable this mass whining are disgusting.
>>
>>54553871
>People with the wrong opinion shouldnt' be able to put food on the table
>>
>>54553960

You're saying the same thing in saying that I shouldn't support devs with opinions I don't agree with.
>>
>>54553871
Brendan didn't say or express anything. He donated a miserable thousand dollars to a campaign 6 years BEFORE becoming Mozilla's CEO. He even said sorry when the "issue" was brought up.
>>
>>54554032

I'm not saying I agree with it or support the decision to fire him, I'm just saying that I can understand why it might happen and potentially see other causes.
>>
>>54553979
More like "People shouldn't go around gassing Jews, therefore we'll go in and rescue them." There's a reason why people don't call WWII bigotry against nazis.
>>
>>54553163
Depends would you use software made by racists and sexists?
>>
>>54554065
How can you understand censorship? And don't be fooled, it IS censorship.
>>
>>54554065
You can understand and justify people digging up your past and using a controversial opinion to fire you? Even before you worked for that company? Even though you were not outspoken about the issue, merely supported it in what little way you could?

You are okay with basically everything you've ever said or done being on trial and if you have ever had even one wrong opinion in the eyes of a multitude of fanatic, zealous groups you're out on your ass?

No thank you.
>>
>>54554145

OP here, and yes. Hell, I think TempleOS is genius. I just create a disconnect between devs and their projects.
>>
>>54554155

I understand that that's bad. I don't agree with the decision. But ultimately I still have no objective proof that it's been a detriment to the quality of their software.
>>
>>54554215
The next person in charge pushed that mentality into the browser. It started with the crappy rip-off of Chrome UI, which the users actually liked. Then they put in things like Firefox Hello, which is a shitty Skype rip-off, and some authoritarian crap with signed extensions, and then went off on this tangent called Rust which is a whole new language they had to develop due to the fact they are too retarded to do C++. Meanwhile it's losing market share because it's slower than Chrome. The fact of the matter is there has never been a single software project where politics hasn't negatively influenced it. Even GNU is way more bloated than many unix-like systems. There's a reason why this stuff is prominent in low-IQ languages like Python and JS and no high-IQ languages like C and asm.
>>
>>54554302

Why is Rust a bad idea for them though? Seems to be gaining traction. If the users liked the UI changes, it seems like something that's more you personally disliking. Signed extensions honestly seem like a good idea to me security-wise.

I don't think the lack of speed is the reason for failure. Google has a lot more money and advertising going towards Chrome and provides advantages for people using other services within the Google ecosystem. Especially when things like Android come with Chrome, it seems easy to see how Chrome would surpass Firefox in popularity.
>>
File: feminism.png (248 KB, 800x988) Image search: [Google]
feminism.png
248 KB, 800x988
>>54553163
social justice means replacing the most competent people with incompetent fucks which leads to worse software which is used to sabotage free software in general

gnome was essentially fucked by feminism for example. firefox also lost a great ceo because of it

open source programs/communities for the most part only care about the quality of the code submitted by contributors. and it should always be like that

social justice and feminism are cancers destroying western society. people already have equal rights in most western countries. the longer this shit goes, the more harm it causes
>>
>>54554711
what happened with gnome
>>
>>54554711
>gnome was essentially fucked by feminism for example
This never happened.
>>
>>54554732
yes it was. they were running out of money because their cunt ceo was spending everything on retarded feminist programs
>>
>>54554732
faggot

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY2Mjc

trying to spin and deny reality now huh? i haven't forgotten about it
>>
>>54554754
they're doing fine now. it's been 2 years, clearly this wasn't the end
>>
>>54554810
i never said it was. doesn't change the fact they were in trouble because of feminism and social justice
>>
>>54554740
>>54554754
You do not understand what is the meaning of "cashflow". Gnome did not ever come close to running out of money. What happened was that Gnome cashflow was draining cash faster than they were receiving it, this is not the same idea as "running out of money". Their asset balance was always healthy and this cashflow problem was a minor administrative issue. The issue was solved simply by moving these social program items off Gnome's financial book sand into its own dedicated book.

You are truly confused if you ever conflate cashflow and cash balance to be the same idea.
>>
>>54554845
>You are truly confused if you ever conflate cashflow and cash balance to be the same idea.

cashflow is the derivative of cash balance.

this is as bad as mixing up position and speed.
>>
/g/ is made up of teenagers that aren't very smart so naturally they gravitate toward bitching about le evil womenz in tech and trans folks having the audacity to ask to be treated like a human being
>>
(You)
>>
>>54553163
>but in my mind avoiding software over irrelevant opinions is on par with not letting someone blow you because they're a communist.

Have you ever been close friends with a person whose political opinions are diametrically opposed to yours? It never works out well. Political affiliations are more than just that. They often define a person's personality and behavior.
>>
>>54554974
yeah I'm sure that's why people feel the need to police github of all fucking things
>>
File: 1462381889050.jpg (41 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1462381889050.jpg
41 KB, 512x384
I only care if the dev makes money off of me somehow, because then they can further their shitty ideals with that money in some way
>>
File: 1383189597377.png (358 KB, 1000x659) Image search: [Google]
1383189597377.png
358 KB, 1000x659
>>54553163
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as /g/, is in fact, pol/g, or as I've recently taken to calling it, /pol/ plus /g/.
>>
>>54553163
This: >>54553849
Except replace "/pol/ propaganda" with"/pol/ cancer."
>>
>>54553163
Because the end product won't be decent, sorry

See: firefox. The political ideals come with a pervasive world view that affects the way they approach software design. SJWs are more likely to focus on UX and social features and do a really bad job at it.
>>
Their toxic ideology means that they slip in nasty shit sooner or later (as seen in Firefox, Mint, etc), and I hate having to keep a constant eye on my software rather than trusting that the devs will produce good improvements--I could use that time to be coding or spending time with my kids.
>>
I won't give them any support, even as a number for who is using their free software. I despise their totalitarian mindset. Fuck them. They want to drive out devs who aren't drinking their own koolaid, fine, they'll be losing users like me.
>>
>github
>codecucks
>>
>>54554988
This.
>>
>>54554711
This man speaks truly.
>>
>>54553163
Popularity is power. Enough popularity and one can become Google, mankind overseer. I'm not going to give this kind of power to some kind of extremist retard.

but hey, it's anime image thread anyway, isn't it
>>
Only people who take politics too seriously (autists) care about what the producers of the goods they consume believe.
I'm looking for the best deal, not to further my political agenda.
>>
File: 4L_hmjR8mR9.jpg (56 KB, 512x387) Image search: [Google]
4L_hmjR8mR9.jpg
56 KB, 512x387
>>54553163
Sjws are degenerate cancer and they need to be placed in mental institutions
>>
>>54560524
This is it exactly. Remember that google searches are free.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.