[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to get a well paying job (>50k/year at least)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 1457741792489.png (412 KB, 1057x717) Image search: [Google]
1457741792489.png
412 KB, 1057x717
Is it possible to get a well paying job (>50k/year at least) in the tech industry without a degree? If so whats the way to go?
Programming?
Networking?
Server administration?
Vidya gaymes?
Tech support and fixing stuff?

I keep hearing on /g/ you have to start coding young to be an actually good programmer so I guess that one is dubious, my guess is networks and IT stuff works better for dropouts like me, thoughts?
>>
File: 'D'.png (57 KB, 194x186) Image search: [Google]
'D'.png
57 KB, 194x186
Become a e-sports player.
I'd recommend csgo or dota 2.
>>
>>54478436
Becoming a software dev worked for me. I already had like 10 years of programming experience from sitting in a basement all my life before I even started university.

I got into a shit-paying student programming job at a respectable company at around the same time (easy to get even without experience) but kept at it for some time.

After that I just applied for real programming jobs at other companies, never telling them I just came from a shit-paying student job.

Went along with the best offer (tripling my income), quit university and have no regrets.
>>
>>54479435
So basically my point was that you don't need a lot of knowledge to get into those shitty student-jobs. You wouldn't believe how clueless my peers were.

And then you use that job as a stepping stone. But make sure you know your shit decently well before you try to get any real jobs.
>>
>>54478436
Look.... 50% of Americans make under $27k.

Compare these hypotheses:

1. There is One Weird Trick for a young, unskilled person to make double the median salary, and most people just don't ask around.

2. You need to put in work to develop a skill, and it takes more of an effort and investment than a lot of people are willing or able to put in.
>>
>>54479938
Yeah but what skill in particular? For example >>54479435 already had around half of his life programming by then, for someone in his mid 20s thats just not feasible unless he has a genuine love for coding. Thats why I asked about those 5 options. Even simpler, forget about >50k/y lets just say enough to live for yourself with a moderate amount of commodities, say 20k/y but with zero previous work experience.
>>
certified gentoo installer
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.