[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
im thinking of buying a kindle, what do you think /g/? Im going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: kindle11.jpg (57 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
kindle11.jpg
57 KB, 630x354
im thinking of buying a kindle, what do you think /g/?

Im going to use it for reading before i sleep and/or when going by public transport.

paperwhite vs voyager? is it worth spending the 100$ extra?
>>
>>54488119
paperwhite is fantastic
voyage is a meme

don't let it access the internet or you'll get ads on the lockscreen.
>>
>>54488136
so use a usb and transfer from my laptop?
>>
>>54488119
bump
>>
>>54488250

so use a usb and transfer from my laptop?

yes. don't give it your wifi key, turn it on airplane mode
>>
>>54488829
>i can't even greentext properly
>>
File: Oh really.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Oh really.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>Not buying a kobo

Enjoy your draconian company that controls your device and once unironically removed 1984 from the library of every kindle owner that had it.
>>
>>54488119
>>54488136
THIS. Also you can remove the ads and amazon still will not drop your guarantee (at least not in the UK).
Speaking from experience. Had 2 kindles, always bought with ads, always took them down the first day. 2 of them I've sent for replacement (one I fucked over by installing linux lol), no problems at all.
>>
Kindle if you must, but I would encourage you to look at Kobo instead if you can get a hold of one wherever you are.
>>
>>54488119
kindle is the meme ebook reader

instead buy a boyue t62+ (ie the boyue t62d) and load it up with and ebookdroid and fbreader

its literally the exact same panel as the voyager except under 200 dollars
>>
>>54489154
>boyue t62d
>selfharm yourself by getting android ebook reader
>chronic problems with battery life due to ebookdroid constant problems with system processess
>random fbreader crashes, some files take a minute to load
>b-but android and the price is the same!
>b-but user experience doesn't matter that much anon!
dropped
>>
>>54489154
>android
As if we were not already fed up with Google's shitware
>>
>>54489201
>>54489204
itt people who have never experenced pure unfiltered boyue t62+ bliss

i dont bother to bring my textbooks around anymore

i have a boyue t62+
>>
>>54489220
nice shilling, Mr chin chan
>>
>>54488899
Indeed. That whole business about being able to delete everything on your device without your consent leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd rather not have to choke on amazon semen just to have the convenience of reading a book.

Kobo is superior in this respect, and as far as hardware goes they're basically the same function wise. No difference.

The game changer, if it works out, would be the yet to be released solar powered kindle, meaing you'd never have to recharge your "book", like the good old days.

Not long before Kobo implements the same system though.
>>
>>54488119
i got a kobo. its nice but i wish it had buttons.

its sometimes a bit buggy, zooms in without any way to zoom out without going back to the main menu and reloading the book.
>>
File: image3344.jpg (184 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
image3344.jpg
184 KB, 1600x900
>>54488119
>im thinking of buying a kindle, what do you think /g/?

Go for it.

I was also scratching my head like you and my options were:

1) Kindle Voyage $200 4Gb/3G/Wifi + backlight
2) Kindle Paperwhite $120 2Gb/3G/Wifi + backlight
3) Kindle Touch $43 4Gb/3G/Wifi

All 3G is limited only to downloading books from the store, however a Kindle Touch 3G can be hacked to access the entire internet for free forever everywhere... I don't need backlight because reading at night will strain my eyes.

I got a Kindle Touch 3G for $43 for its internet access to all websites, and that feature alone has saved me ass countless times... like when I was in Beijing and couldn't acess facebook it was my little kindle that saved me.

The kindle is one of the coolest little gadgets I ever bougt. I updated the firmware, jailbroke it and added other readers supporting .mobi .djvu .chm .html .txt .epub .rtf .pdf .doc etc files it also runs bash shell and many linux terminal commands/utilities have been successfully ported to the kindle and has utilities like calculators, text editors, calendars, stopwatch, unit converters, painting, file managers, sound recorders, browser with flash plugins, etc... and also games... javascript games, flash games, etcl/tk games... I even have a http/vnc/ftp server running on my kindle that I use to transfer books over wifi and to tether my laptop with the kindle and share it's internet connection with my laptop... just for you to see how versatile the $43 little thing actually is.

However, when it crashes (2 or 3 times a year) I have to wait 4 weeks until the battery dries out or open it and pull out the battery because there's no reset button.

amazon's lockscreen ads and remote control can be hacked also.

Mine has been to the war of 14 and back already... I'll add a pic to see how unbelievably worn out mine is due to constant daily use... bit it still works as reliably as a brand new one.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.