[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is skeuomorphism bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
>>
It's tacky and just looks bad.
>>
>>54489739
It was needed as in people would get confused if they didn't see comparisons with real life objects. It also made it so graphical designers had to spend hours if not days on a single interface that made skeuomorphism logical and realistic. Now that everyone pretty much understands interfaces, it's way better to declutter everything and make things simple but still pretty and user friendly.
>>
>>54489750
Does it assist in faster object recognition/recall?
>>
>>54489739
I wouldn't say bad. Just looks dated since it is something of the past. You'll see the difference when you compare it to today's GUI designs
>>
it's not always bad

but you need to decouple nostalgia from functionality

sometimes they work
>>
>>54489771
Do you think Steve Jobs would have abruptly ended skeuomorphism as quickly as Tim Cook and his employees did?
Skeuomorphism uses images to represent computational actions (eg: genie delete on mac, sound effects, etc). Do these interactions not assist in understanding what the computer is doing for those non-technical (non-versed in computer science)?
>>
>>54489873
Everything not current looks dated.
This pendulum swings ad nauseam.
>>
>>54489739
It looks terrible from a ui standpoint. Have you seen what LG used to do ? They had a notepad app with regular lines like a regular notepad. Yet you swipe up to see more notes but instead of the page flipping up, the words slid up and the paper underneath was basically a wallpaper. That's fucking terrible.

I'm glad we have material designto help guide developers but honestly i miss how hard designers really tried to make good looking objects. Like we have high res beautiful displays yet everything is so boring .. i wish there was more detail to everything and not be so boring.

Like a music player widget visually changing CD's and having a small equalizer underneath.

Yeah yeah i know maybe it sounds tacky and unneeded. But we have all this power in our phones and it's being wasted on boring simple ui menus. My.god.
>>
>>54490101
I was going to respond to this with more detail, but I'm a bit tired.
People don't like skeuomorphism because it's no longer a fad. Fads drive human interests and perceptions of value. You are all slaves to others' opinions and the fads they enact (I am too because I like accommodating differing opinions).

Skeuomorphism is terrible for productivity. I'm more productive using the command line than using any rudimentary GUI or any enhanced/skeuomorphic GUI.
My question was directed more toward the general population (aka the 'masses') utilization of technology. They would benefit greatly from pictorial (skeuomorphic) representation of technological concepts than persons like myself, who find scripts and the command line more efficient.
The question is the audience at stake.
>>
>>54490073
The animations still should be present for good user feedback but I don't believe the textures and such would be necessary.
>>
It isn't. It's just not fashionable at the moment.
>>
>>54490073
No. Steve Jobs vision most likely went far beyond of what he have accomplished with osx.

Everything this Cook faggot and his team of slimy fanboys did is producing memes.
>>
>>54489739
Because it's the current year.
>>
>>54490101

>They had a notepad app with regular lines like a regular notepad. Yet you swipe up to see more notes but instead of the page flipping up, the words slid up and the paper underneath was basically a wallpaper. That's fucking terrible.

That's great actually.

>>54490279
>Skeuomorphism is terrible for productivity

lol, deadly wrong again
>>
>>54489739
because i'm not a designer and am to cheap to pay for one.
>>
I wanted to get into this graphic design thing but everything I see is flat, flat and flat. Flat.
>>
literally one of the main reasons why I don't make music on a computer is because of all the skeumorphic interfaces in audio software. It sounds shallow and un-economical, but I would just feel miserable clicking and dragging fake knobs on a fake Moog.

So instead I stick with tape and old Yamahas.
>>
File: 22.jpg (139 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
139 KB, 500x400
I want gloss to come back
>>
>>54491286
I've worked with graphic designers all my life. Run away. Waiting, administrative services and any kind of manual labor pay up to double of what any run of the mill graphic designer earns.

Arts in general as a form of earning your bread are dead.
>>
>>54491545
Well, wouldn't that be logical?

Some of my friends are waiters and they look like they're about to blow their brains out at any second. Graphic design doesn't seem taxing enough to warrant being actually paid that much for it.
>>
>>54491243

That is so obnoxious, I loathe that meme.
>>
>>54491518
*ero
>>
>>54491518
more than aero, I want WPF/Silverlight to not die.

If Silverlight was open source and browsers came with a CLR, the world would be a better place.
>>
>>54491816
It's vile but was pretty much the only argument when apple ditched skeuomorphism for "le modern appearance"
>>
>>54491859
>I want WPF/Silverlight to not die.
i surly hope you jest.
>>
>>54489739
Skeuomorphism looks so dated now. Delicious flat interface for life.
>>
>>54489739
it's not. in fact it was awesome.

i can't stand the new shitty look of the ios.
>>
>>54491518
Vista had a well designed interface, but it looked like shit.
>>
>>54489739
looks dank. if IOS still looked like this, I might buy an iPhone again.

the transparent glass bullshit is for faggots.
>>
>>54489739
It's only bad if it's overdone.
Overdone skeumorphism is about as bad as overdone flat UI's are.
>>
File: mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.3u2.jpg (35 KB, 443x550) Image search: [Google]
mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.3u2.jpg
35 KB, 443x550
>>54491837
no, gloss
>>
>>54489739
Pynchon, DFW, Heller

Hi /lit/
>>
>>54491518
I don't. I've always changed my themes to look as close to a flat design since windows xp. Now that it is the norm I hope it sticks around forever in some form.
>>
Down with skeuomorphism and flat design. Bring back pseudo 3D solid color rectangles. Death to gloss, death to pastel.
>>
>>54489739
It's not.

Hating it is the latest meme.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.