[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Lightweight Linux OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: ubuntu.png (4 KB, 144x144) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu.png
4 KB, 144x144
What is a lightweight linux os? It has to be able to run on a machine with half a gig of vram and 2 gigs of ddr2 ram, along with a core 2 duo. Should be able to run well, without fucking lagging to shite.

Any suggestions?

also post your favorite lightweight linux os's
>>
tinycore
>>
android
>>
File: 1460331211652.png (47 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1460331211652.png
47 KB, 600x600
>>
>>54547975
android?
???
>>
>>54547793

Does it need a desktop environment? If not just install Debian or something.
>>
>>54548148
which is more lightweight
debian or lubuntu
>>
>>54547793
I'm asuming you're a noob so it's better to stay in the *buntu zone. A c2d and 2GB of RAM are good for most distros. I'd recommend Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE. Lubuntu is meant of really old computers so you don't need that.

If you consider yourself not that much of a noob, go for openSUSE/Debian and choose a light DE (again XFCE or MATE).

All these distros just werk but you can find a lot more online support for the *buntus, that's the only real difference.
>>
Ubuntu.

512mb of vram, 2gb of ram and a core2duo is plenty to run pretty much any distro.

Ubuttnutt with windowmaker idles with 70-90mb of ram.

Example: ubuntu is currently running cleaning on my T40 with 512mb of ram, 16mb of vram and a 1.3ghz pentium m
>>
>>54547793
browsers will eat up your RAM regardless of OS.
>>
How is lubuntu on a powerbook g4?
>>
Gentoo
Arch
Lubuntu
>>
gentoo
>>
Ubuntu Mate would run fine.
>>
>>54547793
debian ?
takes 54mb with X + aweseomwm running
>>
>>54548406
I am going to install lubuntu
the goal was to make the machine a download server where i ssh into it and youtube-dl some content that i want it to.

I don't need it to do anything more than that.
>>
>>54548162
Gentoo
>>
>>54547793
Why not just run XP? Anyway, Debian with Mate or XFCE will be fine. LXDE looks to awkward to me.
>>
>>54548406
Arch uses less while playing music and having a cool riced desktop
>>
>>54549251
hello Jordan fuck me in the ass please
>>
Xubuntu is pretty good. I have arch with xfce on my netbook and it runs pretty well as well. I found that my biggest issue wasnt ever the ram but the cpu being underpowered.
>>
>>54549265
Sorry, I'm not interested in sex. I do masturbate once a week but I couldn't bare the thought of physical sexual contact. When someone brushes against me and touches the skin even on my arm it makes me grind my teeth and want to pull out my hair. I hate it.
>>
>>54547793
Lubuntu or Xubuntu.
>>
>>54547793
>2 gigs ddr2

bitch, I'm running a computer with just one.
pick some distro, use XFCE or LXDE.
prepare your anus when using firefox. the fucker will eat your ram
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.