[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eletronic engineering Vs. Computer Science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (179 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
179 KB, 1280x720
I need help /g/aylords.

I made the stupid, STUPID mistake of going into Design in college and now at the very tail end of my graduation I realize this is nonsense and has no market value.

I'm seriously considering taking up one of the two fields mentioned in the title but I have some doubts as to which does what and which is more viable in the job marketplace.

So, I'd like to know how hard each one is for somene who's gotten rather rusty on his maths and which is superior or more viable.

Note: I live in Portugal and I'm 23yo, in case that factors in to the advice.
>>
>>54474823
>EE
You better love math, and I mean LOVE it. Prepare to spend every waking moment of the next 4 years eating, breathing and shitting math.
>CS
A bit of math, but not too much, eat breathe and shit Java or C++ for 2+ years depending on where you go.

I did both, (well, I only did EE for one year) and I prefer CS, your results may vary.
>>
>>54474823
design is everywhere and worth more money than god what the fuck are you talking about it's just self-doubt desu senpai we're all gonna make it >>>/gd/
>>
>>54474920
That's graphic design and it's use is limited.

I'm in product design which is the shittier cousin of graphic design, and it's just pure bollocks and people coming out of the course have no real skills of value.

Trust me, we're just guys with ideas, little to no actual valuable skills. We literally can't do shit without an engineer.
>>
>>54474823
>no market value
no degree has inherent market vaule you 'tist
memengineering won't save you
>>
>>54474897
That's weird, from what I've been reading computer science it seemed like it had a large maths component.
>>
>>54474978
Become an engineer and be the master of your trade
>>
>>54474990
Both courses have calculus, for some reason I found it easier in CS. But that's about it on the math front. (You'll generally have 1 math module per semester for 4 semesters(2 years), unless you choose something that has an extra math component to it.

In EE you'll likely have to do physics too (I had to), that's more math, then circuit analysis is all math too. You'll pretty much be doing one or more math modules per semester until the very end. If you can do it, you probably should, as it would compliment the skillset you already have.

You should try and look for jobs anyway though, I'm sure big companies have many product designers just for the task of product design.
>>
>>54474979
The difference is I doubt many people are willing to employ and pay me to be a glorified "idea guy".

>So, what can you add to my company?

>Yeah, I can work on redesigning and making incremental improvals on your products but only if they're aesthetic, ergonomical or user interface related, and even then I'll probably need the support of an engineer to make sure my changes are mechanically viable. I can also maybe, possibly develop a new product but there are no real guarantees it'll be successful.
>>
>>54474823
In HS I was good at math. Started EE at university fresh out of HS and it ate me alive (mostly out of self-discipline issues, which I never needed to develop in HS). Dropped out after half a year and continued EE at a lower level for a year.
Figured it wasn't something I really loved, so I dropped out again.
Then did literally nothing for a year, forgot basically all my HS and EE math and enrolled into CS at university. The math was a bit hard because I forgot everything, but it was very doable. Didn't have too much trouble with CS and I still love it. Doing a master's in it now.
Still wondering if CS is actually that much easier than EE or if it's just more my thing.

TL;DR CS has less/different and somewhat easier math than EE and may be much easier, depending on what you like.
>>
>>54475078
>mfw didn't have any calculus in my CS programme.
This fucking university doesn't have dedicated math courses and instead teaches required math bit by bit, integrated into courses that need it. e.g. some linear algebra in the graphics course, and some more linear algebra in the optimization course.
Shit approach cause you never get a good full picture of the particular math subfield. And I never even got any calculus (really though, what do you need calculus for in CS?)
>>
>>54474823
CE is the answer. The fun and RELEVANT parts of CS and EE
>>
>>54475465
Calculus comes handy in some situations but it isn't necessary.
E.g. horizontal line test
>>
I'm studying Informatics Engineering, at least that's how it translates from my language. Is it similiar to what you people are talking about? I have math, physics, electronic schemes, programming, some graphic design and shit, but I'm still first course, so there's a lot of shit without specialization starting until 3rd course
>>
>>54475484
How is CE?
>>
>>54475465
If you can do math, calculus does help for the likes of data analytics and writing algorithms for that kind of task.

Honestly the focused math that your degree had makes more sense to implement though. It's just most Universities (like mine) hold onto calculus because muh science = math
>>
>>54475882
CE fag here. It's is a bit of everything. Compared to CS it's probably less focused on math and more on programming/sys admin/networks.

There's still a bit of maths and physics though.
>>
>>54475882
>CE
>the shit parts of EE plus the shit parts of CS
Don't do it.
>>
CE is literally pussy EE for fags who couldn't handle the calculus. CS used to be a pure mathematics course but it's been overrun by pajeets and now is just a "how to fizz buzz in Java" course.

Go with EE
>>
>>54474990
CS courses at European universities tend to have more maths than in American universities so look up the University you want to go to and their program.

I live in Croatia and I'm studying CS. We literally shared all maths classes with EE students except for one difference
we had set theory and discrete math, they had vector Calculus.

We shared the same physics classes, they had an in depth electromagnetic field class though. It's true that EE classes incorporate all that math more than undergrad CS classes though.

CS at top American universities does have a lot of math though, in fact lots of people do a double major in math and CS since the fields are related.

It seems that at some unis what should be software engineering they call CS.
>>
CS major. Don't fall for the meme and go EE
>>
>>54477834
Depends on what university you go to. My CS bachelor taught C# and Haskell, and for one course Prolog. In my master's C++ is used for most courses, though they don't actually teach it.
>>
>>54477834
> CE anything to do with EE

what
>>
>>54474823

Damn that's an old school data centre.
>>
>>54478040
Just realised its sequential desktops.
>>
>>54474823
Computer scientist in Portugal, or sheetrocker in america
>>
>>54477792
>>54477580
These are both conflicting.

I assumed it would be like CS + EE, with some hardware plus the software.

Networking/sysadmin stuff turns me off though. I took a networking class once and it was just the instructor having us memorize a bunch of autistic standards about different types of cables and IEEE standards.

Never again.
>>
>>54477834
I sort of want to do EE but I'm already doing an associate at a community college (in CS lol) and plan to transfer. If I transfer and then do EE that will basically be 2 years wasted.
>>
>>54478335
CE is different at every uni. The CE programme im studying is pretty much CS + physics + more math + more engineering subjects, no networking
>>
>>54478335
Major in CS with a minor in EE or
Major in EE with a minor is CS

Those both mean (mostly) the same thing from one university to another
(CS is a bit inconsistent as well, but not nearly as badly as CE)
>>
>>54477922
>>54478264
Please expand
>>
What do you want to do with your life? That's the question you need to answer.

Don't fall for the whole "CS/EE is a meme" in either way. It's up to you whether you want to program, or design circuits or what.

Personally, I did EE and wish I had done CS. But thankfully I'm in a job where I'm programming and in my spare time I am learning the CS concepts that I missed out on.
>>
File: isthisCE.png (52 KB, 1084x623) Image search: [Google]
isthisCE.png
52 KB, 1084x623
>>
>>54474897
>engineering
>math
how did no one take this bait
>>
>>54481162
>Pascal

lel

who made this shit?
>>
>>54481162
>1990+26
>pascal
>>
>>54481261
>>54481371

https://www.fing.edu.uy/sites/default/files/ing_computacion_0.pdf

>Still using 1997 plan
>Minor changes since then

At least in P2 they changed to C, it was Modula2 until last year.
>>
>>54478335
>I assumed it would be like CS + EE, with some hardware plus the software.

That's how it is, at least here in my uni

>>54477580
>Compared to CS it's probably less focused on math and more on programming/sys admin/networks.

Don't know where you study, but where I do it's the other way around, CS only has Calc 1 and Physics 1 while I get Calc from 1 to 4, methods and physics from 1 to 3, pretty similar to what >>54478401 said.

Overall, CE is a mix of CS and EE (it's harder than CS but easier than EE)

>>54481162
This shit looks so messy and incomplete, wtf
>>
>>54481162
>three programming courses
Confirmed for meme degree
>>
>>54474823
I do EE. Are you ready to sell your soul?
>>
>>54481162
>6th semester for Java

kek Im EE and this is used in first semester intro course for people who never programmed before
>>
>>54483229
depends the university, they teach C++ at the community college that I go to for 1st semester, also java as 1st semester too at another university.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.