[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC/Mac Pros & Cons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: yor-1.jpg (60 KB, 400x268) Image search: [Google]
yor-1.jpg
60 KB, 400x268
I've used PC computers my entire life, and my family has, over the last five or so years, begun switching to use Mac computers. I've used teh system numerous times, and it's not for me, but they constantly gibber about how their system is superior to mine and stuff like that.
I'm not arguing against them because that would just be chucking shit and not getting anywhere, so I'd thought I'd ask you guys.

What are some objective Pros and Cons for both Mac and PC? (Preferrably without buzwords)

This is not bait, nor shitposting, I'm genuinely curious.
>>
The best OS is the one you know how to use the best
>>
MAC OS = locked down and incompatible with over 90% of win32 software out there.

WIN OS = customizable and compatible with over 90% of win32 software out there.

Obviously a MAC OS isn't good for anything at all. Pretty much just a hipster OS.
>>
>>54510051
>OSX Pros
- Unix based, so you have access to all the core *nix utilities
- Better highdpi support
- No ads built into the OS
- No forced updates (and Apple's update servers will actually max your download speed, so updates are painless anyway)
-Still have access to professional software like Adobe shit and all that kind of stuff
- Better user interface. OSX has more sane keyboard shortcuts than Windows, Finder is better the File Explorer, Spotlight is better than Windows search, etc
- Prettier OS

>Windows Pros
- Has muh gayms
- Isn't associated with any particular hardware (most consumer shitboxes are shit anyway so take that as you will; the more expensive Apple boxes are at least a little bit better built usually)

>Linux Pros
- Freedom
- Actually customisable and configurable
- Better generic hardware support than either Windows or OSX (for obvious reasons)
- No NSA spying
- More configurable than the other options
- fcitx ABSOLUTELY SHITS ON both Windows and OSX IME, in case you write in a non-Roman language.
- Filesystem that isn't a fucking joke
- Has some *nix utilities (like, for example, latex and qemu) that are easier to access and set up than on OSX

>>54510180
>windows
>customisable
haha call me when you can replace your window manager or core utilities in your OS. At least in OSX you can install x11 if you really want.

Spoken like a true winbabby
>>
>>54510180
WIN OS (10) = locked down and incompatible with over 100% of OS X software out there.

Are you retarded or are you a Pajeet?
>>
>>54510241
None of that shit matters. Windows OSs will always be superior to MAC OSs because of software support and customizability where it matters.

I've owned a macbook before btw.
>>
>>54510255
>WIN OS (10) = locked down and incompatible with over 100% of OS X software out there.
Good cause it all sucks.

When I said MAC OS is incompatible with over 90% of win32 software I meant the software vendors rarely have a MAC distribution for most useful software.
>>
>>54510282
Do you even know how much software OS X has? OS X has as much if not more alternatives to every Windows program. With the addition that their UI isn't all over the place (unlike Windows' software) and that it's not written by Pajeets.
>>
MacOS is unix-like, Its really nice when you need to do development/programming.

Windows is compatible with so many programs and you are free to run shit on windows the way you want to. well see how the Win10 Ubuntu thing fairs, all its missing is a nice terminal.
>>
>>54510303
Stop posting niggers, it's gross.
>>
File: T.I. Agrees with Anon.png (399 KB, 700x496) Image search: [Google]
T.I. Agrees with Anon.png
399 KB, 700x496
>>54510119
>>
>>54510311
>When I said MAC OS is incompatible with over 90% of win32 software I meant the software vendors rarely have a MAC distribution for most useful software.

So, you are retarded?
>>
>>54510316
>Do you even know how much software OS X has? OS X has as much if not more alternatives to every Windows program.
And they all suck, believe me I know.

>With the addition that their UI isn't all over the place (unlike Windows' software) and that it's not written by Pajeets.
That goes for mac software too but at least with windows software you can get work done.
>>
File: 1439298874103.png (124 KB, 358x272) Image search: [Google]
1439298874103.png
124 KB, 358x272
>>54510282
>Windows OSs will always be superior to MAC OSs because of software support
Maybe you should try actually reading my post, bud.

Windows is the only joke of an OS on the planet that doesn't have proper support of *nix utilities like openssh and shit like that.

That, and 99% of the time, with most professional software such as Adobe shit that has both a Windows and an OSX version, the OSX version will be better with the Windows version an afterthought.

More games doesn't count as "better software support" Please go back to /v/ or fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>54510329
see >>54510325
>>
Basically use a mac if you're a homosexual or a woman. Else use windows.
>>
>>54510345
>believe me I know
I've used OS X for so many years. The OS X alternatives have always been more user friendly and consistent with the OS.

>you can only get work done on Windows
This is just plain wrong. OS X can also get your work done, it's even better at it in most cases. For example, if you have a document open, on OS X you don't have to close before you can move it or rename it in your file browser.
>>
>>54510376
>on OS X you don't have to close before you can move it or rename it in your file browser.
I like OSX too, but I just want to note that Windows is *THE ONLY* OS that you can't do this on.
>>
>>54510368
This. My gay cousin uses a mac, everyone else uses a windows laptop.
>>
>>54510368
Not this. All gay people I've met are (were) huge Microsoft fanboys.
>>
>>54510368
Pretty much this. Only people I see using macs are fags and college girls.
>>
>>54510241
>>OSX Pros
>- Unix based, so you have access to all the core *nix utilities
and 99% of mac users will never use them.

>- No ads built into the OS
windows 7 has no ads.

>- No forced updates (and Apple's update servers will actually max your download speed, so updates are painless anyway)
windows 7 has no forced updates.

>-Still have access to professional software like Adobe shit and all that kind of stuff
so this actually isn't a point for either side. nice shilling.

>- Better user interface. OSX has more sane keyboard shortcuts than Windows, Finder is better the File Explorer, Spotlight is better than Windows search, etc
>- Prettier OS
unless you can find me objective tests for Finder vs File Explorer and Spotlight vs Windows Search, this is entirely subjective. "prettier" OS is entirely subjective.
>>
>>54510593
File Explorer in Windows 7 (even 10) is way behind compared to the features Finder has to offer.
>>
Let's talk about girls.

There is Window, she's not very pretty but usually puts on a lot make up, so you won't notice. She's not very smart but mostly does whatever you want. When there is a problem, she's being a huge bitch and goes all "Something happened". Window doesn't care about how much you earn and pushes herself on you all the time. She knows how to have fun better than most girls and got enough know how to help your with productive work too. There is also a matter that she tells everything about you to her friends in the government, and sometimes does whatever she wants.

There is also Mac, she's gorgeous but won't even look at you, if you're a poorfag and don't have the right car. Once you're together, she's low maintenance and always there for you. You can't change much about her and sometimes are forced to do things her way. Mac isn't as much about fun and games like Window but on the other hand, she's very supportive when you have to do real work and never annoys you. She's also very reliable and unlikely to have any problems. The downside is that she has tons of gay friends and wants you to hang with them from time to time.

Then there is also Loonix, she's the ugly nerdy girl. Sometimes she tries to put nice clothes on but it's useless because she's a fucking landwhale/penguin. She's very easy to impress, no matter how much money you have. At start the relationship is awkward and complicated but once you invested enough time, she does everything you want from her. She's not too much into games or productivity unless drunk on WINE. Because she's a nerdy loner, she has no friends and won't share your personal details with anybody. Since she's a mental wreck deep down, sometimes you have to deal with issues and talk to people from her support group, most are neckbeards.

Who's your pick?
>>
>>54510593
>prettier" OS is entirely subjective.
Having unified interface for EVERY program you run sounds like objectively better. Same with having a consistent UI and not a mess like Windows.
>>
>>54510627
Please, link an objective review.
>>
>>54510798
>file tagging
>preview
>good drag and drop functionality (this, especially for file pickers, goes to the file instead of moving the file)
>renaming multiple items is better done, more functionality
>uses paths with forward slashes
>easily change file icons
>can connect with windows file sharing protocol servers
>airdrop
>no stupid alphabetical volume mount points
>comes with a lot of keyboard shortcuts that are consistent with other apps
>right click the window title to show above/parent folders
>…
>>
>>54510593
>and 99% of mac users will never use them.
That's beside the point. The argument is that OSX has software support that isn't available to the same extent on Windows.

>windows 7 has no ads.
>windows 7 has no forced updates.
Windows 7 also doesn't get updates for new features, such as really important ones such as new versions of DirectX. More importantly, if you run updates on Windows 7 (which you should for security updates), you will inadvertently get the GWX adware on your system.

>>-Still have access to professional software like Adobe shit and all that kind of stuff
>so this actually isn't a point for either side. nice shilling.
The point is that you have access to *nix utilities, like on Linux, but *also* you get professionally supported software, as if you were on Windows.
>>
>>54510641
>The downside is that she has tons of gay friends and wants you to hang with them from time to time.
how is that a downside?
>>
>>54510354

Sorry champ, I use OS X on a daily basis because of the aforementioned unix utils, but Asobe software tends to suck cock on the mac and is better on the PC. With that said, the independent software that is available for the Mac is traditionally far superior to similar offerings on windows.
>>
>>54511924
This. The gay friends will never even dare to touch her.
>>
>>54512039
>adobe tends to suck cock on mac
The contrary for me. For example in Photoshop, when using a drawing tablet or, when using alt, cmd, shift and such, the way for example moving or altering the size of an object, I have an easier time since it shares those with other apps in OS X, even when resizing a window it uses these same modifier keys.
>>
>>54512039
>but Asobe software tends to suck cock on the mac and is better on the PC.
anon are you high? I use Illustrator all the time and the keybindings in OSX are infinitely more sane than the ones on windows; it feels like on Windows they were jest trying to work around what's already taken up by the OS in Windows.
>>
>>54512044
I meant that I'd rather get with her gay friends instead :^)

Unless she's gay, of course.
>>
>>54511924
Not everybody wants to be surrounded by faggots. Although I guess it's preferable to autists/pedos in Loonix' support group and children/office drones Window hangs with.

>>54512039
Not using it personally but my sis who has to work with Adobe shit sure prefers the OSX versions, mostly because of shortcuts.
>>
>>54511839
>Windows 7 also doesn't get updates for new features, such as really important ones such as new versions of DirectX. More importantly, if you run updates on Windows 7 (which you should for security updates), you will inadvertently get the GWX adware on your system.
Dx12 is a dead API already. Vulkan has 100% compatibility and performs the same.
You only get GWX if you don't filter your updates.
>>
>>54512163
>You only get GWX if you don't filter your updates.
Why the fuck would I do that when I can just use an OS that isn't a joke and doesn't try to blatantly disrespect me by trying to shove ads in my face.
>>
>>54510241
>the more expensive Apple boxes are at least a little bit better built usually
Aren't Macbooks notorious for running hot when doing performance intensive stuff because Apple can't into airflow?
>>
>>54512201
I said a little bit. They're definitely not the best in every case, and there are some better built computers out there.

The average consumer craptop is even worse, though, and will much sooner fall apart into a complete mess.
>>
I might try to build a hackintosh some day. I don't mind OSX but I refuse to buy Apple hardware, I like choosing my own components too much, plus I don't like the idea that they'll just trash everything and give you a new machine instead of fixing hardware problems. I just hate Apple's general philosophy towards technology.
>>
>>54510952
Add in:
>smart folders
>>
Windows got software compatibility going for it. There are a shitton of obscure little programs I've used that have no OS X alternative
>>
>>54512741
Could you give examples? OSX has tons of shit out of the box that Windows needs programs for.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.