[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is THE most used git command? Right, "commit all changes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: article_img.jpg (17 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
article_img.jpg
17 KB, 300x250
What is THE most used git command?
Right, "commit all changes with this message".

Now, why the fuck does THE most used command in git look like this:

git stage -A
git commit -m ""

instead of

git c ""

or something?

And why the fuck does the default output of git log wastes 95% of terminal area on human-unreadable, useless, full hashes noone gives a fuck about?

Fucking FOSS retards can't even design a decent CLI interface.
>>
>>54525364
>using git stage -A
>not using god-tier git add -A
Stay pleb faggot
>>
alias gitc='git commit -am'
>>
>>54525446
Of course, of course. That's the problem with FOSS retards: they make default configs as fucked up as they can possibly be and then make everyone waste their time customizing shit just to make it somehow usable. There are whole websites dedicated to "sane configs": http://vimconfig.com/. How fucked up is that?
>>
git gud
>>
>>54525364
>CLI interface
>command line interface interface
nice
>>
>>54525364
>using a comand line client
>not using git for windows
2grillspointandlaugh.jpg
>>
>>54525364
Because being overly terse (even if it's just an alias) is not user friendly.
>>
>not having your commit as a conditional build step depending on unit and component test pass status
>>
git was a mistake
>>
git commit -am "<commit message>"
Fucking retard
>>
>>54525406
>>54525406
this
>>
>>54525364
What git stands for according to Linus: "goddamn idiotic truckload of sh*t"
>>
>>54526111

does not commit new files
>>
>>54525364
Use mercurial and you only have to type

hg commit -m ""

as long as you only modified files.
Mercurial also does not fuck up your branch history when you merge a branch (something I really hate about git).
>>
>>54526558
Unfortunately it's not so easy to just switch SCM tools in an established team with a complex development ecosystem.

Although that probably speaks volumes about the agility of said team.
>>
>>54525364
Alias that shit you idiot.

alias gitc='git commit -a -m'

That's why most working devs don't complain about that crap.
>>
>>54525364
baby's first day using git?
ls = log --pretty=format:"%C(yellow)%h%Cred%d\\ %Creset%s%Cblue\\ [%cn]" --decorate
ll = log --pretty=format:"%C(yellow)%h%Cred%d\\ %Creset%s%Cblue\\ [%cn]" --decorate --numstat

add to your git alias config
>>
>>54525364
git clone

>implying contributors are >1% of git usage
>>
Because you haven't aliased it?
>>
>>54525364
It's not like you ever actually have to type it out, pretty much any IDE will take care of it automatically.
>>
>>54526914
People cloning repositories to use them only do it once or maybe a couple times a year. Probably almost every developer uses git commit at least once a day. I would say there are more people who clone, but fewer actual clones.
>>
File: 1462495326570.gif (263 KB, 480x479) Image search: [Google]
1462495326570.gif
263 KB, 480x479
>>54525364
>still can't download a single file from a folder with git
>but with svn it's a right click export with small command
>>
>>54527244
It gets used a lot in the backend.
https://archlinux.fr/yaourt-en
Every install/update for example
>>
Gitkraken for life, fuck terminal
>>
>>54525364
What's wrong with commit? It tells you exactly what it does, it's either to remember, and it's not like you'll commit your work every 2 seconds. That's something you'll do maybe once an hour.
>>54525450
Nobody is forcing you to use vim. fucking retard.
>>
>>54526482
That's a good thing, retard
>>
I hate git and always use mercurial (hg) where I can.

The nice thing about mercurial is hg-git which means you can clone/push to git repos from hg without engaging too much in the brain damage that git ad the people use it go through.

At one point I had to work with some fucks who constantly force pushed to their repo which left me either merging tens of files by hand or running this shit after each pull:
grep -lr '<<<<<<<' . | xargs git checkout --theirs
>>
>>54528011
>retards rewriting history

How is working with retarded devs git's fault?

>I use hg

Lol
>>
>>54528162
>How is working with retarded devs git's fault?
Git allows them to have such moronic behaviour.

>Lol
What is Lol is git being total trash that is starting to hit technical limits and drive huge companies like google and facebook to start using it because git cannot cope.
>>
>>54528450
>start using it
it -> hg
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.