[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I did the unspeakable. I installed kwin and dolphin on top of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: kde.png (607 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
kde.png
607 KB, 2880x1800
I did the unspeakable.
I installed kwin and dolphin on top of xubuntu.

Honestly I am surprised that it "just werks".
This is actually nice, anyone made this abomination before?
Whisker menu with god tier dolphin and kwin effects.
>>
>>54526694
Post pics
>>
>>54526694
Kwin works a lot better without plasma shell, right?
>>
>>54526694
>on top of xubuntu
What do you mean? You installed KDE alongside XFCE on Ubuntu?

That's not an abomination, that's just having more than one DE on your OS. Most login managers allow you to choose a DE at login.
>>
>>54526793
I believe he's using kwin instead of metacity now.
>>
>>54526793
Hi newfriend, no, I am using XFCE with Kwin instead of xfwm and dolphin instead of thunar.
>>
>>54526789
Cant tell if its better per se but it does works normally without all the bloat from plasma.
>>
File: id rather install windoze10.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
id rather install windoze10.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
>KDE

ew
>>
It's no surprise that Xfce is very modular and easy to mix and match. How much better is kwin than xfwm though?
>>
>dolphin on xfce
Fucking yes
Thanks for the idea
>>
File: Mandi.png (656 KB, 1166x806) Image search: [Google]
Mandi.png
656 KB, 1166x806
>>54526694
Doesn't dolphin need baloo to show metadata on files and do advanced searches? Isn't it gimped compared to dolphin on full plasma 5?
>>
>>54526694
>just werks
explain it to me, because I tried it once and I didn't have title bars, couldn't find any menus to tweak kwin settings, and went back to xfwm4 with compton
>>
>>54526694
Linux kids playing with their half-assed ugly interfaces while for Windows and Mac people everything works out of the box
>>
>>54528448
Yes it does. But you can use "balooctl check" and it will preform indexing.

>>54526694
Have been using that setup for about 1 month now. Remeber you also can start krunner. My main point for using this setup.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.