[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Charter buys TWC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: charter-time-warner-cable1[1].jpg (90 KB, 446x299) Image search: [Google]
charter-time-warner-cable1[1].jpg
90 KB, 446x299
Charter got its final approval this week to buy TWC.

Never used Charter and I'm under TWC right now.

What should I expect?
>>
>>54519315
Apparently they're under obligation from the FCC and FTC to build out infrastructure in both existing and new areas. I'm stuck with TWC as well, so hopefully that means I can get some speeds above 50Mb/s download.

Also, no data caps for something like 7 or 10 years guaranteed.
>>
Sucks 2bh.

I have TWC. Use my own modem and router.

Pay $45/m for 200/20mbit.
>>
>>54519429

damn i pay 60 for charter spectrum with 8MB/s down stream ;_;
>>
>>54519315

go with whatever has the best price/performance
>>
File: douge.jpg (16 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
douge.jpg
16 KB, 600x549
>>54519315
Most American ISP's are fucking dog shit tier. Especially Charter/Comcast.

>>54519370
>Charter
>Upgrading infrastructure
KEK
>>
>>54520880
>Go with whatever

Alternatives are dial up and dsl
>>
>>54520976

jesus christ those feels
>>
> asymmetric internet connections

wew top pleb.
>>
>>54519370
Im sorry. charter is shit and once they own twc they'll make that just as terrible.

They wont be upping speeds past 60/5 (or if you are lucky 100/5 for "business" accounts in some areas) anytime soon.

long live the monopoly!
>>
>>54521067

well least they don't enforce data caps :^(
>>
Community meshnets literally when?

It's not like they are hard to make, All we gotta do is get the ham guys on board to run the nodes are were golden.
>>
>>54521093
Yeah, they don't give a shit if you torrent, either.
>>
>only in california
thank god twc has been real good here in texas the last two years
>>
at least your lucky
>YFW you have cablevision
>Cablevision bought by some french firm that took out $17billion in debt to acquire them
>Tfw they're not going to spend one cent to improve service, will increase bills and cut everything they can to eek out a profit.

I'm so fucked ;_;
>>
>>54521146
oh wait fuck is this nationwide or just in california????
fuck dude charter is dog shit. time to switch to at&t
>>
>>54521125

ok ;_;
>>
>>54521189
>time to switch to at&t

AT&T has data caps unless you buy their TV service as well.

They charged me $500 to hook up my internet because someone misspelled my name/social on the credit check, and I guess if you've screwed ATT&T out of money in the past they charge you up front. I have decent credit and I have never had AT&T. It took me an entire month and like a dozen phone calls to clear that shit up because the tier 0 billing support refused to escalate my call to someone who could actually help me. Eventually had to file a complaint with the BBB.

Fast internet though. 2/10
>>
>>54521234

what speeds/price?
>>
>>54521067
>cable
>ever having high upload
>>
>>54521111
Never.
>bbbut someone pleb told me it was possible and EASY

Cool beans, try using regular wifi in an apartment building - now imagine that's the internet, everywhere, ever.
There isn't enough frequency available to the public to run a mesh network of any size.
>>
>>54521301
>>>54521111
>Never.
>>bbbut someone pleb told me it was possible and EASY
>Cool beans, try using regular wifi in an apartment building - now imagine that's the internet, everywhere, ever.
>There isn't enough frequency available to the public to run a mesh network of any size.

Then we take the frequency by force.
>>
>>54521313
You do that, I'll be over here having nothing to do with it.
>>
>>54521332
Why exactly?
>>
>>54520924
american ISP's are still better than majority of the world.. sadly.
>>
>>54521351

that feel when no google fiber
>>
>>54521264
3 mb/s down, $54.00 + $7 equipment fee (And this is a 1 year contract)

I have literally no other ISP option in my area. It is either ATT or DirectTV(Satellite internet brought to you by ATT!). I think my apartment complex signed a contract with them.

I do not have TV (because their TV sucks. I tried it, aint nobody got time for commercials and laggy interface) so I'll probably have to pay for data overages when they start enforcing it (or pay an extra $30 for unlimited)

SURE GLAD THE INTERNET ISNT REGULATING ISPs. LAND OF THE FREE!
>>
>>54521426

>SURE GLAD THE INTERNET

s/internet/government/
>>
>>54521426

how horrifying
>>
>>54520976
Or satellite, if you don't mind VERY low data caps.
>>
>>54519315

Paying for 60 down, getting around 80. Upload is 4 for some reason. Never dipped below 60 but the upload bugs the fuck out of me.

Other people in my area don't have good experiences though, no idea why.
>>
>>54521482
>>54521482
Sounds like you're being sarcastic, if that's the case, fine.

I'm just still salty that after I spent thousands to move across the country I had to pay $500 to get my internet /activated/.

I said, "Are you sure, faceless representative?" and they said "Yes, I can't discuss this because credit rating laws". And I didn't have the ability to shop around because it was either ATT or the highway for my area. It was literally $500 to turn on my internet because of a typo.

When I canceled my TV service the guy on the phone told me he wasn't sure why I was charged $500 and refunded me.

Next bill I get from them is for $550. Why? They're recharging me the "credit services fee" that I just got refunded. I spent dozens of hours on the phone, being told I didn't owe the fee, that I did owe the fee, being treated like a dirty cheat, etc.

Because of a typo. Because for some reason, no one would escalate my call.

"Gee representative #1153, can you just escalate my call?"
"No need anon, my manager will take care of you. This will be faster. Trust me, I have worked here for 16 years :^)"

I tried to cancel my service, but since they had delayed helping me so long I would have been charged a cancelation fee (contract) on top of the extra $500. And honestly, I'd just be out internet so it wasn't a viable option anyway.

Like I said, I had to complain to the BBB before anyone decided to adjust my bill. I wasn't sure that would work, but I thought I would give it a shot since it cost me nothing but time (which I had already wasted hours of on the phone over the course of a month making at least 4 calls a week)

Before I moved here I lived overseas and had SHIT SERVICE thanks to the local area so maybe I'm just out of line, maybe $60 a month (plus overage? I guess we'll see next month) is fine for 3mb/s but damn, I am never getting those hours back I had to spend on the phone to correct their mistake.
>>
>>54521923
I hope you live out in the boondocks, because 60 a month for 3mb/s is an absolute ripoff.
>>
File: skull-fire-horror-21468436.jpg (15 KB, 156x160) Image search: [Google]
skull-fire-horror-21468436.jpg
15 KB, 156x160
>>54519315
>Charter
>What should I expect?
>>
>>54522136
Just to be clear, I get 24 mbps which is 3 MB/s, the advertised rate. Yes I do live in the middle of nowhere. U-verse internet is new here so I am "lucky".
>>
I have Charter and haven't had internet for two days because it stormed.
>>
I have relatives with Charter. It's pure shit.

I had TWC for years. No issues. Only left because FIOS was installed in my neighborhood.

If I still had TWC I would switch before the changeover. And probably write an open letter to Charter and the fucking Federal bribed government explaining why.

Then again I'm probably fucked to since Verizon sold FIOS to some asshats some where.
>>
Ive had charter for the past 5yrs and the last 2yrs they managed to up my speeds to about 95mb down and 7mb up. Sadly they have the same shit sales model that forces you to call in and pretend to quite their service when they want to double ur cost in yr 2. You used to be able to get away with it but now they just say to fuck off bc they know you will be back as they have no competition.

So i have 2 awesome tricks to help all you future charter bitches. Order new service online by only selecting internet. Eventually it will offer you internet and their full tv package for about 80$ which even phone reps dont have access to. Second that promo offer will expire after a year so you will have to cancel your service for 30 days and 'try' att for that period while ur account resets or tou can use a spouse or friends info to signup again.
>>
File: tomaert.png (222 KB, 1000x924) Image search: [Google]
tomaert.png
222 KB, 1000x924
>>54521301
>There isn't enough frequency available to the public to run a mesh network of any size.
>>
File: tfw.png (290 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
290 KB, 640x480
>>54521351
Only true when compared to third world countries without power.
Compared to other developed countries US internet is bottom barrel tier.
Australia does not count.
>>
>What should I expect?

Nothing, unless you're one of those fucking retards that use public torrent sites.
>>
>>54521426
>$7 equipment fee
> equipment
> fee

WHAT?
Why would you nee dto PAY for the shit-tier standard ultra low hardware soap box issued by the ISP?
How about using an own DSL / DOCSIS modem?
Or Fiber-media converter.

Using ISP-Hardware literally is BOTNET!
>>
File: c.png (32 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
c.png
32 KB, 300x135
>>54521156

Yeah you're fucked.

Then again, both my ISP options were also bought it with a ton of debt as well. I went from having TWC and Verizon to now having debt ridden companies Charter and Frontier. At least TWC upgraded the infrastructure in my area but I'm not sure if my speeds will stay the same since Charter has some really retarded speed tiers.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.