[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much equity should a Junior Developer (1 yr relevant experience)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1448858752919.jpg (43 KB, 402x480) Image search: [Google]
1448858752919.jpg
43 KB, 402x480
How much equity should a Junior Developer (1 yr relevant experience) expect from a seed stage startup in NYC?

I understand that this is very subjective but I'm looking for a range. I don't really have anyone to ask for advice on this so I'm asking you guys. I'd be the 4th engineer.
>>
0%

you are a code monkey, easily replaceable by pajeet
>>
Quarter of a point. You're just gonna be doing the bullshit no one else has time for
>>
>>54503482
Thats about what the offer is. I'm going to be the 4th engineer. They're super legit, its not just some stanford butthole that thinks hes entitled to his own company, the guy is a vet. We'll see. It seems about fair for someone in my position.

Thanks for the feedback
>>
Depends on salary also
>>
>>54504667
>the guy is a vet.
doesn't mean anything anon, the two worst companies I ever worked for were vet-owned

vets have life experience of having a structure, safety net, pension, following around their whole life. it's very different from hypercapitalist startup culture where everyone is in debt from day one.

food from commissaries, orders from superiors, equipment from supplies. decisions made for you 100% of the way, add up to what might be a disaster of culture shock
>>
>>54504749
Sorry I actually meant start-up vet. This would be his 3rd, the other 2 being pretty successful. (He is tech tho, not a suit by a long-shot)

The way I see it, I'm at ground floor. Seed level. I'm getting a pay raise from my previous gig and the last one was so fucking huge that equity ran out in the 1900s, so the equity thing is very new to me.

I'm 22 and without debt. Would you say it's a worthy risk? I feel like I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain here.

Do you regret your time at the small companies?
>>
>>54501247
This isn't technology, bitch
>>
>>54504847
well all i can find on b are feminine penises
>>
>>54504808
Lemme help you weigh the pros and cons here, I'm kinda in the same situation as you and have been thinking about it for a while. I've also interned with a small startup for a year so I'm throwing in my two cents.

Small companies are more flexible to a changing economic environment, which means your ideas have a better chance of making it into the end product. You will also get more exposure to the daily decisions made in the office about budgeting, marketing, negotiations with customers, all of which can help you learn more about how to deal with business decisions. That being said, you may be left to learn a lot of stuff on your own since those who know what they're doing will be too busy trying to keep the lights on. In some cases you might even be the most technically savvy person there, if the company isn't entirely software-related. There's also the potential lack of benefits, structure, and job security.

Bigger companies will have a lot of perks that the startup lacks, such as peer code reviews and mobility within the company to try out all types of different projects. Hours will also be more stable, benefits are almost guaranteed, and salary is usually competitive. Having hundreds of developers under one roof, you're almost guaranteed to find somebody with more knowledge than you who can help you become a better developer. While many have made attempts to move over to agile, having so many developers in the company means they need the accountability that comes with waterfall-type methodologies. You'll also be closed off from the business side of things, which some people prefer but you'll find it harder to jump into the startup world if you've never been exposed to that type of thing.
>>
Of its not 5% then you're a retard
>>
>>>/biz/
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.