[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Technology of the live Simpsons episode
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: simpsons.jpg (129 KB, 550x309) Image search: [Google]
simpsons.jpg
129 KB, 550x309
So The Simpsons is going to have an episode where Homer is going to take LIVE CALLS from viewers during its broadcast. How will that be possible from a technological point of view?
>>
Real-time CG isn't that hard.
>>
>CG
>voice actors doing the show live

This isn't hard to imagine.
Honestly, I'm amazed the simpsons has run for this long. Nobody gives 2 fucks about the simpsons anymore, the writers certainly don't.
Everyone universally agrees it should have ended 10 years ago, and the only reason it's still airing is because any replacement show at the same time-slot will never match the ratings of the simpsons.
>>
WOW HOLY SHIT

who gives a fuck
>>
>>54522498

>any replacement show at the same time-slot will never match the ratings of the simpsons.

Maybe some day. Every season the average drops a fair bit. It's almost on par with Family Guy.
>>
>>54522435
>>54522498
This

Also, it's quite probable that they will have canned responses along canned questions, just like Obongo does when doing Q&A
>>
Easy. Script a bunch of questions, animate responses to those questions, and have people in the studio "call in" asking the questions.
>>
>>54522536
I think this is a sign that TV is dying more than anything else.
I can't even remember the last time I watched broadcast tv.

>>54522543
Honestly, it's just easier to fake the Q&A altogether.
How would anyone prove it?
Would anyone even care if they were discovered?
What a dumb fucking gimmick.
>>
>>54522561
The only reason to care would be if you're stupid enough to think they're going to take the kinds of calls they're inevitably going to get. They're not going to air calls from /b/tards asking Homer about his thoughts on whoring out Marge to a bunch of black people to pay for Maggie's college fund. Considering the amount of calls they're likely to get, they could probably animate a random segment and merge together calls that sync well enough with the lip movement through some fancy-pants analysis.
>>
>>54522611
>Their queries will have to be approved before being posed on the air, and there will be a seven-second delay to prevent on-air vulgarity that’s not coming from Homer.

So yeah, no fun allowed.
>>
File: composition.jpg (56 KB, 800x300) Image search: [Google]
composition.jpg
56 KB, 800x300
They'll probably use cel shading on a 3D model of Homer and then put motion capture dots on the voice actors face to animate it in real time
>>
>>54522421
Half life 2 was capable of animating real time lip syncing in 2004
>>
Very few cartoons are broadcast live. It puts a terrible strain on the animators' wrists.
>>
>>54522421
They animate clips showing the full mouth shape range, and do essentially a news broadcast where they use a switchboard to vary between all of the different animated segments.

The animation is probably limited to simple things like sitting, walking, and Family Guy cutaways.
>>
>>54522966
:-^)
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.