[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Custom ROM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1290291148185.jpg (63 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1290291148185.jpg
63 KB, 300x300
/g/, should I install a custom ROM?

Is it really anymore risky in terms of my data being on a fast train to India compared to installing any other application you give root access to?

What if the developer is well respected (and not even Indian)? (Wanam)
>>
Do you have a need for one? Do you want to do something your current ROM won't let you?

Don't fall for the meme if you don't have to.
>>
>>54530231
I'm already rooted with xposed

A custom ROM would allow me to Wifi call (currently a pain in the ass to set up with modifying the CSC and adding other files), would disable the ridiculous maximum SMS limit of 3x140 characters, and also get rid of the bloatware in a safe way, without risking wakelocks going into overdrive because a process is trying to find a file I've deleted
>>
>>54530279

Then do it then. It's not particularly risky or hard to do. Just make sure to read up a quick guide on your phone to make sure you don't accidentally brick it.
>>
>>54530968
No, I completely understand that... But I'm just curious how much privacy/data issues come into it with a custom ROM.

I often see people on here commenting on how "Pajeet" will collect all my data... And yes, it may be an overdone joke, but I'm unsure how much truth there is behind it
>>
>>54531044
Cyanogenmod is an incorporated company now, with developers from all over the world. Their code is open source. They also put privacy tools in your hands. The pajeet thing is a meme; you only need to worry about spyware in a situation like SuperSU, where the source code is hidden, and being maintained entirely in China.
>>
>>54531140
Unfortunately CM is still in development on my phone.

I've also heard about the SuperSU spyware issue in the past - could you elaborate? I thought it was maintained by Chainfire (who is pretty well respected as a developer). What alternative do people suggest?
>>
>>54531329
I heard Chainfire was still working on it, but he either sold it, or allowed it to be maintained by Chinese devs.
I don't do standalone root, so I don't know of any alternatives besides KingoROOT, which is almost definitely greyware. CM is the most prolific ROM out there, so if you can't find support there, you're SOL. Replicant and PA are mostly for the Nexus line of phones.
I would look into porting it yourself, or see if anyone has an unofficial port of CM. Keep in mind that unofficial CM ports are usually buggy all to hell.
>>
>>54530211
>Is it really anymore risky
Yes and no.With root you have the ability to watch and manipulate processes,so you can easily tell if you've got some weird shit going on.You can use things like osmonitor and cat-log combined with Tcpdump and Netstat to sniff out any sleazy shit.I'm a paranoid Linux user so all of this is second nature to me.Just go with a popular ROM and you should be safe.But I always recommend keeping an eye on things for a short period time after installation.Nobody can be trusted these days.
>>
>>54531472
Hmm okay, thanks for the heads up

>>54531636
This is exactly what stops me from installing it at the moment. I think I've only recently advanced from a 'beginner' with regards to rooting/processes etc on Android at the moment, but that still leaves me at the mercy of advanced malicious developers

Do you think if a ROM has been flashed ~300,000 times, it's safe? That another advanced user would have flagged it by now if something wasn't right?
>>
>>54530211
Just make sure you have nandroid back up of your current ROM in case you fuck up while flashing a new ROM, or are unsatisfied with it and want to go back. This way you practically incur no risk of flashing a new ROM, unless you brick your device
>>
>>54531840
Yeah, all backed up with TWRP

Reflashed back from CM with my last phone after it messed with 4G, so not completely tech illiterate

And thankfully it's pretty hard to hard brick phones these days
>>
>>54531764
>That another advanced user would have flagged it by now if something wasn't right?
Most likely,but as I said before,you never really know for sure.Stock ROMs have been found to contain what amounts to malware. CarrierIQ,for example was in tons of off the shelf devices.I really don't want to scare you,just get to know your device and keep tabs on what it's doing every now and then.I'm sure you'll be fine.
>>
>>54531918
How do you keep tabs when you are next to illiterate?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.