[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you can even run graphical applications through Ubuntu o
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: windows10-ubuntu.png (31 KB, 728x380) Image search: [Google]
windows10-ubuntu.png
31 KB, 728x380
>you can even run graphical applications through Ubuntu on Windows 10

https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/WinCoder/XMING--Bash-on-Ubuntu-on-Windows--X11-Window-System-Running-from-Windows10-Subsystem-for-Linux

*nix neets on fucking suicide watch
>>
>>54507401
desu im just looking forward to having wget and scp without special shit
>>
>>54507404
And yet you won't use them when you do get them, If you had a need for them you would have learnt the built-in Windows equivalents.
>>
>>54507646
there is built-in windows scp equivalent?
>>
>>54507401
Nice try prajeet, it doesn't even work half the time. Also Linux is moving to Wayland your meme port is irrelevant.

I'll stick to 7 untill support runs out. Already getting used to *nix these days. Fuck off with your botshit OS
>>
>>54507684
nope, that anon is retardo
>>
>>54507684
$pssession = New-PSSession -ComputerName gdoesntknowshitaboutwindows

Copy-Item C:iftheydidtheywouldbesurprised.txt -Destination 'C:' -ToSession $pssession
>>
>>54507731
how does it help me copy files to my bsd server?
>>
>>54507767
Just ignore OP, he doesn't know what he's talking about
>>
>>54507767
You install pash or DSC on your BSD server.
>>
>>54507404
>without special shit
>install entire ubuntu subsystem
>this somehow isn't "special shit"
It's like you think it's automatically included with the operating system.
>>
>>54507401

The fact that Microsoft could not have been arsed to port X11 or maintain their own port and needing you to download third party ones to get graphical applications working on their Linux subsystem just highlights how much stuff they still have to do.

I just wish they went and made their POSIX subsystem available again. The damning facet of the whole Linux subsystem can be seen from this part of the blog post at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/04/22/windows-subsystem-for-linux-overview/

>As part of Project Drawbridge, the Windows kernel introduced the concept of Pico processes and Pico drivers. Pico processes are OS processes without the trappings of OS services associated with subystems like a Win32 Process Environment Block (PEB). Furthermore, for a Pico process, system calls and user mode exceptions are dispatched to a paired driver.

>Pico processes and drivers provide the foundation for the Windows Subsystem for Linux. The subsystem is able to run native unmodified Linux code by loading a binary executable into the process’s address space and emulating the underlying Linux kernel.

Which means that without this stuff, you can't have Linux subsystem stuff interoperate with Win32 stuff. Unless they go and rewrite their whole system. Or better yet, just modernize and make their POSIX subsystem better.
>>
*nix neets are on suicide watch 100% of the time because they're friendless weebs
>>
>>54507823
>I just wish they went and made their POSIX subsystem available again

Why? nobody used it.
>>
>>54507401
looking forward to uninstalling cygwin and no longer needing to dual boot.
>>
>>54507799
it is tho, you just type "bash" and it enables the feature and dl's ubuntu and then you're good to go
>>
File: Laugh-Meme-05.jpg (55 KB, 991x902) Image search: [Google]
Laugh-Meme-05.jpg
55 KB, 991x902
>>54507844
>>
>>54507895
>dl's ubuntu
>included in the OS
Brah.
>>
>>54507914
as in it's not some weird fucking project on sourceforge that bundles malware, it's actual linux sys calls running on actual windows, as a feature actually developed by microsoft.

it's like choosing name brand instead of some value shit
>>
>>54507929
Yeah, and the NFS client for Windows corporate was some sourceforge project until Windows bought it. I'm sure you'd consider that "part of Windows" since it appears in the add/remove features list.
>>
>>54507849

US government agencies did. But it was never advertised well. Even to the point that not even people in Microsoft.

https://medium.com/@stephenrwalli/running-linux-apps-on-windows-and-other-stupid-human-tricks-part-i-acbf5a474532

https://medium.com/@stephenrwalli/running-linux-apps-on-windows-and-other-stupid-human-tricks-part-ii-c244b2ee535

Pretty sad story overall with the whole subsystem and everything. Microsoft was certainly kind of delusional thinking that people would just port from *nix to Windows all the big projects rather than just running Linux.
>>
File: PPKhKZt.jpg (28 KB, 518x402) Image search: [Google]
PPKhKZt.jpg
28 KB, 518x402
>ubuntu on windows 10

what?
>>
>>54507999
next big update for windows 10 includes an "ubuntu subsystem" for windows

pretty much WINE in reverse, lets you use apt-get, full bash, and pretty much run any *nix program natively on windows.
>>
>>54507844
Kek
>>
File: 1456689376311.png (299 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1456689376311.png
299 KB, 500x375
>>54507844
>>54507907
>>54508168
>Prajeet working hard to reach his weekend selling goals

How many shitcoins do they pay you again? 5?
>>
DELETE

THIS
>>
File: xfce.png (386 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
xfce.png
386 KB, 1920x1080
>Not running xfce on windows 10
>>
>>54508226
How do?
>>
>>54508298
Cygwin, It's a useless placebo, you can't replace the resource hogging winmeme explorer
>>
How is x11 forwarding new?
>>
>>54508201
>>Prajeet working hard to reach his weekend selling goals
Excuse me, but it's not about selling.
We're trying to trick you into at least pirating Windows 10 ISO and only then it's about selling your personal data.

t. Mithun "Pajeet" Chakraborty
>>
>xmin + putty

What's the fucking difference? Also no normies are going to give a fuck it even know what it means.
>>
>>54507401
>microsoft announced built-in android compatibility
>decides "LOLNO WE DONT NEED YOU GIVING GOOGLE MONEY"
>"H-hey guys, w-w-we have bash!"

Daily reminder that Microsoft thinks Linux is:
1. Violating Microsoft's "patents"
2. Cancer
3. Unamerican (Terrorism / Communism)

Microsoft has all the grace of a multibillion dollar corporation who's market is being threatened by their own inability to change. So they threaten random smaller people with bullshit legal action to try and scare them, and then steal all of their ideas. kek.

I bet OP shilled for Internet Explorer too!
Reminder to pirate Windows so it costs the same as Linux
>>
>>54508503
Linux is pretty communist though.
>>
>>54508503
>microsoft announced built-in android compatibility
When did this happen?
>>
>>54508550
http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/223684-microsoft-cancels-effort-to-run-android-software-on-windows-mobile-focuses-on-ios-compatibility

It went as quickly as it came
>>
>>54508503
It does, Android too, and every companies lawyers know they're right.

That's why Google doesn't even dare challenge them on Android patents and hides behind 3rd party manufacturers.
>>
>>54508578
Yeah, looks like they jumped the gate on that one.

I suspect they're going to work it into the UWP converter like they did with Win32 applications, if they decide to pursue it again.

For what it's worth, Xamarin is free (freedom and beer) now, so development for Android/iOS is pretty damn easy.
>>
One day

One day we will have our gnome 3 desktop with decent a decent font rendering on w10
>>
>>54507401
>X11
>A good thing
nice try pajeet
>>
>>54507690
Nice try Linux shill.
>>
>>54507401
again, fix your fucking font rendering, M$
>>
>>54508201
t. Lincux shill who
>DOES
>IT
>FOR
>FREE
>>
>>54509450
fuck off my board you cumstain
>>
>>54507844
rude post
delet
>>
>>54507401
>*nix neets on suicide watch
I use GNU/Linux for two reasons
My freedoms are respected (This does not apply to Microsoft Windows) And i like a traditional UNIX environment.

Windows offers neither of these things. Why would i use it?

Windows violates my freedoms and my privacy, why would i use it?

I'd advise you to watch this video by Mr Richard Stallman
https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/short--undated--rms--free-software-four-freedoms.ogv
>>
>>54507844

This is my life now
>>
>>54507401
You can also run unbuntu all by itself. No wincancer required.
Pajeet on suicide watch.
>>
File: cl.jpg (12 KB, 195x245) Image search: [Google]
cl.jpg
12 KB, 195x245
I use GNU/Linux Trisquel. I enjoy a unix environment and working in it. Package management is easy breezy and it's fun to tinker and have fun on.

Working on learning common lisp on it now.
>>
Mixing garbage together does not make art
>>
>>54510749
>Thinking 5 rupees is """"payment""""
Prajeet your 5 rupees are worthless outside your shithole

>>54512105
>>54512165
>More samefagging

Is that all prajeets can do?
>>
I've already been able to run "*nix on Windows" for years now. It's called virtualbox. The truth is however that it includes a truckload of overhead and will inevitably run like fucking crap.
>>
>>54507731
>>54507798
>>54507404
And yet he won't use that when he installs it, If he had a need for them he would have used the common *nix implementation
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.