[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That moment when you finally go back to Windows after years of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: awesome.png (161 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
awesome.png
161 KB, 2000x2000
That moment when you finally go back to Windows after years of using Linsucks and everything just works.
No more X freezing randomly because shitty drivers
No more "this program only runs on windows and mac and there is no working linux alternative for it"
No more "have to edit grub so my computer will boot with nomodeset"

HNGGGGGGG

Post your positive tech feels
>>
File: 1453651869739.jpg (57 KB, 357x497) Image search: [Google]
1453651869739.jpg
57 KB, 357x497
>>54481004
>mfw never fell for the linux meme in the first place
>>
>>54481084
I still think it's a good idea to have at least a passing knowledge of UNIX.
>>
>>54481137
administering a server is way enough for that.

no need to poison your desktop with things not fit for it
>>
>>54481137
I did use it a bit for a job I did once. But I was getting paid to put up with that shit back then. And it was in a server role, like it was fucking supposed to be.
>>
>>54481004
That feel when you switch back to GNU/Linux after years of being forced to use Windoze for work
No more cancerous proprietary licensing, can look at source code, modify as much as I want, send whatever code I want to my friends, share it online
No more having to hunt down a million drivers from random chinese websites just to use my hardware, everything just works
No more forced live tile bullshit, use whatever window manager I want
No more forced paid apps and built-in advertisements
No more spying features lagging up my PC and network

I don't understand OP. Why would you willing use Winshits?
>>
>>54481004
good for you, dumb shits should stay on windows
>>
>>54481004

that moment when you go back to linux and use midnight commander again
being able to install and test a huge variety of different software without being afraid of getting malware
having 3 different WMs in a single OS
not having to deal with the piece of shit known as Visual Studio
>>
File: 1462639742037.png (84 KB, 571x565) Image search: [Google]
1462639742037.png
84 KB, 571x565
>>54481004
>No more X freezing randomly because shitty drivers
Eh, that never happened to me with Linux but it's a common occurrence with Windows (at least it was with XP and sometimes when playing video games but I'm past that now). I don't like Windows because how resourceful and bloatware is but using Linux makes me feel like an autist.
>>
>arch/i3 on left screen
>RDP session to Win10 on right screen
Best of both worlds
>>
>>54481222
Because I enjoy the freedom of choice and the high backwards compabitility that windows offers. Linsucks might be a good OS for a Linsucks-programming codemonkey, everyone else who does professional work does it on a Mac or Windows Computer. .
>>
>>54481302
>two screens
>staring right on the bezels when looking straight ahead
>not having 3 screens
plebosaurus rex
>>
File: 1330130574451.jpg (37 KB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
1330130574451.jpg
37 KB, 300x301
>>54481004
Unfortunately, I agree. I used *nix exclusively for 5+ years, but when I bought a new laptop I just "never got around to" installing *nix again. I realized that all of the tools I needed to work and program work fine on Windows, and now I no longer needed to worry about things like: PulseAudio and other audio-related driver problems, laptop never exiting hibernation-state after being closed, watching videos and listening to music without having to edit config files, etc.

I guess there's two groups of people who work with computers:
>My computer is a tool.
>My computer is a hobby.
And I fell into the former. I realized that I don't actually need a complex window manager with a multi-page cheat-sheet on keyboard shortcuts. Most of the "benefits" /g/ attributes to *nix are really just timesinks for me. I guess if my work required *nix, I would use it again, but as it is I just have no need for it. Let's be honest, *nix just isn't cut out yet for the desktop, and using it on laptops is close to a nightmare.
>>
>>54481332
Not sure what you mean by that, GNU/Linux actually has more freedom of choice and more backwards compatibility. MS is slowly dropping support for older software, meanwhile most old versions of GNU/Linux are still available with full source code.
>>
I did this 5 years ago.

I moved my GNU/Linux installation to a .vmdk and there it has stayed ever since, OS is a tool so whenever I need Linux I connect with remote desktop to the vm service that is running all the time.

I also use GNU/Linux on my Raspberry Pis but that's it
>>
>>54481423
Try installing an app compiled for GNOME 1 on an up to date system and getting it to run without modifying it

Meanwhile I can run mirc 2.8 from 1995 without problems on Win 10
>>
>>54481514
Cool, I bet you need that mirc for your professhunal """work""".
>>
>>54481514
Cherry picking. There are plenty of older windows apps that have special requirements and don't work on anything past XP.

Meanwhile all you should need to run a GNOME app from that era is GTK1.0 and a few other libraries. If you're using a distro with a package format that's been around for a while (RPM, Deb, etc) then installing these packages will just work. Not really that hard anon.
>>
>>54481662
As a soldier in the Airforce, we indeed do need and use mIRC in our daily task of operating drones and making america secure so you can shitpost here without having to fear that some durkas come and bomb your ass away
>>
>>54481668
>There are plenty of older windows apps that have special requirements
>Meanwhile all you should need to run a GNOME app from that era are these special requirements
>>
>>54481395
Right, all you say it's right, but why the fuck all those *nix?
>>
>replying to an OBVIOUS paid Microsoft shill
Just report and ignore, kids.
>>
>>54481349
>Implying anyone using a dual screen setup looks directly in the middle

I fell for the bait/10
>>
>>54481809
>having a twisted neck

hey, its your spine, not mine
>>
>>54481745
No I mean special requirements like "shit they never got to work on newer versions of windows and never will"

Meanwhile, if your GNOME 1.0 packages are fucked up you can still download the source code and build them yourself if you need to.
>>
That feel when you poo in the loo.
>>
>>54481817
Are you retarded? You setup it the same way as 3 monitors except minus one. So you have central + left/right instead of central + left + right.
>>
>>54481161
/thread
>>
>>54481914
having to turn to the same direction all the time is not good for your health and posture
>>
File: 1438557404979.jpg (34 KB, 489x479) Image search: [Google]
1438557404979.jpg
34 KB, 489x479
>>54481004
>mfw win10 uefi-gpt on my freshly purchased netbook
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.