[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about switching from debain to freebsd should I? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: logo-full.png (36 KB, 485x175) Image search: [Google]
logo-full.png
36 KB, 485x175
Thinking about switching from debain to freebsd should I? Is there anything that freebsd does better or should I just stuck to debian
>>
Why would you change if you have a working system? What do you expect to gain?
>>
>>54546835
If you want to use a BSD variant for desktop use you should try OpenBSD
>>
>>54546868
>What do you expect to gain?
He obviously doesn't know.
>Is there anything that freebsd does better
>>
>>54546868
I've been switching operating systems a lot lately I'm just experimenting seeing which one I prefer I've had ubuntu, fedora, arch and debain but I'm think of moving from Linux to BSD but I'm not really sure if its worth it and just wanted your input on it
>>
>>54546939
nothing to lose

don't like it? Move back
>>
>>54546868
>Why would you change
>on /g/
>a board for technology enthusiasts
because it's what we do. apart from shitposting and shilling products we don't really like
>>
>>54546835
Is it a desktop or a server?

The only valid reason to do a complete overhaul of a working system and install FreeBSD would be to use ZFS. I mean, there's really no point other than that to take something that works and complicating it by installing something unfamiliar.
>>
>>54546993
>ZFS
>fragmentation
>must keep at least 20% free space to avoid grinding to a halt
ishyggy
>>
>>54546970
>nothing to lose
except time
>>
>>54546835
FreeBSD has the ports system which is way better than apt. Using something like portmaster, and you have full control over what you install being able to configure their instalations.
>>
>>54546939
you also get to experience the feeling of 1997-linux when most of the stuff didn't work out of the box
>>
>>54546835
By all means install BSD. You sound like the type of person who's curiosity will eventually trump the advice of others, so must learn your own painful lessons.
>trust me, bsd sucks.
>>
File: laughing-alfonso.jpg (23 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing-alfonso.jpg
23 KB, 600x400
>>54547056
>ports is way better than apt
Ports is just a glorified shell script that pulls down source code and compiles it.

In what world is this better than dpkg/APT unless you are some sort of Arch meme master?
>>
>>54546991
Then why would he ask to do it? If he's enthusiast he wouldn't want to be spoonfed the answers when he could experience them himself.
>>
>>54547056
>ports
>no security updates
No, thanks.
>>
>>54547089
Why would you compare it to Arch? It inspired Gentoo's Portage system.
>>
>>54547235
I'm not comparing it to arch, I'm comparing people who like ports to arch users.

Also, portage sucks.

Any ports system is a poor man's package manager. There is a reason even Arch has AUR you can use instead.
>>
>>54546835
Yes.
Also, yes.
>>
File: 6ee.png (20 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
6ee.png
20 KB, 400x462
>>54546835
>tfw free from the cpu microcode botnet
it feels good
>>
>>54547664
AMD CPU? Intels shut down after 30 minutes without microcode
>>
>>54547757
Why would anyone go Intel or Nvidia in this day and age?
Still hoping RISC-V wins in the end, so that we can quit AMD too.
>>
>>54547773
We don't need more architectures, we just need more support for existing ones like POWER and MIPS.
>>
>>54547782
Are those architectures under a non-viral open-source licence with no patent shit?
>>
>>54547757
amd is no different and i'm referring to the rng freebsd uses the intel cpu does not shut down.
>>
>>54547861
Both are
>>
>>54546835
i-install debian gnu/kfreebsd
>>
>>54547274
But AUR is more like Ports than Pacman is. Are you certain you have a clue what you are talking about here? On what any of this means?
>>
>>54547274
USE flags are fucking amazing
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.