[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, I've been a lot lately and noticed there's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 6292538478_94b8b7da1a_b.jpg (406 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
6292538478_94b8b7da1a_b.jpg
406 KB, 1024x768
Hey /g/, I've been a lot lately and noticed there's this niche for home servers. Why would anyone need a home server? What do they even do?
>>
put their media on it and stream to every other device on their network
>>
>>54477153
Most "home servers" that people need are actually a NAS
>>
>>54477153
I wonder how loud that room is.?
>>
>>54477153

I have bunch of Cisco gear and an ESXi host that I'm currently using to study the Cisco certs.

Of course you could virtualise most of the stuff on a laptop, but I like playing with the hardware, and most of it was being thrown out at work.
>>
>>54477317
Jesus fuck you rich white fuck. Bought the gear just for studying your certs? Ever heard of packet tracer? Gns3?

Fucking hippie.
>>
>>54477162
I could achieve that with a $300 PC, and a couple of 4TB USB HDD's. Still don't explain why the fuck anyone would want to build some monstrous home network that consumes more power than 2 refrigerators.
>>
>>54477348

Why are you being so combative anon?
>>
>>54477153
I'd guess that setup is doing something enterprise/production level. So home server for a business. (This could just be a picture from an office suite)

Typical home servers of G consist of NAS, maybe a video game server, or basic email/web/dns.
>>
>>54477153
Some retards waste 900€ on a useless iphone, some retards waste it on a home server
Its just consumerism
>>
>>54477450

Honestly it looks like an overblown CCIE lab. There's no other reason why someone would have that many routers connected together with back to back serial cables in an actual production environment.
>>
I used a Raspberry Pi to experiment with as a home server. I mostly use it for media, Cisco cert practice, and as a git repository. I would recommend it
>>
>>54477394
Refrigerators don't actually consume that much power...

My fridge is 230v/1.44A maximum rated.
That's only 331watts at maximum load (ie. compressor running, heater element running and the light on)
>>
>>54477348
gear is literally less then 100 bucks.
packet tracer works too but hands-on is just the way to go.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.