[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people still use this while inventor exists?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
File: autocad-logo.jpg (45 KB, 1260x1136) Image search: [Google]
autocad-logo.jpg
45 KB, 1260x1136
Why do people still use this while inventor exists?
>>
>>54502956
Why are you using proprietary software?
>>
>>54502956
because some people still made 2D drawings and documents

3D -> Inventor
2D -> AutoCAD

I don't know why people don't get this

It's like asking "why use
Photoshop/Illustrator when you could use Maya"
>>
>>54502983
Like I have a choice.
>>
>>54503016
There are open source alternatives, you know.
>>
>>54503014
Inventor does nearly everything AutoCAD does more efficiently, including 2d drawings if you're not lazy.
>>
Use Blender for everything and be a true freefag
>inb4: autism
>>
>>54502956
Because tablets and pucks are still a thing, and I do most of my drawings using commands and not menus.
>>
>>54503073
>Inventor does nearly everything AutoCAD does more efficiently, including 2d drawings if you're not lazy.

Alright I know this is already a troll thread but regardless

Inventor is NOT an autocad competitor for 2D CAD and design. Inventor can make 2D prints of 3D parts in an orthogonal view, and annotate those prints with sketches - and that's all.

Non-babby AutoCAD users use the command line, its the only way to be proficient at user speed. Inventor doesn't even HAVE a command-line, and even adding one with access to 100% of inventor's features wouldn't give it the capabilities of autoCAD's.

AutoCAD's file formats, .DWG/.DXF, are direct ASCII or binary representations of the command line inputs which make up your drawing. That means anything you draw on the screen with pleb GUI tools, measure, annotate, reference, etc is simply a MACRO producing command-line output directly to the file. Inventor has no such capability, its file formats are proprietary binary blobs about as far from standard as you can get.
>>
>>54502956

I had to use AutoCAD for 3D, it felt like a bolted on feature.
>>
>>54503035
Such as?
>>
File: muhshed.jpg (779 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
muhshed.jpg
779 KB, 1920x1080
What's the best cad software?
I know how to use inventor, have solid works and rhino. I use blender for freeform stuff that I don't need measurements from. Sketchup isn't really good at either.

Pic related is blender
>>
>>54504978
SolidWorks is pretty unbeatable

Rhino and Blender are not CAD
>>
>>54505016
I'm making a cnc engraver/plotter (then eventually cutter), how's solid works for making g-code?
>>
>>54504978
nice cuckshed anon
>>
>>54505045
>how's solid works for making g-code?
it does not.

You will need software like MasterCam, vCarve, etc to make g-code from a 3D model, and its not something that's done automatically either. Lots of user input at every stage.
>>
>>54504978
Well I just finished learning Autocad and now I want to move on to more 3d stuff. Should I go solidworks or Inventor?
>>
>>54505519
The learning curve is higher for solid works. Depends what you want to do with it, solidworks has some pretty good physics and motion testing.
>>
>>54505540
>The learning curve is higher for solid works.
I think YMMV

I went into 3D CAD knowing only basic AutoCAD (2d and 3d) and Solidworks felt much more intuitive. I think they have a UI design and workflow that makes a lot more sense from the perspective of my prior experience.

I think the right answer is "try both, pick either"
>>
File: 9875.jpg (24 KB, 645x579) Image search: [Google]
9875.jpg
24 KB, 645x579
>>54505594
>>54505540
Well, just did a tutorial then, it's not much different than inventor. The inbuilt tutorials are the best.
>>
File: 0234938.jpg (480 KB, 1837x912) Image search: [Google]
0234938.jpg
480 KB, 1837x912
>>54505989
How do I make threads in this? I assume there's a tool for it and you don't have to model the geometry
>>
File: a.png (87 KB, 977x976) Image search: [Google]
a.png
87 KB, 977x976
>>54507087
use the hole wizard to make a tapped hole
the thread will appear as a texture, which is enough for typical engineering purposes (will give you proper callouts in 2D)
>>
File: a.png (147 KB, 1020x1424) Image search: [Google]
a.png
147 KB, 1020x1424
>>54507382
>>54507087
to make an arbitrary 3d one (like if you were making something to 3d print), then use a helix and sweep
helix is at features > curves > helix and spiral
draw the helix, draw the thread profile at one end of the helix, and sweep it along the helix path
>>
>>54505183
>>54505045
solidcam lad
>>
Honestly DO NOT use autocad, find any other program, god damn blender is better, autocad is one of the worst out there
>>
>>54504978
I love NX 10, but SW has the best UI hands down.
>>
>>54503676
librecad
>>
>>54504978
If you're on the cheap, solid edge is good enough. Used mine to do make some hinges and screws for generic auto parts factory
>>
File: 1463002904882.gif (700 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1463002904882.gif
700 KB, 480x270
>>54502956
what's the difference between Fusion360 and inventor?
>>
File: 1462644584706.jpg (24 KB, 277x296) Image search: [Google]
1462644584706.jpg
24 KB, 277x296
>>54507875
>I don't know what I'm talking about: the post
>>
Why do people use Inventor when Catia exists?
>>
>>54509878

AutoCAD is garbage for 3D. They pushed it hard about a decade ago. But once people realized it was shit they sortof gave up and keep legacy support for the poor souls that were suckered in.

>>54509894

>Why do people use Inventor when Catia exists?

Because it's like forty grand a seat.
>>
>>54502956
>Using Autodesk products
Only company that I dislike more than Adobe.
Solidworks and Catia are way better.
Even Siemens NX is better.
I installed AutoCAD on my personal laptop once. Not doing that ever again.
>>
File: 1382689957292.png (99 KB, 300x343) Image search: [Google]
1382689957292.png
99 KB, 300x343
>>54510271
>he doesn't know what autocad is for
>>
>>54510406
>he doesn't know what autocad is for

From the perspective of an architect, that's exactly what happened. They tried to push Architectural Desktop for a few brief years in the mid-2000's until they gave up and bought Revit.

And compared to its competition, ACAD has always been clunky and unintuitive for 3D.
>>
Anyone who recommends open-source alternatives to Autocad has never ever used Autocad.
>>
People that don't know that mechanical modeling != 3D modeling : the thread.

Also Autocad IS shit, but performance wise not feature wise.
>>
>>54507875

a MASSIVE proportion of architectural drafting is 2D. by which i mean not a single shes of it in my experience is 3D. & theres this brand new thing lots of people are getting into, from multibillion dollar corporations to individual people- its really taking the world by storm, actually.

its called 'building'

when waste management starts using 3D build plans for its stupefyingly vast array of nat gas fueling stations, LEED gold solid waste transfer stations & landfill sites, & automated biowaste incinerators, then you can spout your shitty, useless opinion & itll have some shred of relevance.

>>54510702
yeah, but see, one you get used it, you barely notice yourself trying not to notice it for hours on end.

its really not terrible though
>>
>>54510339
NX is good really good (FEM) but the price tag is just to much.
Havent used catia for a very long time. Like 8 years long) Cant coment on how that is.

>>54502956
I use both
ACAD for drawing balcony, stairs feces. It is just way easier and quicker to draw a blue print of stairs fence in 2d then it is to model every thing in 3d and then making a 2d drawing out of it.
At home I use inventor for modeling and 3d printing things.
>>
>>54510794
>its really not terrible though

It may not be as bad as people claim. But it's still something you tolerate. You don't fire up AutoCAD with any sense of excitement. You endure it.

Though part of this is also how little Autodesk has done to innovate for so long. For a while all they did was buy innovative competitors while letting their core products languish. AutoCAD hasn't changed appreciably in over a decade. And maybe it doesn't need to. But charging thousands of dollars for yearly "updates" while deliberately obsoleting their file formats every three years is proof enough that they're abusing their monopoly position in the market.
>>
>>54513415

on absolutely they are. they totally are. & youre right, you tolerate it, knowing there are a dozen other ways to fix a bunch of things that would make their products a whole lot better.

the ONLY great, really great feature is the command line function. my dads been drafting/surveying for about three hundred years now, & he can bust out drawings like a champ. to put this in perspective, this is the same guy who cant figure out the same remote weve owned for ten years. once you get the hang of it, youve got it. & new kids like me who play starcraft or whatever & are actually good at repetitive keystrokes are naturals.

alright, here's one:

how could autodesk make autoCAD objectively better?

hardmode for the real autists here- say something OTHER than 'perfect 3D modeling'
>>
>>54509428
>"libre" in the title
That sounds like GNU cancer, I don't even need to look into it any further to know it will be utterly half-assed
>>
guys what do you find so terrible on ACAD?
For a 2D drawings I find it superb. Really once you learn shortcuts and the command line it shit just flies.

>>54510702
>Also Autocad IS shit, but performance wise not feature wise

What do you mean by performance is shit?
>>
>all these cs dropouts pretending to know what they're talking about
Back to vim vs emacs discussion with you.
>>
>>54503014

>3D

Try Rhino.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.