[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: p1000278.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
p1000278.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
Previously on: >>54524583
Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
first for systemd is alright
>>
Know of any resources for arch installation and use that are a bit more clear than the wiki sites? Maybe a YouTube that explains stuff clearly or a guide that makes sense and explains with command usage as well?
>>
>>54544635
Reposting
>>
>>54546351
You literally copy and paste the begginers guide.
There really isnt much else to help you with.I tells you why you are doing what its telling you to do. Need more help?
man <program>
>>
>>54546351
>YouTube
Video for learning IT.
You're stupid anon.
>>
>>54546470
For the fucking install process and partitioning process fuckwad as the god damped distribution is refusing to run gparted, sfdisk, fdisk, xin, or any other damn partition manager that I know of.

>>54546380
Man isn't functioning I'm the UEFI/BIOS installation instance so far.
>>
>>54547123
The wiki tells you what to use and how
>>
hey /g/ what kind of games are you guys playing on linux
>>
>>54547123
Try using some different install media. Yours might have some corrput bits. Did you get the big .iso file? Like arch.both.blahblah.iso or whatever?
>>
Deluge and qbittorrent arent obeying my up and down limits.
I set both of them to 2mbps and they use the full pipe instead
What can cause this?
>>
File: file.png (8 KB, 388x71) Image search: [Google]
file.png
8 KB, 388x71
whats up with my font?
how do I fix it?
>>
>>54547255
"fix xorg.conf after pacman -Syu without internet"
>>
>>54547123

Works on my Machine(tm) and all the other machines in the world(c).
>>
>>54547348

Why are you still playing games from 2004?
>>
>>54547331
There are no correct font setting. Only different preferences.
>>
>>54547331
What exactly is the "problem"?
>>
@54547404
Reminder that idiot's don't know how to link posts on 4chan.
>>
Reminder that idiots like this post on /g/ >>54545626.

>doesn't know what su does
>doesn't know what machinectl/systemd-nspawn is
>doesn't know the difference between depreciate and deprecate

>>54545764

Check your syslog.
>>
>>54547406
The font is not centered in height
its driving me crazy
this happens on all window borders
>>
>>54547374
Cause everything else is shitty for casuals now/
>>
>>54547418
Why post this if you cant do it yourself
>>
[quote]54547418[/quote]

I know how to quote/link posts, I just forgot that one sideways caret.
>>
>>54547460
Sure thing.
>>
>>54547460
delet this
>>
>>54547420
su has nothing to do with nspawn
su elevates the shell

https://tlhp.cf/lennart-poettering-su/
>>
File: 3a.jpg (451 KB, 1116x1729) Image search: [Google]
3a.jpg
451 KB, 1116x1729
I need a durable laptop with good battery life

I want to go camping for a week with a laptop and shitpost in my comfy hammock when the sun goes down
>>
>>54547607
and how's that relevant to gnu/linux?
>>
I havent touched my "autologin" since 2013.
Everytime i try to update to the "latest and greated systemd user experiance" it bricks my user completly and i have to go to liveusb to change everything back so i can log back in.
Any retard list to set this shit up?
I've read and read the wiki,but shit dosent make sense,it says one thing but you do the opposite.
I just want to login to getty then startx auto and then lock the screen
>>
>>54547677
>t bricks my user completly and i have to go to liveusb to change everything back so i can log back in.
very fucking helpful and descriptive

more details maybe?
What exactly happens?
>>
>>54547651
because I want a laptop that werks gud with linux and has a gud battery life with linicks

I don't wnat a chinkpad and I've heard their battery life is shit anyway
>>
>>54547714
>bricks
User cannot login. at all
from getty
from sshd
There isnt much else to say. start machine,kernel spam.go to getty,goes black right away(not xorg because root can login and go to a wm)
>>
>>54547720
>werks gud with linux and has a gud battery life with linicks
intel cpu + intel igpu
non-broadcom wlan chip

there you go, rest is up to you
>>
File: stop-stallman.jpg (6 KB, 300x57) Image search: [Google]
stop-stallman.jpg
6 KB, 300x57
http://www.strawpoll.me/10211671

c h e e r s
>>
>>54547764
tanks
>>
>>54547516

That's the point.
>>
>>54547331
>>54547423
Anyone
>>
>>54547937
So we recreate a procces that has already been in play for as long as gnu came along.
just reinventing the wheel to look like he is important. look, he does not present any argument why su is deprecated. just said ""su" is really a broken concept."
>>
>>54547964

su is broken for usage with systemd's nspawn. machinectl is used to control those nspawn containers alone. Stop spreading FUD. No one is taking away your su.
>>
>>54548004
Until it is phased out and systemd removes its usability,much like udev/polkit/consolekit
>>
>>54547964
>he does not present any argument why su is deprecated. just
>just said ""su" is really a broken concept."
Not really.

>he problem is that what "su" is supposed to do is very unclear. On one hand it's supposed to open a new session and change a number of execution context parameters (uid, gid, env, ...), and on the other it's supposed to inherit a lot concepts from the originating session (tty, cgroup, audit, ...). Since this is so weakly defined it's a really weird mix&match of old and new paramters. To keep this somewhat managable we decided to only switch the absolute minimum over, and that excludes XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, specifically because XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is actually bound to the session/audit runtime and those we do not transition.

>Long story short: "su" is really a broken concept. It will given you kind of a shell, and it's fine to use it for that, but it's not a full login, and shouldn't be mistaken for one.

>>54548051
And? Xorg is old is broken as well, but has been "well tested and worked" for the last 40 years.
Does it mean we shouldn't phase it out and replace it with Mir/Wayland?

I kinda expect su to be just an alias to "machinectl shell" in the future.
>>
>>54548051

>proven wrong
>keeps spreading FUD and ridiculous assumptions

I know this is the anonymous internet, but no one will take you seriously if you keep on going like that.
>>
>>54547279
Yeah I figure Rufus may have f-d up on making the Bootable USB.
>>54547188
I'll take another look at the wiki articles again, last night I read through them and it wasn't exactly clear on what to do for what purpose
>>54547358
I expect it to work on mine as well, it's just being a cut and I suspect that the other anon may be onto something with the potential for a corrupted boot media
>>
>>54548150

>I kinda expect su to be just an alias to "machinectl shell" in the future.

That is never going to hapen.

>machinectl may be used to introspect and control the state of the systemd(1) virtual machine and container registration manager systemd-machined.service(8).

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/machinectl.html
>>
>>54548150
>xorg
[citation needed]
>Wayland
Wayland does not work on the largest driver percentage for linux(nvidia).Noveau is a joke,and nvidia is pushing more shit on each card to prevent reverse engineering.
Wayland requires special de/wm's to use,which no real dev is going to convert or maintain two versions.
>>
File: 1623972.jpg (260 KB, 860x759) Image search: [Google]
1623972.jpg
260 KB, 860x759
Firefox or Chromium?
>>
File: fff.gif (156 KB, 600x455) Image search: [Google]
fff.gif
156 KB, 600x455
>>54548184
>machinectl may be used to introspect and control the state of the systemd(1) virtual machine and container registration manager systemd-machined.service(8).

hol up
systemd can create and manage virtual machines?
>>
>>54548199
>nvidia is pushing more shit on each card to prevent reverse engineering.
Yes, they totally don't do it to sell more cards, no, they do it to prevent free driver devs. Sure thing, buddy.
>>
>>54548280
They clock everything lower by default such as 50mhz graphics clock,270mhz mem transfer rate, 101mhz processor clock, when it runs with blob, which has no effect for the blob driver,but it prevents it from scaling up to useable levels.
Power management is broken,memory scaling is broken.Performance is laughable,if you can even call it functionaing

They promised open source support years ago,and they gave half assed instructions.
>>
>>54548221
>Firefox
>>
I call it Linux with X Window System and GNU.
>>
>>54548727
I call it systemd/Linux + Xorg + KDE + Firefox + mpv
>>
File: Lgx_yggdrasil_fall_1993.jpg (489 KB, 1407x1441) Image search: [Google]
Lgx_yggdrasil_fall_1993.jpg
489 KB, 1407x1441
>>54548727
This is actually what one of the first ever GNU/Linux distributions was referred to as.

Yggdrasil Linux/GNU/X
>>
What's the best desktop environment?
>>
>>54548868
There are multiple factors to consider.
What are you looking for exactly?
>>
>>54548868
fluxbox
>>
Should I switch from Awesome to dwm/i3w senpai?
>>
How bad would it be if I never updated my ubuntu server again? All I need it for is plex, filesharing, backups and some testing on VMs.

I can't be bothered to restart it is the main reason.
>>
>>54548947
i3; yes
>>
>>54548947
do you seek validation on every single one of your decision on an anonymous forum?
>>
>>54548979
check only for security updates
>>
Installed Ubuntu 16.04 last night.

I opened the software center, went to the update tab and clicked update.. then it seems to have froze.

Now I can't access my installed apps, or the update tab.

What gives?
>>
>>54547255
Terraria and 0ad
>>
>>54548868
The one I'm using
>>
>>54549046
Will I then never have to restart it?
>>
Is schedtool worth using? I have -ck kernel but im confused as to what each switch actually does
>>
>>54549102
Are you afraid it will explode or something?
>>
In what way is something like Fedora different to Ubuntu?

I know that sounds retarded as I'm sure there's differences but as far as I can see, the only difference is the preinstalled packages, WM/DE and package manager. Are they usually the only changes?
>>
>>54549112
Last time I updated my ubuntu it refused to boot. I don't want to deal with shit like that again.
>>
>>54549102
After an update some services/processes will require restarting but you don't have to restart the whole machine to achieve that.
You can restart only those processes.

Fedora based distros have a tool called "needs-restarting" that will print you a list of services that have been updated and are ready to be restarted.

I'm fairly sure Ubuntu has a similar tool for that, just look for it
>>
>>54549102

You're not running a Fortun 500 company and serving important stuff to millions of people. How long does it take you to reboot your computer? 1 minute? I doubt it's even that long. Surely you can spare one minute of "downtime" every fortnight or so.
>>
>>54549127

The same core differences as between each (non spinoff) distribution:

>package manager
>release model
>certain philosophies which apply to packages and their treatment
>>
>>54549139
I assume he wants to grow his e-peen by waiting for the number under "uptime" to grow large enough
>>
>>54549127
>Are they usually the only changes?
The noticeable ones, yes.

Then there's community guidelines, packaging guidelines (Fedora literally stomps over Ubuntu in this regard) and other stuff like that, policies towards non-free software etc.
>>
>>54549156
So for a typical user there isn't a whole lot of difference besides convenience and your definition of ethics when it comes to software?
>>
>>54549139
>>54549161
see
>>54549132
>>
>>54548986
should I?
>>
>>54549203
Probably not anon.
Use what you like the most, not what some retarded tripcunt claims to work best
>>
I'm trying to get rid of all traces from qbittorrent-nox. Is deleting every file and folder I can find manually the best way? make uninstall just threw fucking errors at me.
>>
>>54549189

There is and it's directly related to the above mentioned things. Even more than the usual "looks" differences.

You can make your Gentoo and Debian look the same. What sets them apart as distributions is the package manager, default/intended way of supplying packages (compiling from source/binary packages) and philosophies (Debian patching stuff heavily while Gentoo is as close as possible to upstream). There are of course more differences.
>>
>>54549266

Which distribution?
>>
>>54549307
ubuntu 14.04

I installed it from source a while ago for reason I can't remember and make uninstall doesn't work.
>>
>>54549332

Try this:

>create a directory somewhere
>make install DESTDIR=your_directory
>look at which files are in that directory and delete them from your actual file system
>>
>>54549187
>>54549189

Alright thanks. So are there any distros that tend not to patch upstream? I'd rather support a distro with devs who use that practice.
>>
>>54549389
>>54549332

or use "checkinstall" and then look at the installed content inside the package.
>>
>>54549420
Fedora actually does that
>>
>>54549389
I didn't know destdir was an option.

Does make install on it's own install the application in the folder you unzipped?

>>54549424
Thanks I'll look into that.
>>
>>54549453

>Does make install on it's own install the application in the folder you unzipped?

No. I assume it installs it where it's defined in the makefile.
>>
>>54549528
Ah I did think so until you mentioned the destdir option. I thought without it maybe the application installs into it's own source root folder.
>>
What music player does /fglt/ use?
>>
>>54549592
There's sadly not a single music player for GNU/Linux that's even remotely good as windows' foobotnet2000.

After months of looking for one proper one I settled on mpd + G.M.P.C.
It's "good enough"
>>
I'm thinking about switching from Windows, but I've heard that you can't play eroge on Linux. Can any weebs here confirm or deny this? I'm not sure if I could use an OS that won't let me fap.
>>
>>54549733
Most eroge should run just fine with Wine
>>
>>54549631
if you like your cult player this much just use it through WINE, it runs flawlessly. source: i was a fanboy of it too once.
>>54549592
I can't decide between Deadbeef and cmus but most of the time i use deadbeef.
>>
>>54549785
Really? I had heard that Wine can't handle games that require Japanese locale.
>>
>>54548868
Gnome is the official desktop environment of GNU.
>>
>>54548868
KDE is the official desktop environment of GNU.
>>
>>54549890
You simply use convmv to convert the filenames to utf-8, then you run
LANG=ja_JP.utf8
in the terminal or script you use to start your game.

Oh, and you need to get japanese MS fonts in your wine bottle, some games won't run without them.
>>
>>54549943
http://www.gnu.org/software/software.html
ctrl f KDE - 0 hits
>>
>>54549981
>GNU Gneural Network

Introduction

Gneural Network is the GNU package which implements a programmable neural network. The current version, 0.9.1, has the following features:

A scripting language is available which allows users to define their own neural network without having to know anything about coding.
Advanced programmers can use the methods/routines inside the code for their own purposes.
When defining the neurons of a network, it is possible to choose among various discriminant and activation functions, etc.
Different methods to train a neural network are available, such as genetic algorithms, multi-scale Monte Carlo optimizers, simulated annealing, and others.
Several training methods can run in parallel on clusters.
Neural networks can be saved once trained for later use.
The code is truly cross platform since it is entirely developed in C and does not depend on any external library.

I didn't know about this.
>>
>>54549981
That's just because RMS is still pissy about KDE using the objectively superior Qt back when it wasn't as free as he wanted it to be.
>>
>>54550102
No, it's simply because kde is not a gnu package.
>>
>>54550102
KDE is not GNU package.
GNOME is since GNOME stands for GNU Network Object Model Environment
>>
>>54549068
Suso apt-get install Fedora
>>
If i want to install gentoo in a usb what kind of size should i use?
8GB?
>>
>>54550960
64 realistically
>>
>>54550181
They've retired that acronym. You shouldn't be using it to describe the modern Gnome project.
>>
Is Manjaro fine for a starter OS?
>>
>>54551077
no
>>
File: chainsawicelake.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
chainsawicelake.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>54549082
holy shit, anon. Didn't know 0ad existed. Trying it now.
>>
I want to install leenuccs on a Virtual Machine would you approve the use of
>Oracle VM VirtualBox
Should i use another one? Is it bloated or something? I don't know about this
>>
If I install a version of Ubuntu and then install a graphics card a few days from now, will it be able to find the drivers or will I have to do a clean install?
>>
>>54551192
libvirtd with virt-manager
>>
File: pepewoz.jpg (1003 KB, 4500x4334) Image search: [Google]
pepewoz.jpg
1003 KB, 4500x4334
>>54551260
I'm on windows
>>
>>54551301
then kys
>>
File: tipsfedora.gif (2 MB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
tipsfedora.gif
2 MB, 380x285
>>54551330
xDD
sure thing ;)
>>
Will upgrading to windows 10 mess up my dual boot?
>>
>>54551141
y not?
>>
>>54551411
garbage distro built on top of already garbage distro

just pick something usable and roll with it
>>
>>54551236
install gentoo
>>
How to I install a desktop environment onto a debian installation without one? I used 'sudo apt-get install xfce4' but what do I do to apply it afterwards?
>>
Would Trisquel be a good distro for beginners to learn GNU+Linux? I mean, at the same level (or better) than Ubuntu, Debian, Mint or Fedora. I don't know the reason why but I really liked it.
>>
>>54552385
Start X by typing "startx" without the quotation marks.
>>
So I'm new to linux. I was using vivaldi 1.1, but the screen keeps flashing on it. How do I uninstall it and remove it from my system on ubuntu?
>>
Every java jar i run royally fucks my system in half.
It takes 100% load on every core and takes upwards of 12gb of ram.
What the fuck is going on?
>>
File: 1444362835895.png (405 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1444362835895.png
405 KB, 1024x768
So i've been using Manjaro for a few months, and now I've recently got a problem with my 3.5mm clip on microphone. When I boot up my computer, the microphone doesn't work and pavucontrol doesn't detect it, but alva seems to. If I unplug my mic and plug it back in, then it works - pavucontrol detects it and it works fine. Has anyone had this problem before? How do I make it so my computer just detects it at boot again? I've tried the troubleshooting section on the arch wiki and no luck with google
>>
>>54553344
Probly need some sort of udev rule to detect it on start,and not having to plug it in to trigger the autodetect.
>>
Question: How do I get a KDE5 distro to work perfectly on my macbook

>wifi works
>all keys light up
>capslock works
>function keys do what they're supposed to
>ctrl and cmd swapped
>trackpad multitouch and right click
>red light from the depths of hell isn't glowing out of audio port
>>
>>54553430
>how do i get
You do it your self
>macbook
I forsee trouble in your future.
>>
>>54553458
wow, thanks for not even fucking trying shitbag
>>
File: 1463057568705.jpg (139 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1463057568705.jpg
139 KB, 500x375
>>54553473
Wow thanks for not even googling your macbook model and checking how people have gotten drivers for it to work in linux.Wow thanks for not taking any effort to google how to install things.
Wow thanks for not taking any effort to just go in and fucking do it getting your hand dirty finding out your self.

I think you should just stick with the macbook.You clearly need to be hand held
>>
>>54549106
i'd say it's worth using

i encode videos pretty often, and using schedtool allows me to prioritise things like games over ffmpeg, so ffmpeg won't slow the game down at all

here's mine (some of it is just left over from the default arch config file), to give you an idea
http://hastebin.com/ojomiduvug.vala
>>
File: a.png (18 KB, 618x461) Image search: [Google]
a.png
18 KB, 618x461
>>54549890
if anything it's easier to run games with japanese locale

box at the top is part of playonlinux, in the miscellaneous tab
>>
>>54553607
I dont know what i should or shouldnt add.Or if im over controling it and lose performance
>>
>>54546374
Well fuck you guys, I went ahead and installed Xubuntu on it. Everything seems smooth. Let's see whether or not my computer keeps living on.

Now that I have it installed, I don't even know where to go from here (in a "what's something fun I can do now" sort of way).
>>
File: 1463150588629.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1463150588629.jpg
126 KB, 1280x720
Hello, anyone there?
I'm pulling my hair out atm
I've got a b43 wifi card and it won't work.

I've tried the following, i'm on jessie btw.
Editing /etc/network/interfaces (systemd cannot raise the interface)
Rfkill unblock all (it's already unblocked)
Putting networkmanager is managed mode (does nothing)

I'm using b43 cutter or whatever the name of that package is, it was working fine until a few minutes ago. I'm raging because i cannot figure this shit out.
Sorry for LQ post, on mobile.
>>
>>54554507
>b43

Triggered.
I really fucking hated that card.

You need to use the propriety driver called broadcom-wl
>>
>>54554565
Thanks for the advice.
How would i go about removing the firmware that was installed from b43-firmware-installer? Would purging it remove the .fw files?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-15_00-00-22.png (28 KB, 816x304) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-15_00-00-22.png
28 KB, 816x304
>>54554599
Yes.
It will delete it.

Also note the installer for the proprietary driver will blacklist the former driver, so no problem
>>
File: IMG_20160514_200059945.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160514_200059945.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Sup /flt/ I've been trying out different distros on an old Compaq my dad was throwing out. I've tried
>Ubuntu
>xubuntu
>Debian w/XFCE
>Debian w/GNOME

All of them crashed into pic related except for xubuntu which worked fine. Any ideas what's causing it?
>>
What hard drive should I buy for my x220?
>>
Is this guy full of shit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e521jFJ-TDo
>>
>>54554769
Computer specs?
>>
>>54554892
Athlon 2 with 3 gigs RAM
>>
>>54554975
Not sure why it's crashing then. I assumed it might be something to do with insufficient ram.
>>
>>54554812
Not going to watch the video but the answer is yes, there is no best distro except for the one which suits you the most.
>>
>>54551371
Yes, but if you have a live distro at hand fixing grub is easy.
>>
>>54552442
Trisquel is good for beginners and the community is helpful but unfortunately a lot of people need proprietary drivers for their computers to work.
>>
>>54555302
He says UbuntuMate is best and complains about hobbyists
>>
>>54555700
Doesn't matter what he says, read what I just wrote again.
>>
>>54554507
Just get a new Intel card dude. It'll be easier and for 23 bucks you can have a better card with Bluetooth integrated.
>>
What do you guys think about Debian?

I've been running Testing on my Desktop and Sid on my laptop and I've loved the experience so far for the past few months

I even ran into a bug and reported it, the package manager dude got back to me in less than 12 hours and was super nice and helped me work around the issue while it got patched. Stuck around until everything was fine
>>
>>54556384
Same experience here, I really like it.
Bonus tip: use dwww to browse the documentation
>>
>>54556384
Stopped distro hopping around 2008, been using Debian exclusively for Servers (stable) and Desktops (sid) since then. Most likely won't start distro hopping again anytime soon.
>>
>>54556484
It just seems like it has everything I could ever want/need, and it seems like it's ran by people who know what they're doing. I'd even love to participate when I become more experienced with it

>>54556410
Thanks for the tip bruv
>>
>>54556484
why do you use sid on normal desktops? is testing bad?
>>
Anyone knows a way to get infinality on debian Jessie? I tried with chenxiaolong's git but it doesn't seems to compile anymore.

Or another way to improve font rendering
>>
>>54556518
Not him bug I do the same because of the freeze testing experiences sometimes. Also the bugs get resolved extremely fast and with apt-listbugs you can avoid most of them.
>>
How do I enable nVidia's proprietary driver before installation? I don't see any text (even during installation)

Upgrading Xubuntu to 16.04. I've faced the exact same problem a few times cause of my graphics card (gts250) and switching over to proprietary helped. Not quite sure how to do it before installation
>>
What is the meaning of thins on command line:
echo "\"

I thought it would have nothing appear on the console, but instead it just lets me type a bunch of stuff with ">" in front of it.
>>
>>54556497
>and it seems like it's ran by people who know what they're doing.
They do sometimes fuck up (i.e. OpenSSL rng), but they're at least honest about it when shit hits the fan. And their security team is usually pretty quick to patch stuff, even for the sta(b)le branch.
>>
>>54556555
I meant to say "this" not thins, just for clarity.
Goodness.
>>
>>54556518
Testing gets security fixes last. Debian development works like this: New stuff goes to experimental first. When it proves to be somewhat stable (like Ubuntu-"stable" level, no obvious bugs) it gets moved to sid (what they call "unstable", but that naming is kinda misleading). After some time in sid, it will move to testing and basically just stay there until it gets replaced by a newer version that has been in sid for some time. Eventually, tesing gets "frozen" (no new versions, just bug fixes) to become the new "stable" (aka official release).

Experimental is really bleeding edge, but can (and will) break at times. Sid gets the latest fixes from upstream within hours or maybe a day or two. Stable gets security fixes from the security team (backported to the versions in stable). Testing eventually gets the fixes from sid, but usually only after a few days, maybe even weeks.
>>
I'm loving NixOS, but the ati_unfree drivers are a pain in the ass.

Specifically, I've run into a freezing/lockup issue when switching to console / dragging windows / launching a game - independent of window manager. I think the issue might be related to kernel modesetting, but can't seem to properly disable it in configuration.nix. any tips?
>>
>>54556555
It's waiting for you to close the quote
>>
Can you help me with an issue please?
I'm a newbie and I'm having some issues with my xubuntu installation on my Netbook.

While the operating system itself works great once it boots, it has issues booting up and shutting down.

During boot up it seems to hang mid-boot, ending in the netbook suspending itself, forcing me to wait a few seconds and pressing the Power On button again to get the boot to continue.

Powering the device off has a similar issue. Once I press Shut Down the netbook again suspends after a short while, forcing me to press the Power button once again. When I do, I see the standard login screen from where I have to click shutdown once again to get the netbook to fully turn off.

Interestingly enough this wasn't a problem with elementaryOS that I was running previously. Unfortunately eOS is a bit too heavy on my netbook.

How can I go about fixing this? I haven't been successful in finding any solutions by myself.
>>
>>54556689
tried the free drivers? they're roughly the same performance-wise. "use the proprietary driver if you want performance" is for nvidia cards.
>>
>>54556921

I'll give them another go I suppose. My impetus for switching was, shamefully enough, Steam and the famous libGL errors.

Getting it working with free drivers on gentoo was a pain, and performance was abysmal for certain driver versions. Maybe I'll have better luck this time.

I just wish Steam's linux client weren't such bloaty garbage
>>
>>54557038
Why would you use Steam on Gentoo?
>>
>>54556542
Read the wiki and/or make your own fontconfig
The example one is pretty good.
>>
>>54557078

Why not?
>>
>>54557295
Besides the general reasons why Steam is shit, their Linux client is pretty low quality.
>>
Nano has the cutest website.

http://www.nano-editor.org/
>>
>>54557363

I won't deny this, but the day I threw the Linux client on my machine was the last I booted into Windows.
And the truth is, unless somebody uses the Linux flavours of various games, they get discontinued (as happened to the EVE client back in the day). So I force myself into trying to use them.
Steam is sadly necessary since quite a few developers don't support their games outside of it.
>>
>>54557449
Developers who only support Steam deserve to die.
>>
What level of technical knowhow do package manager developers have?

I've recently taken an interest in the whole package management and dependency tracking concept and was wondering if I'd even have a chance at understanding them.

In particular I am interested in portage and understanding how it tracks dependencies and USE flags
>>
>>54557532
Not him, but the way I look at it is I'm just going to keep my mouth shut about everything until Linux has a big ol' fat foot in the door of desktop computing market share.
Then I'll start voicing my opinions on things like that. For now, steam is helping.
>>
>>54558147
No one is gonna switch to Linux just because of Steams Linux support (which isn't that great anyway)
>>
>>54558173
There's tons of people that always wanted to switch but never do because of gaming. So yes, I think it will get a fair amount of people to change.
There's still a lot of people holding out for a particular game, or waiting for the ratio of windows-only to linux-supported games in their library to reach some critical value.
>>
>>54558211
And they will keep not switching since Steam doesn't actually improve the situation much.
>>
>>54558250
You're crazy if you can't see that the opportunity now is bigger than ever. Steam lowers a lot of the barriers for developers to support Linux gaming.

Vavle is largely responsible for the significant improvement in Linux video drivers (amd especially) recently. Valve built an OpenGL debugger which was also a big complaint from developers in the past. They've also put out a lot of documentation and talks on porting games to Linux.
Then there's the usual problem of too many distros, now they only have to support SteamOS so they have something they can build and test against.

On top of all that too we have Vulkan that just got released, and developers have said it's so similar to DX12 there's almost no point in not supporting both.
Combine that with the fact that DX12 is only available in windows10 and the large number of gamers that keep putting off upgrading to windows 10 because they're horrified at what a piece of garbage it is, supporting Vulkan so they can still sell games to those people is also a factor. Not to mention it runs on pretty much every other platform too.

We're also getting more publicity now than usual thanks to steam so that'll also get us quite a few young computer geeks trying it out just from pure interest.

But who knows. Maybe it'll all fail. In 5 years maybe I'll just dual boot again to play my games if all of this is unsuccessful. But it's all such a toss up that if you're really feeling that confident that it's going to go nowhere, then I'm confident that you probably aren't really aware of everything going on.
>>
>>54558419
I'm talking about the current situation. There just aren't enough developers who do care about Linux releases currently, and the number of titles with Linux support on Steam are horribly inflated.

And if Vulkan will actually change things around in the future is yet to be seen, currently it's quite possible to serve the not-upgraders with DX11 instead of DX12, just like games continued to support DX9 for a long time.

In the end, it comes back to if the developers want to support other platforms or not.
>>
File: 1460232990126.jpg (80 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1460232990126.jpg
80 KB, 500x750
I'm a total noob.
I am on windows 7 and willing to give linux a try.
Ubuntu keeps failling to install so i'm trying to install OpenSUSE.
How do i create a bootable usb from an iso?
>>
>>54558661
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
>>
>>54558661
USBs are always better. If suuseh doesn't work, try xubuntu/kubuntu
>>
>>54558661
On windows, Rufus is easy and fail-safe.
>>
File: qt.jpg (62 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
62 KB, 640x640
>>54558724
Thanks
>>54558675
>>54558702
Will try it.
>>
>>54546212

That rock looks kind of dangerous.
>>
Is it possible to use python shell instead of bash?
>>
File: derp.png (39 KB, 608x296) Image search: [Google]
derp.png
39 KB, 608x296
Hello everyone
I have a problem - after a power cut, our Nas4Free box seems to be borked. Long story short I've connected a drive to my Ubuntu laptop but it refuses to mount with pic related. Gogling hasn't helped much. Any ideas? Thanks!
>>
What do you guys think about beets, the music manager?
Are there better alternatives?
Is it worth contributing to?
>>
>>54558925
Nevermind, the UFS module wasn't loading for some reason. Problem solved, I'm an idiot.
>>
>>54558772
>tfw you'll never have a qt shinobi gf
>>
Fedora 24 beta. Yea or nay?
>>
>>54559431
Don't.

Recommended update cycle for fedora goes like
>wait for official release
>wait for rpmfusion to finish updating their repositories
>update your OS.

I've been rolling the same Fedora install since F20 and everything went fine with this method
>>
>>54559474
okay thanks
>>
Toughts on OpenSUSE?
>>
>>54559537
yast2 is poop
>>
how do you pirate games on linux?
>>
>>54559584
I'm >>54558661 i only ever ( 6 months total lmao) used debian ubuntu 15 and mint.
All i really want is something that just werks for my work, and somehow easy to use because i'm not very good yet.
>>
>>54559592
THe same way you pirate games on windows?
>>
>>54559631
>>
>>54559631
i dont think torrents have linux games.

do they?
>>
>>54559667
then you're wrong
i've downloaded quite a few games from generic public trackers.
>>
>>54559677
ahhh thanks
>>
>>54559617
then pick whatever you like
ubanto/fedora/opensuse will work

it's just that yast2 is way worse than it should be. It's slow, buggy and massively unresponsive. But still extremely familiar to someone with windows background.
>>
>>54559667
>>>/t/GNU
>>
>>54559584
Holy shit you're right, 30 minutes in and it's already not workng.
>>
Anybody know why I get this error when installing shit through pacman, and knows how to fix it?
ldconfig: Cannot lstat /usr/lib/libelf-0.165.so: Structure needs cleaning
ldconfig: Cannot lstat /usr/lib/libdw-0.165.so: Structure needs cleaning
>>
>>54560055
dunno, you could try to clean the structure
>>
>>54560038
told ya.
I've tried opensuse once because I was very excited for leap (The premise of leap as in "stable and tested core with up to date user packages" sounds absolutely mint and I still wish Fedora Project/centos/redhat would make a similar thing).

Then I spent like an hour trying to get my network printer to work via yast despite the fact than on any other OS/distro I've used before it just fucking worked out of the box with default configuration/settings, pretty much plug and run.
>>
>>54560055
Apparently, your XFS filesystem is corrupted.
A quick google search seems to say
xfs_repair -v -L  /dev/sdXY
should fix it, but I don't know if that's supposed to be done online or offline.
>>
>>54560109
That's really fucking sad.
Debian based distros are somehow not working on my laptop.
What other alternatives do i have?
Keep in mind i'm garbage at using linux.
>>
If I was to build a computer, which parts would provide the best performance from Free® drivers in GNU&Linux?
>>
>>54560127
But anon, that's where the fun starts.
It's on my raspberry pi, and all connected fs are either vfat or ext4. I found the same online as you, but it does not make any sense to me.

I re-updated libelf to the newest version, but I can't even remove the old files because of the same error
>>
>>54546351
The wiki doesn't seem too ambiguous. If you don't know something then just Google it. Never just copy and paste commands without understanding them. That's one of the worst mistakes people can make. The Arch rootshell install is pretty easy. Last I checked it was only like ten or so commands.
>>
>>54560181
https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-d16/
2x opteron 6276 (iirc)

and a recent AMD GPU since they're the only GPUs that offer some kind of performance from free and open source drivers (openradeon/gallium)

And yes anon, nobody said freedom was free.
But for the price you got fully deblobbed machine.
>>
>>54547123
Are you using it right? it's just
fdisk -l
fdisk /dev/sda

* or whatever device you're installing on.
>>
So, i'm having trouble compiling Android on Void Linux. Yes i know i could use a supported system, but i don't want to have two distros, where one is only for the purpose of compiling Android (again).
I know some hacks/workarounds to make it work on Arch, which is rolling release too, but i can't seem to get around this error despite my efforts.
http://pastebin.com/vBTcPkn1

As there isn't a single guide out there, i don't know if i may be missing a particular package, but i installed everything remotely close named to ubuntu's and arch's needed packages. I'm using openjdk8 with
export EXPERIMENTAL_USE_JAVA8=true

The source where the error pops up is straigh from google, and AOSP supports JDK8 now as far as i know.
>>
>>54560181
>Free® drivers in GNU&Linux?
well, it's kinda complicated. Intel iGPUs have the best free drivers but need microcode to run to their full extent, same goes for AMD, https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Amdgpu any of those should be okay but they also need firmware-amd-graphics to be installed.
nividias free drivers are okay on old cards but it won't benefit you in games. the proprietary drivers are okay.
>>
Why arent empty fields being displayed in KDE (OpenSUSE) ?
>>
>>54560413
empty fields?
>>
File: lu.png (117 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lu.png
117 KB, 1920x1080
>>54560438
I cant launch a new project in Eclipse because i dont know where to click, and the menu toolbar is really fucking ugly.
>>
>>54560513
Is that a gtk program?
>>
Hye /g/, i will be objective.
I came from Windowns plataform, used to the ol' Movie Maker, who did get the job done easily. Im a enthusiast at Linux, but i really need a simple/complete video editing software, kinda like the Movie Maker.
I got the Pitivi and Flowblade, but in neither i found a Title/Credits options, while the editing itself is really good.
If i could make the Title/Credits outside, i wouldn't care, but i really need those in my video.
Tips? Suggestions?
>>
>>54560537
I dont have any clue i'm a total beginner, i only used debian for like 4 months before destroying it.
And now with my new laptop i cant use any debian based distro because i dont know why.
>>
>>54560537
that is eclipse and yes it is a GTK programm
>>54560556
try the gtk 2 version
eclipse --launcher.GTK_version 2
>>
>>54560583
holy shit thanks, now i just need to create a shortcut because i have installed eclipsein the download folder...lol
>>
>>54560542
Blender is the best, KDEnlive is okay.
>>
>>54560583
Is there a way for my whole GUI to look like that?
I never know when i can modify a field.
>>
>>54560700
Looks like the gtk theme is not compatible with the version of gtk 3 you have.
>>
File: 1460388417649.gif (1 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1460388417649.gif
1 MB, 960x540
I imagine a few of you run Windows on virtual machines from time to time for various reasons

To those of you: could you advice me on where to get a clean pirated copy of it?

Not sure if the Win 7 copies you can find in the pirate bay or kickasstorrents are blatantly backdoored (apart from the NSA kek) or malware-infected copies of Windows 7

I ask because I plan to try out the GPU passthrough thing on Debian, but I'll obviously need a Win7 ISO for this
>>
>>54560882
This is a /fglt/
Not a /fwt/
>>
>>54560898
it's linux related, I'm going to do a GPU passthrough on a virtual machine hosted by linux after all
>>
>>54560882
just download it from microsoft. you can use it for 30 days anyway and since it's a VM you can just load snapshots.
>>
I just installed gentoo with the kde plasma tarball and i now realized that x is not installed. Im emerging xorg drivers, but what is the deal with kde? It seems to be at least somewhat installed, but Im new to gentoo so Im not really sure. What do I do from here?
>>
>>54560963
You didn't really ask a coherent question
>what is the deal with kde?
It's the same as anything else, you emerge it.
>It seems to be at least somewhat installed, but Im new to gentoo so Im not really sure.
If you are not sure if it is installed then check. I recommend using eix. As far as I remember kde should have a meta package to make it easier and there should be a profile to choose to make it easier with use flags.
>Im not really sure. What do I do from here?
You check documentation on things you are not sure about. There is no reason to be not sure about anything.
>>
while using calibre and trying to convert a book from epub to mobi i get error. I supose this is because calibre doesn't have permisions to write. How do i give them to it? If i start calibre with
sudo calibre
calibre starts instalation in root, but i don't want what, i want it to stay in my /home/user. How do i start calibre as sudo, so what it stays within /home/archuser working space?
>>
>>54546212
the rock fell on him?
why is he so fat when he goes out trekking?
>>
>>54561264
he doesn't
>>
>>54560288
checked it and marshmallow officially is still on openjdk7, only master already on openjdk8.
As openjdk7 is not available on void, i've downloaded an unofficial precompiled one, put it in /usr/lib/jvm and changeh the existing openjdk symlink to point to 1.7.0.

Let's see if the error will occour again, or if i can build now.
>>
>>54561238

> i get error. I supose this is

How about you actually read the error message or post it here.
>>
>>54560700
you are using KDE so most of your other programms use QT. Read this if u want a Uniform look across al programms
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uniform_look_for_Qt_and_GTK_applications
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Trying to lose my Linux virginity,
Why? How fix?
>>
>>54561467
look up windowcleaner, should fix this mess.
>>
>>54561467
Is it that hard to rotate your pictures before sending? We're on /g/ you should know to use technology.
>>
>>54561497
Don't diss my jizz
>>
>>54561513
Ye sorry bout that, I never use my phone for anything but calls and texts.
>>
>>54561448
http://pastebin.com/aCXBdqAR
>>
>>54561467
is your partition ext2 or do you have the free nividia drivers installed?
>>
>>54561457

That's not his problem. As someone already mentioned, the Breeze-GTK theme doesn't support GTK 3.20 yet.
>>
I've got a question about open source documentation.
If I want to learn how a database management system (in my case firebird) implements some concept, union for example, do I need to look at the document package I can patch with apt-get, do I google about for documentation or do I just get source code and start digging?
Yes, it's for a university assignment.
>>
>>54561238
Do not run calibre with sudo, that is most certainly not the solution.
>>
>>54561548

I don't see any errors there.

>MOBI output written to /tmp/calibre_2.56.0_tmp_s72w1w/GBCB6Y.mobi
>>
File: 1449599178008.png (43 KB, 795x426) Image search: [Google]
1449599178008.png
43 KB, 795x426
>>54561640
i thought he now wanted all of his other applications too look like the gtk2 version of eclipse
>>
>>54561467
let me guess;
- you're set to graphical.target
- but nothing graphical is set to start (or failed to start)

try;
press ctrl+alt+f2
if you get a login prompt, log in, and either set up a DM if you want one (if one is setup, run X manually to see what it does), or set your system to non-graphical with "systemctl set-default multi-user.target"
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.