[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was your first time working at a software company? Did you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: 1462710811852.png (48 KB, 1764x1060) Image search: [Google]
1462710811852.png
48 KB, 1764x1060
How was your first time working at a software company? Did you fuck up a lot of shit?
>>
Windows ME happened : /
>>
>>54473428
My first time was at a startup hosted at a university. They were commercializing a patented system developed at the uni research labs.
The thing had been developed in the 80s for Windows 3.1 originally and then badly ported over multiple systems. In the course of 3 years I rewrote the whole thing from scratch properly and documented it. I left because they refused to give me a raise. Then got a job at a major software company and more than doubled my salary. Guess I didn't fuck up but there are parts I'd write differently now.
>>
>>54473428
I accidentally deleted the company's github page ;_;
>>
>>54473428
Wrote some stuff, got paid jack shit, didn't fuck anything up.
>>
File: herp derp.png (8 KB, 1235x717) Image search: [Google]
herp derp.png
8 KB, 1235x717
>>54473428
>>
>>54473428

I got my first job right when I graduated college at 22. It was a successfully funded startup with 20 million in angel investments, and only 25 people in the company.

I was basically working under a senior guy who wanted nothing to do with me, so I got away with pretending to work for 2.5 years. Making over 100k a year, mind you. Mostly reading technical books, working on hobby projects or occasionally moonlighting for other companies.

I ended up quitting out of boredom, and I had gotten a better offer outside of Silicon Valley (fuck that place). Boy was the CEO pissed when he found out in the exit interview. Told him I literally had done nothing for the past year. He threatened to sue me for gross incompetence as I was leaving the building. Screaming his head off. Tried to force me to give back my stock.

True story.
>>
>>54477206
>20 million in angel investments, and only 25 people in the company
Where do these people come from? How do they get this kind of money?
>>
>>54477262

Honestly, it was luck of the draw. 9 out of 10 start-ups fail.

I got lucky. The company I was working for was making pretty significant progress in an untapped market (eye tracking software for consumer devices), and we ended up getting the attention of a few venture capitalists.
>>
I accidently "rm -rf" the whole server including the backups.
>>
>>54474348
Well shit.
>>
>>54473428
Great to see my OC being used
>>
>>54476401
This was made before the OP's one was.
>>
First time was at a small start up. It was a good work environment and I was able to telecommute for half the week. But eventually, it failed, like most start ups do.
>>
File: sap-consultant.jpg (171 KB, 650x445) Image search: [Google]
sap-consultant.jpg
171 KB, 650x445
I've been doing SAP work for four years now and I've avoided fucking up customer systems. I'm not a developer but I do work on configuration. I've never irrevocably lost data on a customer system.

I've had bad instructions/guides that aren't right, half baked correction instructions that ended up needing a developer to manually fix, and a shitload of customer mistakes to clean up, but I'm proud to say I am not directly responsible for any big fuckups.
>>
>>54473428
My friend managed to drop the company's DB on the second day.
>>
>>54473428
They put me on toddler duty and gave me data entry tasks instead of programming.

After I realized my boss had no intentions of helping me I submitted my 2 week notice and them deleted their databases on the last day right before I went home while everyone else was gone.

They couldn't even pin it on me either since their logging system was so easily bypassable that I just made it look like one of the Indians they outsource testing to did it. It was great getting an email from one of my coworkers telling me that one of the retarded testers just set them back months.
>>
>>54477944
Pretty childish thing to do desu
>>
>>54477964
No Fucks given, treat me like shit and I'll treat you like shit back.
>>
File: 1454048721600.png (8 KB, 755x518) Image search: [Google]
1454048721600.png
8 KB, 755x518
>>54473428
>>
>>54477206
Shit like this makes me depressed to live in Eastern Europe. If I understand correctly you literally landed a 6 figure job with a BSc and you did nothing productive with no one saying anything?

I can't even get employed unless I have a masters and I'll be earning 10 times less money for the same job.
>>
>>54478007
Unless you live in NYC your cost of living will also be 10 times less than silicon valley
>>
File: 1031569567139.jpg (81 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1031569567139.jpg
81 KB, 300x250
I made like 30 data entry pages in php with an autistic level of validation, then they said they were ugly and I had to start over on asp/c#.

Then they didn't pay me for an entire month and I quit.
>>
>>54478000
tripsotruto
>>
>>54478045
>PHP
You're a fucking imbecile
>>
>>54478045
Sue them.
>>
>>54478025
Even when you adjust for PPP a programmer in silicon Valley can afford much more things than I ever could.

Most of my wage will be going into rent food and bills with some spare change of like $200 left as disposable monthly income.
>>
>>54478354
kek, even in scandinavia i can spend 2000€ on anything i want each month
>>
>>54478431
Good for you Iqbal.
>>
File: gypsy.jpg (179 KB, 1064x813) Image search: [Google]
gypsy.jpg
179 KB, 1064x813
>>54478441
plz dont steal anything fucking gypsy
>>
>>54478431
>even in one of the richest regions of the world I have a lot of disposable income

didn't they teach you snow niggers not to brag in the jante loven
>>
>>54473428
I once rm -rf 'ed the production site when I meant to do it in staging. Luckily I figured it out and quickly redeployed. Only about 2 minutes of downtime and no one found out.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.