[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where are good tech jobs based in the US? I will not go to California.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
Where are good tech jobs based in the US?

I will not go to California. I'd prefer to avoid NYC. I'd like something with Scala or Haskell (I've got 5 years experience with the former). Am I out of luck?
>>
>>54528912
You really think anyone here knows anything about tech? This is just a Linux/apple/android shill board with retards yelling at each other about the same shit every day
>>
>>54529002
Oh. That kinda sucks.
>>
>>54528912
And I want a fucking pony.
>>
>Asking 4chan for career advice
Gee, you're sure gonna make it far in life
>>
>>54528912
Ask /r/cscareerquestions, they have decent knowledge I believe.
>>
>>54530881
>>54530881
>>54530881
>>54530881
>>Asking 4chan for career advice
>Gee, you're sure gonna make it far in life

This so hard
>>
>>54528912
CNC programming
Financial programming

tech != developing user-end applications, making bloated websites, and tech support for windows tards
>>
NYC, Boston, Minneapolis, Charlotte
>>
>>54528912

SAP consulting
>>
>>54528912
If you can get a job as a high school janitor, there will probably be a computer lab somewhere in the building that you can clean periodically
>>
>>54528912
Why not silicon valley? That's literally the fucking place to go for tech jobs.
>>
>>54528912
go fucking look for it on google, cunt

>>>/biz/
>>
just go to silicon valley
>>
ignore /pol/tards, the bay area is a great place to work right now. Def worth it if you are beginning of career to make some solid networks
>>
>>54532045
Yeah seriously, I had a really fucking hard time finding a job and now that i am based in the bay area I get a bunch of unsolicited job offers from former employers.

Each time I switch companies I get a pretty decent raise as well. When I first moved here I started off at $20 /hr because I am a fucking idiot and didn't know the market, after 4 job hops I am up to $45 /hr.

The best part is employers here expect you jump around.
>>
>>54528912
/g/ is not for career advice
/g/ is not for job advice
/g/ is for discussion of technology

your spic ass will not find a job without a valid work permit and you won't get one so expect to work mopping floors or delivering tacos.
>>
>>54532071
About to start in SF, how long before people normally switch after their first job? equity vests over 4 years but if the company doesn't IPO by then it probably won't be worth shit anyways
>>
>>54532156
Well startups are different. I just moved over to a startup, got 20,000 shares, same vesting period as you.

The idea is that after it vests I am going to be able to actually afford a house here.
>>
The Boston area is probably the most rapidly growing tech hub. Plus you can get around without a car.

Seattle is alright, not as much going on, but if you like nature and shit you'll have a good balance between

That being said, why not look for remote work? I live and work in Boston but I've realized that going into an office and wearing clothes every day is kind of annoying. I'm going to try to switch to something where I can work from home.
>>
>>54532313
>Seattle is alright, not as much going on, but if you like nature and shit you'll have a good balance between city life and mountains, trees, the water, etc.

Forgot to complete that sentence before.
>>
>>54532156
I think for google the median time for people to work there is about 1 year.

Most people I've worked with in the bay area have been at their place for less than 5 years I think 2 years won't really get much notice. If you have something like 6 months you'll want the next position on your resume to be an obvious promotion.

Typically you jump around while you are trying to get to a higher position/pay grade. Now that I am at 92k I won't be jumping around as much.
>>
>>54532313
Currently working from home here. Normally I work in Palo Alto but I have some apartment shit to deal with so I am shitposting on the internet with lync open so it looks like I am working.
>>
>>54528912
Holy shit, is that Sylicon Valley? It looks cancerous.
>>
>>54532366
Yeah I had to do some shit for my place last week and worked from home for a couple days. That's when I realized that going into an office is truly a waste.

During my downtime, instead of browsing the web and pretending to look busy, I did some home tasks and drew a bunch of pictures. It was fantastic.
>>
File: Willie-Nelson.jpg (113 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
Willie-Nelson.jpg
113 KB, 612x380
Austin is fine.
>>
>>54532386
That is not silicon valley
>>
>>54532386
Pretty sure that's a painting.
>>
File: San_Jose_Skyline_Silicon_Valley.jpg (1 MB, 2496x1664) Image search: [Google]
San_Jose_Skyline_Silicon_Valley.jpg
1 MB, 2496x1664
Here's a pic of San Jose, which is silicon valley
>>
>I WANT A JOB
>I REFUSE TO GO TO THE PLACE THAT HAS THE JOB I WANT

You're fucking retarded. Go compete with Indians in Seattle.
>>
>>54532518
the other picture captures the feel better imo
>>
>>54532542
post one
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.