[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought an ipad air 2, thought it would be cool to try an apple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
I bought an ipad air 2, thought it would be cool to try an apple product for variety's sake, it had also happened to me a few times that whenever I googled for a very specific app, it was only for the apple store

now I can't find a fucking use for this, is this good for anything?
>>
>>54538202
>I bought this thing I have no use for
-g- consumerism
>>
File: 1460493686872.png (860 KB, 841x720) Image search: [Google]
1460493686872.png
860 KB, 841x720
>>54538202
>apple product
>is this good for anything?
>>
>>54538202
When you get to that screen size, you would expect it to function as a portable pc, not a smart phone without the phone.

Hell, even android phones are more functional.

Enjoy your overpriced e-book reader and video player
>>
Is good for being comfy.

I use my to browse the web when Im relaxing in bed or watching tv in the living room. I also bring to class to read pdfs when I dont feel like carrying my notebook.
>>
Can be used as a mirror I guess. But that's as far as you can get with apple products
>>
>>54538202
Fallout shelter
Sudoku
Netflix
Amazon
Xbox glass
Love
>>
>>54538202

Don't listen to these retards. It's good for all kinds of things.

- It's the best comic reader you can have, aside from the larger iPad Pro. Get over to 32Pages and go nuts. I recommend Chunky as a reader.

- Duet Display. You can plug that iPad into your Windows or Mac computer and use it as a second monitor. Portable dual monitor.

- Microsoft. Remote. Desktop. You can use that iPad to remotely control your Windows box (or boxes!). It works a lot better than you'd think.

- For that matter, Microsoft Office. It's a pretty good facsimile of the desktop Office suite. It's not quite there, but it's very respectable for something as tiny and light as the iPad.

- It's a great exercise companion. Want to watch Rick and Morty on Plex while you run on the treadmill? Prop it up on the control panel and have fun!

- This mainly applies to the iPad Pro models, but Procreate. It's a drawing app, and it's fucking legit with the Apple Pencil.

The rest is down to opinion and preference, but, in my opinion, the iPad makes an awesome couch companion. It's hard to overstate how pleasant it is to have a computer you don't have to set down on a solid surface to use. For instance, I pace a lot, and a tablet suits me really well in those situations.

I'm living proof that not only can you find a use for the iPad, but you can make it a central part of your arsenal, often taking precedence over your laptop. You just have to be willing to shift your mindset and relearn some things, because it's different.
>>
>>54538930
thanks anon, I'm just a bit disappointed that it didn't instantly fill the void in my soul
I sure need to get used to it, it's not only my first apple product but my first tablet as well
>>
>>54538930
Fuck off iPajeet
>>
Just sell it, OP. If you really cannot find anything fun to do with it yourself then there is really no hope for you. Find a better hobby.
>>
>>54539061

No sweat, man.

While the iPad is awesome, it's vital to embrace the fact that it, in fact, does not do everything a desktop does. It needs backup. For starters, you'll need a desktop to run torrents, and you'll want to run a Web UI to access through Safari. You probably want Windows 7 (easy to pirate and lightweight) and uTorrent 2.2.1 (actually made *for* Windows, unlike almost every other good client).

You'll also want cloud storage. Lots of it. I'd recommend Google Drive. $2/month for 100GB, $10/month for 1TB. It's stable, it's reliable, it's comprehensive, it's not stagnant like Dropbox is. I just ran through all this on my own, and Google Drive came out on top. You'll want the aforementioned "backup" computer to handle the syncing for that too, because you'll want at least one local copy. Stuff can go straight from your torrent directory to your cloud sync directory, and you can use Remote Desktop on the iPad to facilitate that whenever necessary.

You might also want to consider a third-party utility for managing that cloud storage on your "backup box". I recommend Insync in conjunction with Google Drive.

Your "backup box" needs to be able to handle both those tasks at minimum, which is to say, it doesn't need to be particularly beefy at all. You can use a nettop, or a NUC, or an HP Pavilion Mini, or a Gigabyte Brix, or a mini-ITX case like the Fractal Node 304, or whatever you got lying around. The only thing that will really raise the recommended requirements of your build is if you want to use Plex. You want a little extra kick for that.
>>
>>54539204

Also, consider complementing the iPad with some quality accessories. People look at the iPad like it's static and unchanging because you can't yank out the RAM or whatever, but that's an antiquated way of evaluating flexibility. The iPad, and tablets like it, are flexible in that it, in and of itself, is a base computing unit, and whatever else you need comes along when and if you need it.

If you want more sound, plunk down a Bluetooth speaker. Consider the UE Roll. It's loud, it's portable, it's cheap ($50!), it lasts 7-9 hours on a charge.

If you want a keyboard, throw down one of those and use it like a laptop. I recommend Microsoft's folding keyboard. Its key layout is a little weird due to its aforementioned foldable nature, but otherwise, it's very similar to the Surface's keyboard. One of the big reasons to choose it is because it's really thin, and because, when folded, it fits within the footprint of the iPad itself, which makes it easy to transport alongside the tablet.

If you want more battery life, you can't swap out the battery, but you *can* pick up a USB battery pack. These can be as big as you want, you can carry as many of them as you like, and they can be used to charge anything -- your tablet, your phone, your speaker, your keyboard, anything. Beats the hell out of swappable batteries in practice. Just make sure to keep one Lightning cable and one micro-USB cable.

Incidentally, I keep all of this in an STM Scout 2 tablet bag. It's the perfect size for all of the above.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.