[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys do to cope with RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 12
What do you guys do to cope with RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury)? I don't want to end like Stallman, who had to stop coding because of RSI.
>>
>>54542550
by not being some limp wristed faggot
>>
Get a better keyboard, one that doesn't require harder presses.
>>
I pick up mother fucking weights.
>>
A quality keyboard helps a LOT. I can tell a huge difference between using my Thinkpad T430 and using the shitty uni-provided HP netbook.

Anti-inflammatories can help but mind your stomach.

Hot/cold water soaking. Hot water gets blood to the region to help it heal (feels good too), then use cold to minimize swelling.

Stretching exercises help a LOT.
>>
>>54542563
This
>>
>>54542550
By using a wrist rest so i don't get RSI in the first place.
>>
File: ergo.jpg (715 KB, 1613x907) Image search: [Google]
ergo.jpg
715 KB, 1613x907
>>54542550

this is what I use.

source: me
>>
>>54542563
Picking up weights could literally trigger RSI. Just do >>54542576 and don't go on 10 hour coding marathons.
>>
>>54542563
>Tfw lifting weights over my entire life and using a keyboard resulted in my carpal tunnel syndrome

Please, more 20 somethings with bodies made of rubber and magic come and talk about RSIs
>>
>>54542576
This. Stallman used to have terrible pains while typing and it mostly went away when he changed keyboard.
>>
>>54542550
By not using Emacs
>>
>>54542550
alternate which hand I jerk off with
>>
>>54542558
I think the main problem for me is the mouse. I have tried two different mouses, one is supposedly "ergonomic" and got the same result. Maybe I just have shitty posture? I've also used one of these tiling WM in Linux that can be entirely keyboard-oriented when I was NEET and it helped, but now my job is .NET-based so I have to use Windows.

>>54542576
>>54542606
Thanks m8s.
>>
Use touchscreens
>>
File: They never learn.png (158 KB, 797x406) Image search: [Google]
They never learn.png
158 KB, 797x406
>>54542550
Cool pic, mind if I save it?
>>
>>54542643
change your mouse to a different grip style
WMO wreck my hand but a claw or fingergrip mouse I can use all day
>>
>>54542655
I get sore fingertips from excessive touchscreen use. (Have had carpal tunnel too though it's better than it used to be, and my fingers get stiff from vibration--like lawnmower or hair clipper--and on waking or typing on a shit keyboard.) Keyboard+mouse is better than touchscreen.
>>
>>54542679
This, personally I find a rollerball mouse to be absolutely amazing compared to normal ones. Even laptop touch pads are better than all the wrist movement needed to zoom a standard mouse around a desk.
>>
I think it can be a mixture of both keyboards and mice. I swapped my old deathadder for a sensei and I seem to have more pains in my wrist.
>>
>>54542550
Stallman stopped coding because he realised what a baddie he was m8. The hacker community literally enhanced his trash code.
>>
>>54542563
This seriously and eat a good diet and just get in shape overall. I was having wrist pain and then I started eating healthy and working out and sleeping right and "magically" my wrist pain disappeared even though I did nothing to alter my typing, no gay wrist guards, no meme keyboards split in the middle or angled weird. Just querty.

Tl;dr - stop being a fat unhealthy fuck and your wrist pain will be cured.
>>
>>54542696
why would your wrist even move when using the mouse? It rests on the desk - just move it around with fingers
>>
>>54544674
I fucked my wrist training in muay thai. not everyone has his joints bad because they spend their lives on wow.
talking about ergonomy. would you suggest some kind of keyboard/mouse in particular? I spend a lot of time in front of a pc and I have to improve this because it hurts.
I was thinking on gettin a trackball. I don't usually play games.
>>
>>54542550
Get a trackball and a wrist wrest. Don't use the feet on your keyboard.
>>
>>54545637
what kind of trackball? I've been looking a little, some trackballs seems to use almost the whole hand, and others just the thumb
I'll search for examples and post them
>>
>>54542550
A decent mouse.

There is a reason people mainly got RSI in the late 90's.
>>
File: Logitech M570.jpg (20 KB, 464x500) Image search: [Google]
Logitech M570.jpg
20 KB, 464x500
>>54545740

this one depends on the thumb movement
>>
File: kensington orbit trackball.jpg (7 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
kensington orbit trackball.jpg
7 KB, 300x300
>>54545740

this one seems to need the whole hand or ar least some fingers, not just the thumb.
>>
>>54542550

Stop using emacs.
>>
Eating a healthy diet that reduces inflammation.
Good posture while sitting at a desk.
Not sitting for long periods of time.
Mechanical keyboard or ergonomical one.
Trackball mouse.
Working out all muscle groups equally.
Stretching,
>>
Repetitive Fapping Injury.
Blames coding.
Never fails.
>>
Use those anime-boob cushions
>>
File: 1457902800697.png (482 KB, 656x523) Image search: [Google]
1457902800697.png
482 KB, 656x523
Since when did /g/ become a bunch of faggots?
>>
>>54542606
Is this MS mouse comfy for prolonged usage?
>>
RSI is ONLY going to happen if youre wrists are twisted in an unnatural position. This usually happens when people put their keyboard on top of their desk. If you get an ergonomic keyboard and use a keyboard tray on your desk your RSI WILL GO AWAY

ignore all these idiots who say weight lifting will cure RSI, they dont know what theyre talking about, weight lifting never has cured RSI
>>
>>54546028
I lift for a while some years ago. this is right. lifting puts a lot of stress on your wrists. you'll fuck them even more.
>>
>>54542550
By using a keyboard based workflow and not switching from eyboard to mouse will eliminate alot of RSI factors.

Maintain good tpying posture and don't sit for too long.
>>
>>54542550
I should get oppai or some cushion for my right hand. The wrist is killing me and it's very recent.
>>
Microsoft natural 4000. I have an autoimmune arthritic condition and this is the only keyboard that doesn't destroy me.
>>
Holy shit, bunch of fucking babies. Stop being a weak body.
>>
>>54542550
correct posture
correct seat height
correct arm angles
arm rests level with desk/keyboard/mouse
wristpad if your keyboard is notably raised
don't overdo videogames or typing on lack of sleep

Haven't had arm/wrist/hand pain since 2012 or so
>>
>>54546131
if youre having RSI from a mouse, the easiest way to get rid of it is to use a trackpad for a Mac, thats if youre willing to switch to a Mac. Second best option is to set up a laptop to tap on the touchpad instead of clicking a mechanical touchpad button
>>
File: B00009KH6351F4xfoxB0L.jpg (63 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
B00009KH6351F4xfoxB0L.jpg
63 KB, 500x335
>>54545740
Kensington expert, mad comfy
>>
>>54545819

Avoid the logitechs, they break down in 3 months. Get an Elecom or kenigston.
>>
>>54546223
>trackpad
>touchpad

what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
Soak in hot water and stretch.
NSAID
Rest.
>>
>>54546286
thanks for advice.

>>54546254
Nice! I'll look at
>157€
holyshit.jpg
>>
>>54542643
Try a Magic Trackpad, I've seen quite a few people saying it helps
>>
>>54546254
why on earth they're so fucking expensive daamn.
i could really use a proper trackball since I don't have any applications which benefit from a regular mouse but the pricetags on those things...
>>
>>54546332
Must be terrible to live in bongistan, they're like 60USD normal and 40USD on sale here
>>
>>54546353
this
>>54546362
60 USD are like 53€
I don't know why, but for spain, the trackball you posted is three times that!
(yeah, it's hard, this place fuckin sucks)
>>
>>54546332
>>54546353

>supply and demand

You gotta shop around. eBay is your friend when it comes to stuff like this. No doubt you'll find some autist who got trolled into getting one selling it on the cheap off email.
>>
>>54542606
Are you using it to avoid RSI or you already have it?
>>
File: OKmGSYS4qHZ1h1NL.medium.jpg (39 KB, 592x444) Image search: [Google]
OKmGSYS4qHZ1h1NL.medium.jpg
39 KB, 592x444
>>54546288
>>trackpad
>>touchpad
>what the fuck is wrong with you?
Apple calls their standalone touchpad for the iMac a trackpad
>>
>>54542550

Just play StepMania until you are past the point of no return :^)
>>
>>54546028
I can't stand trays. If I extend it, I'm too far away from the monitors and can't reach the top of the desk to use anything on it; if I try to use it while it's retracted, my hands of course just bump and scrape the top of the desk.

Instead I use a low-ish table, set my chair high, keep my KB+M on top and angle my monitors upwards to keep the viewing angle at 90˚. Seems to be okay so far.
>>
>>54542550
Stallman stopped coding because he's a little bitch.
Don't do that.
>>
>>54542558
What the fuck do you mean like chicklet?

/g/ always says the hard and long press is somehow always more ergonomic and good.
>>
>>54544674
>tfw you can't easily start eating healthy and exercise
>>
>>54547499
>like chicklet
You're a moron
>>
>>54547526
What the fuck could you be referring to then?
>>
>>54542550
28 y.o., but I've been coding and playing guitar daily since ~16 for 8 hours a day average. I don't know that I just got lucky genetically, but since I started exercising in my early 20s my wrists have been rock solid. otoh, if you have a genetic predisposition to arthritis or something you may be fucked no matter what.
>>
Why do some pirated software require you to add to the hosts file?
Namely, adobe, sony vegas
>>
>>54547532
Chiclet has nothing to do with actuation force, which is what he was talking about.
>>
>>54547573
To null route traffic that would normally reach software activation servers to localhost.
>>
I don't have this issue.
>>
heard that using a wrist rest for keyboard and a mouse pad with wrist support is actually bad for you? Was going to pull the gun for those 2 items
>>
Guess what I think causes most of you guys' wrist problems? It's sitting too low - you have to lift your arms up and bend your wrists downwards. That's a really shitty position to keep your wrists locked at for hours a day.

Every time my wrists start hurting I notice it's because of this, and when I correct it, the pain goes away
>>
>>54549069
No, they work as intended.

I suffer from carpal tunnel and work 'treats' me with wrist support, get a gel based support especially for your mousepad.

100% you need to straighten your back and sit properly, neck needs to be straight, have your eye level meet the middle of your screen.

It all matters apparently, medical dept. at work did a full process for me to help my hand (work in Comp Security) so they went all out to save me.
>>
I have a comfy tmux/vim setup for programming, thus practically eliminating all mouse interaction. This and good posture make an enormous difference.
>>
>>54542563
And get running!

RUN EVERYWHERE

>>54542550
Do it with a ruck, you bitch
>>
File: VM4R-hi.jpg (243 KB, 1200x965) Image search: [Google]
VM4R-hi.jpg
243 KB, 1200x965
Anyone tried a vertical mouse?
>>
Try this
>>
I do a series of 6 wrist stretches every day, and a couple exercises commonly used for improving grip strength in climbing. The minor RSI i had before has disappeared.
>>
>>54546428
>Are you using it to avoid RSI or you already have it?

already have it.

I needed a practical solution, but I didn't want an expensive granny solution (like mouse balls).

It's helping a lot so far. I can't even touch normal mouses anymore.
>>
>>54547517
Well thats to bad.
This world needs loosers, fatfags , poorfags , and betas, to remind us winners how great our lives are.

If u don't like it, kys.
>>
>>54547517
>tfw you can't easily start eating healthy
The easiest way to start eating "healthy" is to not buy the crap in the first place.

Literally just don't buy snacks, and you're solid. It's effort to go down those aisles, anyway. Just be lazy and not buy them.
>>
>>54542606
trim your damn fingernails achmed
>>
>>54551859

I have a Wowpen which is kinda like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPAVUHC/

Love it. My right hand RSI stopped within a week.
>>
Don't use Emacs. I'm fairly positive that regular use of an editor requiring heavy use of keys like escape/meta/alt/ctrl/shift may have exacerbated Stallman's condition.
>>
>>54542726
>what is libre software
>>
>>54542675
Thanks Lori!
save it its all yours!
>>
>>54542550
I exercise and make sure that the most difficult thing I do in a day isn't pressing anothe key on my keyboard. RSI isn't injury, it's weakness from extended sloth.
>>
>>54555958
>bike for two hours while watching anime 4-5 times a week
>spend the rest of the day slothing it up on the bed or on the desk
I should buy some weights.
>>
Don't use vim or emacs, use emacs with a more ergonomic keyboard layout. Caps is ctrl or esc (works as meta), meta is below z, not at the far corner. Period.
Don't use a trackpad
Don't use a laptop
>>
>>54551981
dont do this it creates mustard gas
>>
>>54542550
My doctor claims RSI is bullshit, it's a condition invented to try to claim workers compensation against insurance companies. The fact that no insurance company will recognise it means it's absolute shit.

What is real are medical conditions like carpal tunnel or ganglions. I've had wrist surgery to correct mine, I'm still recovering from it even after a year.

Pro tips:
- Use a mouse as little as possible. Switch to vim and other keyboard-based things, learn to use the Gmail and Firefox keyboard shortcuts, make keybindings for all common things you do.
- Don't use a laptop. The shitty small keyboards and touchpads will ruin you.
- Avoid smartphone as much as possible. The wrist action of swiping and moving your digits over the screen makes things much worse.
- Don't extend the feet on your keyboard, they should be flat.
- Proper ergonomic setup. Chair at height where your feet are flat on the floor, hold your wrists out so your arm is at 90 degrees, that's where the desktop should be. Top of monitor at eye height or just above.
- Go to a doctor and get a referral to get any problems properly assessed. You may get referred to an occupational hand therapist and most of them are total QTs, or you may get referred to a hand surgeon.
- If you get given exercises to do, then do them. Prevention without surgery is far far far better than surgery.
>>
I work a lot in computer writing, but my injury was not for repetitive movement, was for the way I put my Hands when I sleep, if you keep bend your hand that is enough for damage the internal nerve, how I find out, because its presented just two times with several year in between, and solved it controlling the position I slept.
>>
>>54556715
This. Don't do your work on a laptop, do it on a full desktop machine with proper ergonomics.
>>
>>54542679
I need one of those finger mice do you guys know any good ones or should I just use a trackball
>>
File: 1353004556946.jpg (160 KB, 456x628) Image search: [Google]
1353004556946.jpg
160 KB, 456x628
>recently got mx master when I could have got a trackball, wreaking havoc on my wrists
>>
>>54552101
Buy a powerball, that shit will do you wonders. Do any exercise, jogging, pushups, whatever.
>>
>>54552101
>>54556947
Adding to that, I couldn't touch normal mouses let alone cutlery. My problem was in my forearm which in turn made my hand fuck up. Dealing with my forearm now.
>>
>>54546223
>youre having RSI from a mouse, the easiest way to get rid of it is to use a trackpad for a Mac
Those things give me wrist pain after 30 minutes of use.
>>
>tfw SEA manlet (5'3")
>use crappy $100 computer desk from Costco
>thing's made for 6'+ people
>I have to have my chair at full extension, sit on a textbook and ghetto rig a footrest out of an Amiami box to get an ergonomic setup
>>
>>54557268
put a table to the side of your chair and rest your arm on it while you use the trackpad. Im assuming you are reaching forward to use a trackpad on a desk which is as bad as using your keyboard on top of a desk
>>
>>54557360
>>tfw SEA manlet (5'3")
fake meme post
>>
25 years of computing. No RSI. Sucks to have bad genes.
>>
>>54557400
Try being tall when your ancestors evolved to take advantage of malnutrition.
>>
>>54542550
Use low sensitivity settings, have some desk space to support your forearm
>>
I switched to Programmer Dvorak. Only took maybe 100 hours for my typing to get back up to speed, well worth it.
>>
>>54542550
make sure everything's in a comfortable position and take it slowly
>>
>>54542550
Well i do stretches every now and again.

Did stallman actually have to stop because or rsi?

What triggers rsi and makes it permanent?
>>
>>54560183
>What triggers rsi and makes it permanent?
emacs
>>
>>54560192

is this some kind of new /g/ meme?
>>
wear a wrist brace when you sleep

>>54542576
good post

>>54557268
that's caused by hoverhand. You need a place to rest your fingers when you're not touching the trackpad, like on a laptop when you place your fingers on the space below the keyboard or lightly on the spacebar. For a trackpad that small you literally have to block off most of the mouse with something non-conductive like cardboard and just use a corner of it. The thick back of a paper notepad or the cover of a composition notebook work. I've tried using one and stopped because the drivers are godawful on Windows.
>>
>>54560272
>new
not really, emacs causing RSI and carpal tunnel syndrome is actually fairly ancient meme at this point, we're talking like 20-30 years old.
>>
>>54542563
>>54555958
>RSI isn't injury, it's weakness from extended sloth.
except that's wrong as fuck. RSI is from overuse, often excess pressure on the nerve. Exercise may help it in the first place, it's NOT going to fix it if you already have it, it'll fuck it up more. I've had RSI while I biked to work, and everywhere else, and lifted boxes at work. The exercise does nothing. Only less heavy computer usage will help, less of whatever caused it in the first place.
>>
>>54560328
>lifted boxes at work.

there is your problem.
with RSI and carpal tunnel, the best you can do is stretch, soft exercise, don't lift weights
>>
>>54560183
>What triggers rsi
Excess finger usage, contorted fingers, bent wrists while doing that usage, pressure on the wrists. There may be a genetic aspect as well. It can be found in people who play games way too much (speed runners, streamers), typists and programmers, competition shooters.
>and makes it permanent?
It'll heal but most people don't completely stop finger usage to let it heal.
>>
>>54560372
yes I know but that was my job, I couldn't do shit about it. I was pointing out that lifting won't help
>>
>>54560287
>For a trackpad that small you literally have to block off most of the mouse
I fucked this sentence up
For a trackpad that large you have to block off mouse of the touch surface.
>>
>>54560386
I understand that. we both can agree lifting is shit for your wrists, but some kind of soft sport and stretching would help.
>>
>>54560415
tru
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.