[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's a nice night. What direct Unix descendent are you using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: unix.jpg (196 KB, 1022x519) Image search: [Google]
unix.jpg
196 KB, 1022x519
It's a nice night. What direct Unix descendent are you using lately?
I've been on OpenBSD for a few months, it's comfy.
>>
>>54489289
OS X the only Unix designed for the desktop.
>>
>It's a nice night
But it's morning
>>
>>54489398
Any Unix with X11 has a desktop.
But no Unix was designed to have a desktop, since Unix was designed decades ago. Some operating systems have been designed to have a desktop, but Unix is not one of them.
>>54489414
If you disable the native extension, you'll find that it is in fact night in 4chan's time zone.
>>
>>54489289
IRIX and Solaris.

I need to get a real job so I can afford some real hardware for the latter.
>>
I tried to install FreeBSD but i couldn't get wifi to work with wpa_supplicant.

So I went back to xubuntu
>>
>>54489674
did you read the handbook?
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html
>>
>>54489398
I'm trying to reinstall a new hard drive for my brothers old Macbook (before Internet recovery) and I want to kill myself. It need just over what my 16gb USB stick actually has for storage (like 15.25) just for a fucking recovery disk Jesus Christ
>>
>>54489661
Neat. I've never used MIPS before. What are you running IRIX on, and how is it?
And agreed, it's pretty difficult and expensive to get hardware that's not IBM PC clone or otherwise Intel.
>>
>>54489690
yes and I edited the rc.conf accordingly, except instead of ath0, i used iwn0 because that's what it was listed under using ifconfig.

I don't have time to play games with my OS.
>>
>>54489767
And did it work? I've never owned a laptop, so I don't know how wifi works with computers. The OpenBSD developers all use thinkpads though, so I'm sure they know how to use wifi.
>>
>>54489953
just comparing the setup process, openbsd already seems less painful
>>
>>54489964
The installations for both are okay. I prefer the OpenBSD install since it doesn't use curses.
>>
>>54490423
well i was more talking about how to set up wi-fi networks, but its true that the openbsd installer itself is simpler
>>
File: oystercatcher.gif (2 KB, 90x71) Image search: [Google]
oystercatcher.gif
2 KB, 90x71
>>54490429
Makes sense. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>54489767
>I don't have time to play games with my OS.
Yeah, gotta go for maximum uptime so as to not to suffer a dip in shitposting productivity on 4chan.
>>
FreeBSD because it's traditional to me. I'm not duel booting though. I just have it in my virtual lab inside of Gentoo.
>>
>>54489674
You know, FreeBSD does have some limited wifi support. Might want to make sure you're supported.
>>
>>54491931
good choice, that's how the developers run it too
>>
I installed OpenBSD on an extra ThinkPad but I'm having performance issues. I can't even play YouTube videos as they constantly freeze. Something I didn't configure right? I installed [spoiler]gnome[/spoiler]
>>
>>54492205
INNOVASHUN!
>>
>>54489398
OS X is as Unix as furries are real dogs.
>>
>>54490450
What's up with this picture?
>>
>>54492364
>furries are real dogs
ok
>>
>>54492401
No they aren't, even if they would try to force you to think like that and pass a law saying you must call them dogs now. It still wouldn't actually change anything underneath.
>>
>>54492502
>inane ramblings
>>
>>54492502
>No they aren't
Make up your mind, faggot!
>>
>>54492589
>Not being able to read and somehow browses 4chan
>>
>>54492640
>furries are dogs
>no they aren't
m8...
>>
>>54489398
>OS X
>desktop
>>
File: 1461568872365.jpg (24 KB, 375x281) Image search: [Google]
1461568872365.jpg
24 KB, 375x281
>>54492705
>>
>>54492751
You're not able to read? What are you doing here then?
>>
File: 1440715419837.jpg (37 KB, 300x263) Image search: [Google]
1440715419837.jpg
37 KB, 300x263
>>54492853
>>
>>54492853
m8, I'm not even the other guy, but here's what he's saying
>OSX is about as UNIX as furfags are dogs
Which means that OSX isn't UNIX, since furfags, as you said, aren't dogs.
You're retarded and need to learn how to read.
>>
>>54493169
>Which means that OSX isn't UNIX
but you're wrong, osx is unix, which means furfags are dogs according to you retards
>>
File: 1461392704526.png (68 KB, 507x832) Image search: [Google]
1461392704526.png
68 KB, 507x832
>>54493410
Feel free to call furries dogs, but they are only as dogs as OS X is Unix.
>>
>>54489289
OSX
>>
>>54493503
>personal opinion
ok; OSX is UNIX tho
>>
File: 1461186845237.png (36 KB, 509x470) Image search: [Google]
1461186845237.png
36 KB, 509x470
>>54493933
It's not, though
>>
>>54494278
>irrelevant screencap
you can't change facts, tho
>>
>>54494379
I wouldn't even want to, I'm just stating them for your convenience. You can thank me later.
>>
>>54494472
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xy.htm
you can go fuck yourself
>>
>>54494504
>le certificate meme
Doesn't change the fact that the actual code is a retarded hack, it just means they paid enough to bribe them.

>Also UNIX 03
>>54493503 picture said that it only matches it and does not care about the latest specifications. It's 2001 version which is 15 years ago.
>>
>>54494587
>actual code is a retarded hack
nobody said Unix code is not a hack
>paid enough to bribe them
OSX is UNIX, deal with it
>picture said
we already discarded "personal opinion" which renders your ramblings irrelevant
>>
File: Linus_Torvalds_HFS_rant.png (57 KB, 514x927) Image search: [Google]
Linus_Torvalds_HFS_rant.png
57 KB, 514x927
>>54494757
>nobody said Unix code is not a hack
The hacks in question have nothing to do with Unix, naturally. They are OS X specific hacks. Like putting together a Frankenstein monster from parts.
>OSX is UNIX, deal with it
It's not, though
>we already discarded "personal opinion" which renders your ramblings irrelevant
Irrelevant is a nice word. Very appropriate word to define Unix and OS X. Keep calling it that and maybe the actual system will somehow magically modify itself to not have hacks irrelevant to Unix itself. Why would you even want something that's allowed to be called something, but actually isn't, instead of the other option where it actually is what it claims to be? It's a system made out of code, if that code is not right then who gives a flying fuck what it's allowed to be called? Well I know who, people who need damage control to rationalize their purchase, and people who work for the company that makes the hacks. Which one are you? Don't tell me you're both, that sounds like a burden.
>>
>>54495113
>nothing to do with Unix
>OS X specific hacks
OSX is Unix
>appropriate word to define Unix and OS X
ok
>Keep calling it that
sure
>somehow magically modify itself to not have hacks
why would I care?
>but actually isn't
it is tho, you were proven this
>the other option where it actually is what it claims to be
what other option? what does it claim to be?
>rationalize their purchase
what purchase? what the fuck are you talking about?
>work for the company
I don't work for any company
seems you have a problem with the fact that OSX is Unix; would you like to use the word Unix for something else? too bad, it's not yours to decide what Unix is; call your other shit (that is not Unix) something else than Unix
>>
>arguing about Mac OS X
Regardless of what it can do at its full potential, most consumers have never opened Terminal before, and Apple discourages the standard consumer from doing so.
It doesn't behave like a Unix to the average consumer.
>>
>>54495373
Would you call a pig an elk if it would have antlers taped on? I wouldn't, but I guess you might, seen that you also call a taped together system Unix, even when it isn't. Even if the pig would have a certificate paper saying that this here is an elk, it still wouldn't actually change the genes of that pig. It would actually be a pig even if it would have one million certificates, because facts are not decided by people, they are facts even if no one on this planet would think like that. That's the beauty of them.

Feel free to call it whatever you want, but the actual system is not what your naming implies. It has several different systems merged together (like explained in images above) to create something else than what Unix was when OS X was created.
>>
>>54495881
>even when it isn't
it is tho, as proven; no amount of inane ramblings can change that
>images above
"personal opinions"
>>
>>54495921
>"personal opinions"
Can you pinpoint the part which was incorrect in the image that was "personal opinions"? No, of course you can't. While you're at it, try to do that at least in one of the other pictures.
>>
>>54495881
OS X is a UNIX. Most code is source compatible between Linux and OS X, assuming that the authors only use the standard stuff in POSIX.

Also, fallacy of analogy.
>>
>>54489289
>comfy
You spelled shitty wrong.
>>
>>54496086
(You)
>>
Rhapsody
Rhapsody (like NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP before it) uses a licensed version of BSD. This is to say, Rhapsody is using a pre-4.4BSD Lite version of BSD (where the restricted parts were removed). This limitation was one of the reasons that Apple created Darwin.

Darwin started out as the Rhapsody 5.2 kernel and then had all of the 4.3BSD and 4.4BSD (encumbered) elements removed and replaced with 4.4BSD Lite elements from FreeBSD (Rhapsody had already started using elements from OpenBSD and NetBSD). This is part of the reason why Apple could give away Darwin when it couldn't give away Rhapsody.

Also Rhapsody uses Display Postscript, which while it was co-developed by NeXT, is a product licensed to Apple by Adobe. Because Apple doesn't own this technology, they are not at liberty to give it away (same with NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP). And Adobe was planning on charging so much for Display Postscript per copy of Mac OS X that Apple decided to create Display PDF as a license free replacement.
>>
>>54495975
>all info said above is just my personal opinion
>all
>personal opinion
just fuck off
>>
Been using OpenBSD for a few years on my laptops and one of my desktops, just installed NetBSD on my server last night.
>>
>>54496464
OS X actually does use PDF? I thought it was still PostScript
>>
>>54496921
https://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=75257&cid=6734612
>>
OS X El Capitán tbch pham.
>>
>>54489398
>Unix
>designed
It wasn't designed. It just happened.
>>
>>54497202
>reading comprehension
>>
File: i2100.png (61 KB, 574x342) Image search: [Google]
i2100.png
61 KB, 574x342
>>54489748
Totally entry-spec Indigo2, probably from the first batch off the assembly line in '93, running dual 545MB disks. Good enough for untextured demos, Mathematica and occasionally X forwarding StarOffice from a Solaris host, but not really too much else. I got my hands on a 250 MHz Octane to replace it a few years back but it's dead and I don't really have the expertise to fix it.

IRIX is great though, probably one of the nicest and most user-friendly Unices I've ever used, definitely ahead of its time by quite a stretch, it feels very modern and is easy to configure.
>>
Im running wndows 10 eating on doom to release to the public
>>
Plan9 is great. Descended from Unix but quite different.
>>
>>54501793
Why do people use Plan 9 if Inferno was created as a successor of it?
>>
>>54502544
Inferno can't even boot by itself, can it?

And it has no cool desktop paradigms.
>>
>>54502661
Inferno can in fact run on bare metal. It can also run within another OS.
>>
>>54500109
Sweet.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.