[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will eGPUs kill desktop PCs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: temp.jpg (65 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
65 KB, 800x550
Are external GPUs a meme or actually usable?
Can we just get a decent laptop with [whatever port an eGPU needs] and throw our desktop computers into the trash?
>>
>150$ just for a proper case
>inferior as fuck cpus
sure it will kill pcs
>>
Sounds cool to me OP. I'd love one of those on my T420
>>
>>54512431
no because:
all laptops inherently overheat
all laptops inherently have shitty screens which are unupgradeable
all laptops are inherently unupgradeable
you still can't run 2+ GPUs
>>
>>54512536
mobile CPU are becoming very powerful and the eGPU thing is only a small cost to give you easy desktop graphics
>>
>>54513080
external monitor retard.

no one but the the real professionals needs to replace CPU more often than they would normally replace their laptop.
>>
They already have for me.
Thunderbolt 3 with the 40gbps link speed will put the nail in the coffin.
>>
>>54512977
What t410 could handle games
>>
>>54512431
You'd need thunderbolt it's the only PCI-E replacement at this point that can handle a egpu properly.

But yeah it's not really worth it unless you have a pretty beefy cpu to handle it.

And if you're using an egpu with an express card or mPCIe interface you always have to tweak the shit out of the timmings with a special startup script to get it to work.

So yeah it's kinda meh.
>>
>>54513175
then why not just get a small desktop, like microatx small or maybe smaller
>>
>>54513175
>external monitor
thus defeating the purpose of a fucking laptop
>>
>>54513080
you are right on the global answer: No

but the reasons you gave are wrong.

A laptop overheats MAINLY because of the gpu inside it. An E gpu would actually solve the issue
>yeah b-but cpu produces heat too
Not as much as Gpus

Screen quality is mostly overlooked by mainstream buyers. They want something big and flat, thats it.

Sli or crossfire is something that is not commin amongst pc users. it is even more rare in the laptop world. so i dont think it would be a limiting factor

>>54512431

Egpu allready existed in 2008-2007, it didn t work. Market is not interested because:

-Gamers that want to game while away buy a gaming laptop right away

-people who dont game want something portable and dont give a shit about gpu. they just want a good cpu, a lot of ram and an SSD

-most people who game do it on desktop.

personnally i would buy an E-gpu but, market will not be there to support it
>>
>>54513242
Because then you get a laptop too
>>
>>54513252
It's a laptop so you can work on the go
>>
>>54513080
>all laptops inherently overheat
wrong
>all laptops inherently have shitty screens which are unupgradeable
Extremely wrong, my Latitude e6440 has a 1080p IPS screen in it, at best they originally shipped with a shitty TN900p screen. Do some research first retard.

>all laptops are inherently unupgradeable
Also false. Maybe ten years ago this mattered, but today the best you need is haswell to do anything, and in the next year or two, business grade laptops with haswell on ebay are gonna drop in price like rocks. my e6440 cost me 400 bucks and I can buy an i7 4810qm for it that beats the piss out of any desktop i5. Costs about as much as one too.
>you still can't run 2+ GPUs
Pull your head out of your ass at some point, please.
>>
>>54513318
You can upgrade the CPU? That'd awesome
>>
>>54513284
then what purpose does an eGPU serve if you're not gonna be plugging it into an external monitor, or doing anything GPU intensive with it?
'cause lets face it, if you WERE doing any GPU intensive stuff, you'd be working on a desktop.

TL;DR eGPUs are a ham-fisted """solution""" to laptops' major point of failure.
>>
Where are the monitors with integrated external gpu's?
>>
>>54513378
You will when you aren't working on the go.
>>
>>54513422
if you aren't "working on the go", then what's the bloody point of a laptop?!
>>
>>54513205
>You'd need thunderbolt it's the only PCI-E replacement at this point that can handle a egpu properly.

This. But even then the bus won't be as fast as the internal buss that connects the CPU to the GPU, so there will be a performance loss.
>>
File: chrome_2016-05-12_12-12-51.png (471 KB, 917x688) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-05-12_12-12-51.png
471 KB, 917x688
>>54513363
You can upgrade the CPU in MOST laptops.
>>
>>54513443
Having the choice.
>>
>>54513378
>then what purpose does an eGPU serve if you're not gonna be plugging it into an external monitor, or doing anything GPU intensive with it?

It's multipurpose, it can have both the power of a tower and the portability of a laptop when you need it. Instead of two machines you have one + a single peripheral.

It's totally reasonable to debate how much a quality of life improvement there is and if the benefits out weighs the cost, but it's full fucking autismo to not see why somebody would want that.
>>
>>54513453
>This. But even then the bus won't be as fast as the internal buss that connects the CPU to the GPU, so there will be a performance loss.

Nigga what the fuck do you think 40Gb/s means?
>>
I don't think so. eGpu kits are quite expensive. Most people would rather just get a fucking console if they want to game.
>>
>>54513155

Integrated GPUs are becoming more powerful sure. I could run. Skyrim on a macbook air. It's not a pleasant experience though.

The non integrated gpus are usually put in really shitty built laptops that will crap on you. I had two gaymer laptops. Both fried

Fuck gaming though.
>>
>>54513454
I thought laptop components were soldered to the motherboard. I own a shit cheap HP 15 laptop with an AMD E1-2100. Currently saving up to build a desktop.

If I could upgrade to an A10 I would.
>>
>>54513544
Gaming laptops from recent time like Alienware R2 are actually pretty good though, even with some great battery life using skylake + GPU switch.
>>
When you buy the right laptop, you should understand what you're really buying is a case assembly, motherboard and power supply combo that are exclusive to one another.

Literally every single other component can be upgraded.

Look up the Precision m4800 for fucks sake. It has a fully upgradable GPU and CPU, 4 DIM slots for a max of like 64GB of RAM and has the thermal head room to take a CPU that rivals desktop i7s. You can stick a 4k IPS screen into it, mechanical keyboard, and what ever the fuck else.

Agreed, consumer trash laptops you buy a fuck mart for 400 dollars with dinky ass pentiums are a god damn rip off and should be avoided, but some laptops are genuinely god tier.
>>
>>54513252
No it doesn't

You have portability when your on the go, then can plug into a full workstation once you are at home or at your office.
You can upgrade your personal monitor as much as you can, same way with a desktop, but you can't have a desktop with you or you look autistic as fuck, those people that carry around the imacs are bad enough imagine with a full tower??
>>
>>54513573
What's the model number. It's unlikely it can be upgraded because HP laptops suck the biggest fattest ass but I can check pretty quickly. (They're probably the worst consumer laptop manufacturer in the world for this)

I repair laptops for a living, so I've seen all kinds and most of the time, the CPU is upgradable.

That's changing sadly, ALL skylake and Zen CPUs will be soldered in, which burns my ass like a fire cracker. Doesn't matter though. WE've reached the plateau, the next major breakthrough in computing will be quantum and we're a decade off. Until then, Haswell IPC will suffice.
>>
>>54512431
No
>>
>>54513612
cant* be upgraded
>>
>>54513612
It's a 15 f004dx
>>
>>54513573
http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/latitude-e6440-laptop_owner's%20manual_en-us.pdf

That's the service manual for my laptop. Notice how much of it can be changed.

That hot swappable ODD bay is fucking awesome by the way.
>>
File: 1462872102236.jpg (208 KB, 780x1131) Image search: [Google]
1462872102236.jpg
208 KB, 780x1131
>buying a laptop
>literally made for portability
>adding in a heavy as fuck graphics card plus eGPU case thing
autism
>>
>>54512431
In twenty years, yes. For now it's the same problem miniaturization has always had - sacrificing features to save space.
>>
>>54513443
>I have to so somewhere and can do some work there
>Let me take my laptop
>A while later
>I'm back from where I was and need to finish up my work and possibly fuck around after
>Let me put my laptop down and plug it into my screen/eGPU

Some people go outside to do things, anon.
>>
>>54513080
>all laptops inherently have shitty screens which are unupgradeable
My nigga I've seen 5K laptop screens you need to check your poorfag bullshit.
>>
>>54513721
This.

Really eGPU systems are just upgradeable docking stations.

Come home, plug in thunderbolt 3 and power connector(I am sure later on they will get them in some sort of single connector).
>>
File: mobo fug XD.jpg (307 KB, 1328x747) Image search: [Google]
mobo fug XD.jpg
307 KB, 1328x747
>>54513658
Haha

I actually have the motherboard of one of these peices of shit on my wall.

Sadly, The CPU is Soldered. Decent as far as HP laptops go though. But yeah, I've worked on these before and sorry to say but you wasted your money.

here is your service manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04763999
>>
>>54512431
>tfw want to build an egpu rig for my x220
>but i already have a perfectly fine desktop for gaming
>tfw i just want to build SOMETHING but cant justify it and have no money
>>
>>54513698
You realize that you wouldn't carry the eGPU around with you all t he time, right? Just take your laptop to work where you aren't gonna gaym anyway, and leave the eGPU at home/wherever you wanna gaym. Still cheaper than buying a whole seperate desktop computer.
>>
>>54513882
It's called capitalism
>>
>>54513882
good goy, give us more of your shekels
>>
>>54512536
>>inferior as fuck cpus
Hypothetically, they could put a more powerful CPU in the laptop and underclock it while in laptop mode to save power/not get as hot, but then when it is docked in a cradle with extra cooling + an eGPU, it would unlock the full potential of the CPU.
>>
>>54512431
This and eDisplay
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.