[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /g/ do the drop and credit card smear, or is /g/ more of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: howtoapplythermalpaste.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
howtoapplythermalpaste.webm
3 MB, 640x480
Does /g/ do the drop and credit card smear, or is /g/ more of a drop and smush with the cooler kinda guy?
>>
>>54552986
Smoosh
>>
/g/ is part of the "pea sized drop" cargo cult. Not that any of this matters, just don't use too little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ
>>
>>54552986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ
>>
>>54552986

That webby will never not make me laugh.
>>
>>54552986
waffle pattern and smoosh
>>
>>54553005
I was just about to post that.

Fuck it, I'll post it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

I've always used the pea method. I did the smear method once, and it didn't work for shit. Cleaned it off, and pea'd it up, and worked great.
>>
>>54552999
That's not what a cargo cult is.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnyoJtv9Cx0
>>
>>54553014
Sounds like you have downs.
>>
>>54553014
when a giant glob of that shit paste fell off the side as the showgirl shoved it around with that plastic card thing, I fucking lost my shit.
>>
Done both Pea Size and Credit Card smear. Pea Size is easier, less messy, and gives about the same performance.
>>
>>54552986
i look up where the die is under the lid, put a super small drop right there, and put the heat sync down. i dont delid because im not autistic, and i dont put so much down it covers the entire lid because im not inexperienced. with that said, theres no way the first 20 times i did it i would have been able to judge the perfect amount of paste, so i really dont care what other people are able to do. also, if you're inexperienced, get non-conductive thermal paste like ceramique 2 so even if you do completely fuck it up it probably wont ruin your stuff
>>
>>54553005
>happy little tree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Wo1ubuzAE
>>
>>54552986

>paste dripping off to one side
>partly smearing the motherboard
>this webm triggers me to no end

Delete this.
>>
File: Scotland-USA.jpg (66 KB, 408x250) Image search: [Google]
Scotland-USA.jpg
66 KB, 408x250
Guys please help , this is my build it arrived today (temporary until my computer is returned) I put everything together and tried to power it up, when I switch it on the case fans and lights come on for a second then it just dies. What should I be checking first ? It's such a minimal build I'm assuming the problem should be easy to find. Thanks
>>
File: 1.jpg (15 KB, 620x464) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
15 KB, 620x464
>>54554636
Sorry forgot the link : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KNtBgs
>>
>>54552986
long term they are generally the same, though you're more likely to overapply with the pea method

short term, spreading with a card will be slightly better because it accelerates break-in.
>>
>>54554650
>>54554636
M8, swap out the Bentium :D:D:D:D and the H81 for an Athlon X4 845 or 880/870/860K and a FM2+ motherboard, preferably an A78 or A88X for the best overclocking support.
Also,
>R7 250
You can find much better alternatives in the used market, unless that's a carryover.
>>
>>54553070
>not using Feynman's definition of cargo cult
>surely you must be joking
>>
>>54554728
I'm just desperate to get it working all the stuff is already here and out its packaging lol any idea what I could have done to cause this not fully starting up ? The psu only is connected to the motherboard correct ?
>>
>>54554776
Remove and replace the CMOS battery
Then check to see if all the connectors are fitted properly. You might be forgetting either a 4-pin MOLEX to the motherboard or a 4/8-pin CPU power connector.
>>
>>54552986
Couldn't afford the fancy stuff so I just used semen, it's more fun and I think cools just as good as fancy stuff too.
>>
File: Whaaat.jpg (25 KB, 304x460) Image search: [Google]
Whaaat.jpg
25 KB, 304x460
>>54554829
Thank you it was the cpu connector I had left out. Now one final problem , my monitor is just reading no hdmi detected ... Any ideas ? I be tried connecting to the mobo hdmi port and the one on the graphics card.
>>
>>54555082
You need to remove the R7 250 and connect the HDMI to the motherboard's header. Go into the BIOS and disable integrated GPU output. Power down and reinstall the graphics card/HDMI cord.
>>
>>54552986
I just drop a pea sized amount in the middle then drop the heatsink on it. Never fails
>>
>>54555142
Cheers for the help folks I'll get back on it tomorrow it's like 5am here in Scotland. Forgot to pick up a little usb stick to install the OS as well.
>>
>>54552986
single drop at the center.

Firmly but evenly place your heatsink directly onto it, taking care not to apply pressure unevenly. Screw in your heatsink and you're done.

The “smear out” method is fucking terrible and its usage is perpetuated by clueless morons.
>>
>>54555353
>single drop at the center.
you mean single line, oriented with cores

>taking care not to apply pressure unevenly.
nearly impossible, you will undoubtedly smear it one way or another if human and not a CNC industrial robot

>The “smear out” method is fucking terrible
doesn't do anything the heatsink-press method won't, just faster because it accelerates break-in.
>>
>>54555396
>you mean single line, oriented with cores
Please see >>54553005

There is no legitimate benefit to the line method.
>>
>>54555396
>doesn't do anything the heatsink-press method won't, just faster because it accelerates break-in.
The heatsink press method won't create shittons of air bubbles, the smear method absolutely will and will fuck over your cooling.

This has been the result of every thermal paste method comparison I have seen on the internet to date, including temperature/performance comparisons on real heatsinks.
>>
>>54555424
Correct. If you are not exclusively watching a YouTube channel of incompetent Canadian fags, use a pea-sized blob or line of thermal paste and then carefully lower the heatsink down onto the CPU. Do not spread it out beforehand or lift up the cooler after the first drop or you will get air pockets.
>knows how flat things work
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.