[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Exam question >Who invented linux >Richard Stallman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
>Exam question
>Who invented linux
>Richard Stallman is one answer
>Linus Fuckvald is another
>Pick the obvious choice
>Get it back
>Correct answer was Linus
FUCKING SHITS STEALING THE FAME AND GLORY FROM THE ONE TRUE CREATOR
>>
linux is a kernel
guess who wrote it
>>
>>54506745
FUCK
YOU
>>
>>54506724
Linus wrote linux, you stupid freetard.
>>
>>54506724
linus.. why's that hard?
>>
>no linux system has ever run w/o gnu core utils
>linux can only be compiled in gcc

hurr durr its linux not gnu/linux!!!!1
>>
>>54506781
FUCKING THANK YOU
>>
>>54506781
>what is android
>>
Why are freetards always getting mad over dumb shit?
Most winfags don't even care what version of windows they're using, as long as it plays their vidya. Let alone caring about who made it.
>>
>>54506724
>>54506756
bait
>>54506745
>>54506764
>>54506769
>>54506781
stupid fish
>>
>>54506781
LLVM can compile it.
checkmate
>>
>>54506781
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Thanks for listening.
>>
>>54506724
I wish Linus was my dad
>>
>>54506884
>Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?
Literally fallacies presented as """"arguments"""".
Still GNU/Linux for me.
>>
>>54506922
>it's a "gent[le]sir finds a """fallacy""" and ignores the rest, thereby committing a fallcy" episode
>>
>>54506948
The rest is still authority fallacy.
>>
>>54506948
i want a bacon double cheeseburger
>>
>>54506922
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'.

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system.

By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer.

That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument.
>Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever.

Freetards blown the fuck out

Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Thanks for listening
>>
>>54506724
Linus wrote the Linux kernel and RMS was writing the GNU operating system
>>
>>54506950
>appeal to authority, is a common argument form which can be fallacious, such as when an authority is cited on a topic outside their area of expertise, when the authority cited is not a true expert or if the cited authority is stating a contentious or controversial position
whoops
>>
>>54506964
By RMS's own admission GNU on its own is not a complete operating system
>>
>>54506724
how does your turbo/autism feel?
>>
>>54506964
seriously, are you really this stupid?
>>
>>54506979
Yes, if you are not using the GNU kernel it's not a complete operating system
>>
>>54506781
Retard there is not just gcc
>>
>>54506964
Linus wrote the linux kernel, RMS wrote a few GNU branded programs. Other people wrote others, without stallman's personal involvement. For fucks sakes, stallman didn't even write the original emacs, or the original UNIX emacs, and most of the code in the modern emacs isn't stallmans! He's a figurehead!

Also, the typical linux distro only uses a portion of the GNU operating system, and a good third of the essential software is made by freedesktop, redhat, poettering, and independents. When you say "GNU/Linux" i think of the most basic possible installation of pre-systemd debian with bash as /bin/sh instead of dash.
>>
>essential software
>pottering

confirmed for being a fucking faggot, go learn a thing or two about Linux kiddo
>>
>>54506781
1: It's been done, multiple times. GNU coreutils aren't the core OS anymore anyways. They used to be when init was nothing but a collection of shell scripts, but not anymore. You never had to use shell scripts in the first place, so if you want to get really technical, they never were. It was always just init/linux and happened to use GNU.
2: They're working on it. But that doesn't make linux GNU at all. At fucking all.
>>
>>54507063
>sound subsystem:
>kernel infrastructure + poettering userspace
>the one and only program you need to have to run linux as a multitasking OS:
>poettering
>^also power management and networking
>device management
>kay sievers

i hereby declare this OS

GNU/Faggots/Linux
>>
oh just fuck off
>>
I guess all programs compiled with gcc were "invented" by Stallman then.
>>
>>54507491
Yeah that's what they think. Also I don't get why /g/ faggots craving for RMS's cock so much. He is just a shitty programmer.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.