[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So there are these experimental e-ink timetables at bus stops
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: eink-2.jpg (295 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
eink-2.jpg
295 KB, 1600x1067
So there are these experimental e-ink timetables at bus stops in Vienna. Screen size is ISO A4 standard (for Ameritards: approximately letter size). They say it's much cheaper in the long run to use these instead of printing out the timetables when they have to change something.

So apparently e-ink displays are pretty cheap actually. Why aren't there any cheap A4 sized e-readers then? I know about the $2,000 Sony shit, but c'mon.
>>
>>54533658
I don't give a shit about bus timetables, the point is that apparently this the Wiener Linien (the company that control public transit in Vienna) thinks it's cheaper to use e-ink than regular paper. It has to be dirt fucking cheap to them, which means the technology is pretty fucking cheap. So why aren't there any non-meme sized e-readers? I don't get it.
>>
>>54533658
Its almost like people in Vienna are more civilized than your suburbs. I wonder why? Maybe education has something to do with it?
>>
>>54533720
I'm sure Ahmed promises not to take it
>>
Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of shit with down syndrome.
>>
Of course is not cheaper than paper. They are probably stealing public money!
>>
>>54533658
>living near niggers
>>
>>54533720
Or maybe Viennase (is that a word?) people are not hillbilly rednecks, but actually well educated muslims and africans?
>>
>>54533795
you're dumb
>>
File: 1462593399689.jpg (52 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1462593399689.jpg
52 KB, 512x384
>>54533795
>the only cost of distribution is the paper
>>
>>54533694
It's probably just very expensive to hire people to update the time tables by hand.

But I still seriously doubt it's cheaper.
Probably just a politician justifying his tech purchase.
>>
>>54533769
>Viennase
Wiener
>>
>>54533604
they don't have to be cheap, just cheapER than paying someone to swap out the pages
>>
I've seen some stores change the price tags on the shelves to eink, that makes a hell lot more sense than bus schedules which are changed at most once a year
>>
>>54533843
>But I still seriously doubt it's cheaper.
How so? If the thing is actually hooked up to the a network, you can change all of them in the blink of an eye. Labour cost in Austria is comparatively expensive, such a device might be < EUR 1k. Without actually running the numbers, I'm not surprised at all that over the lifetime of such a device, they are cheaper than glueing new timetable sheets on every station.

Also, it's fucking Vienna. Their public transport is top notch, and I wouldn't even mind a bit of extra cost if that is what it takes to keep it that way. Sometime's its the small things.
>>
>>54533978
Well, if you wanna get robbed, it's your call
>>
>>54533978
Because like the poster above you pointed out you only have to switch them once a year or so.

I doubt these will last more than 10 years, so at $1k that would be $100 per update.
>>
>>54534029
Robbed by who? European Muslims don't attack or rob anybody. They're very friendly.
>>
>>54534029
I've never been mugged in my 25 years living in Vienna. If I moved back there, I doubt I'd be at greater risk thanks to e-Ink bus schedules.
>>
>>54534047
The government dude, they are stealing from you and brainwashing the people
>>
>>54534035
>$100 per update
Doesn't sound too outrageous - you'd easily hit that number with labour cost.
>>
>>54534047
>European muslims don't attack or rob anybody
Generalising isn't healthy, there are a lot of shitty muslims, and a lot of good muslims, just as there are a lot of good people and shitty people. Religion doesn't really matter, if someone's a shitty person they'll still mug people and rape children, no matter their religion/nationality.
>>
>>54534140
>you'd easily hit that number with labour cost.
No you won't, not even in Vienna.
>>
>>54533604
Steal one
>>
Another possibility is that they can now hang advertisements where the paper time table and area map used to go.

Such advertising space is very valuable.
>>
>>54533837
>Meteoric rise to power by taking advantage of the fears of the masses
>Is an asshole
Not 100% Hitler but the similarities are there
>>
>>54533769
>well educated muslims and africans?
Um, if they were educated then they wouldn't be Muslims.
>>
gonna crack one if i ever see it.
>>
>>54534324
>>>/r/atheism
>>
So they can connect by usb or Bluetooth/an rf frequency, depending whom requests it. No more prints of paper just a nice uodate 1 charge can last up 2 months espically if it isnt updating a shit ton, hell even longer.
>>
>>54533604
>So apparently e-ink displays are pretty cheap actually. Why aren't there any cheap A4 sized e-readers then?
good question. If they were actually cheap then you would see a large market of A4 sized gookshit. But you don't so I have my doubts that they are cheap. They are cheap for a large transportation company and enterprise.
>>
>>54534617
if they were smart, they would;
- charge via solar, such a time table would need very little power
- update via short-range wireless like bluetooth, from buses that stop there (cheaper than using a cell network)
>>
>>54533604
thats dumb what if somebody shakes it?
>>
>>54533604
it would be nice to live in a city that could try things like this without having to worry about niggers ruining it. i live in the seattle area and about 90% of stops are missing the timetables because people take them, and they're just regular fucking pieces of paper here
>>
>timetables for buses in 2016
Just make an API for the bus tracking service and let the free market do the rest
Why bother with maintaining physical capital?
>>
>>54536691
It may be because Vienna is a very touristic city and tourists usually dont use mobile roaming internet and public wifi isnt avaliable on every bus station.
There is an API already. One does not replace other. You should be able to check bus times withouth having a smartphone.
>>
>>54536781
>It may be because Vienna is a very touristic city and tourists usually dont use mobile roaming internet and public wifi isnt avaliable on every bus station.
That makes sense but bus times are prone to a large variance so even the eink timetables would have to have a network infrastructure. I don't see static time tables working for buses even in a relatively small city like Vienna.
> One does not replace other. You should be able to check bus times withouth having a smartphone.
Ideally. I'm envious of public transportation in EU/Asia.
>>
File: sensiblechuckle.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensiblechuckle.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
>>54536415
>>
>>54537102
In my city the bus company has a free phone number to which you send a free SMS with the bus stop code (which is written at the stop) and it'll reply with the ETAs of the next 4 or 5 busses.
>>
>>54533604
it must be nice to live in a place where such thing don't get vandalized or nicked immediately.

i bet it isn't cheaper, though. some dude is making bank.
>>
>>54536344
>>>54534617
>if they were smart, they would;
>- charge via solar, such a time table would need very little power
>- update via short-range wireless like bluetooth, from buses that stop there (cheaper than using a cell network)
Yes I agree but its how the consumer apply its usage. those devices are ready to do what we said. Hard wire is safe always power and data with one cable line. But solar would be nice with the encryption. All in all its the consumer's call. Eink is ready
>>
>>54537265
yeah same here
In the rich areas they even have electronic arrival time displays

They have an API to access arrival data and I use a mobile application more often because the large arrival time displays have ads on them a good 80% of the time

Kinda out of luck if you have no phone for the most part
>>
>>54537311
>i bet it isn't cheaper, though.
Sure it is. The one time cost of eink is large but it makes up for it because paper has costly maintenance requirements that require dedicated workers etc
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.