[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Useful languages for a life science major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Oreilly bioinformatics.jpg (37 KB, 381x499) Image search: [Google]
Oreilly bioinformatics.jpg
37 KB, 381x499
Hey /g/, life sciences undergrad here. I'm wondering what the best language would be for me to learn in terms of how applicable it is to bioinformatics. Apologies if this is too tangential to tech. I didn't know whether to post here or in /sci/.
>>
>>54522696
Python obviously. You'll probably use R, maybe MATLAB, Mathematica?
>>
>>54522696
^ what ever has the most libraries available. Stick with the industry standard but always be prepared to move on.
>>
>>54522714
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I'm already starting to learn python. Mostly interested in other languages that might be useful.
>>
I believe from what the bioinformatics folks I know have told me it's as >>54522714 said, Python. Relatively easy one to learn, as far as languages go.

Posting the thread here is fine.
>>
>>54522748
Might consider getting a solid handle on Python and know how to do a lot of stuff with it before you start branching out to other languages. Knowing how to do Hello World or FizzBuzz in 30 languages is not exactly useful, especially compared to being able to do advanced stuff in 1 language (at which point learning additional languages will be even easier).
>>
>>54522838
Yeah python is also the language my uni teaches in it's first programming classes. I'm thinking of working towards a comp sci minor and I'd end up needing to take a C class as well which I figured wouldn't be super useful. I figure in terms of electives I'd want to take classes on algorithms and databases?
>>
>>54522838
It's just going to make it easier because you know what a programming logic is,which isnt much. c c++ java javascript etc are still going to be almost filled with wntirely new concepts
>>
You should learn about regular expressions if you don't already know about them, they are invaluable for finding patterns in gene sequences. Perl has been used historically in bioinformatics for this reason.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.