[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GTX 960 has betrayed and abandoned me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
Just fucking /g/ut me alive and leave me to die. I finally ended up building a new tower with an intel i7-4790k to upgrade from the shitty stock HP 2ghz processor that I was using. Everything went well and seems to be workign fine apart form the fact that my GTX 960 (which worked in my old setup) now crashes whenever I boot up any game or anything else that puts any sort of load on it. I've tested the programs with the intel integrated graphics and don't get the same issues. Has anyone else had this issue? Should I bash my fucking head in with this piece of shit video card?

tl;dr GTX 960 locked up my WHOLE GOT DAMB PC whenever I put any load on it after transferring it to my new build.
>>
Did you completely reinstall windows?

Have you considered being a production e member of society instead of a gaymer?
>>
>>54472845
I have the same setup and has a similar problem.
Check your GeForce experience and possibly get older drivers.
>>
Check your PSU.
>>
>>54472845
install gentoo
>>
>>54472863
I use my video card to render hi-polygon models of garfield kissing a tesselated mario from super mario sunshine.

>>54472865
Did you install older drivers to fix it? If so, how far back do I go?

>>54472874
Already did. I'm running a 650W and the 500W I tried didn't work either. Both are more than enough for my setup.

>>54472880
:-)
>>
>>54472845
Install the fucking drivers, you fucking meme. Both motherboard and GPU. Also, make sure you've got the pci power cables running from the PSU to the GPU. If neither of these work, you're probably fucked. Try looking into pci power management in power options. Turn it off
>>
>>54472983
Updating my BIOS as we speak

...ooooo. ..---##o
.--^""#########o ..o--" .o#####
.."-. ..-^" .o###########^" .o########
..."^o ^. .o^" o##^"#"#"#"#"## .o#^:^:^:^:#
"^-:^.# .o#:- o^" "-"-"-"-##.o^"-^" " " :# .-^""
::#"##o#^. -""..---------...":^-------. o#^.^.#:"
-:.-:^:"oo^ .-" ""o ^:^#:#"
..o:^o:#o:##"" o" "o # "-o.
o"." ^"-"^-"" # # # .#.
.^o"o:-. . # .^ #o-#-#
.#^.^.^#^#^ # ...o: .....o""o^o"#
#^ "-"- " #""""^####^""""".-"#####^"""" o" ^.^.^o
"#"o"o .#--""" ^.. ..oo###oo. ..-" o:o"o^
^-o:o". .^" """"""" ::^^^^^::""""" ^.#-#
"^o:-:-# - .. .o-" "--.. . ^.^
"-:-:^o """""" """" o"
"^-^#. .o^#........................... ..-"
""""" "" """"
>>
>>54473251
I didn't mean to ctrl + v the bottom part
>>
File: 1456591795524.png (289 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
1456591795524.png
289 KB, 1200x600
>>54472845
Your upgrade probably put your PC past it's PSU limit. Get a beefier PSU. Any 500 watt 80+ gold unit or higher should be fine.
>>
Not op but i honestly have no idea.

can u check the GPU temps with gpu-z or afterburner while under load or it immediately locks up?

You might just have to limp along on intergrated then RMA the card
>>
did you actually plug the power cable into the card
>>
Seems like power issue.
>>
>>54476276
This. Check your pcie power going to the card. You should probably have 2.
>>
>>54472845
Same happens to my GTX 950. Read online it's probably a damaged card and you have to get a new one.
I've been able to fix mine by downgrading drivers and each time it crashes, take the card out and let it sit for a little while. It's gotten better, it used to only last a day l, but now it's turning into weeks before I have to do it again. I think something killed it from my hdmi since the port doesn't work on the card anymore.
>>
Check the card with another board
Or put another card into your board
That should deduce the problem
>>
Is it a new motherboard as well? I'm assuming it is. Could also be a faulty PCI-E slot on the mobo. If you have a second slot available, try that (after ruling out power problems).
>>
>>54476275
it immediately locks up and I can't access anything. Sometimes the whole computer freezes and other times I can still hear it screaming for help with error windows popping up
>>
>>54476276
>>54476474
I'm not running babby's first PC, I know what the PCI-E power cable does.

>>54476755
God fucking damn it.

>>54476790
It's too big to fit into the bottom 2 PCI-E slots without resting directly on the PSU vent. I'm going to try and see how my old GTX 250 works.
>>
>>54476755
>implying nvidia doesen't gimp their cards to break down early in order for you to buy a new one

I've had many friends with nvidia cards that had the same problem.
>>
>>54477716
>>54477677
sounds fucked then.

What happens is exactly what you said as soon as you stress it it just trips the fault safety and shuts off.

Better off just going off intergrated, its not that bad and see if you can last until the new cards come out, snag a bargain like a 290 or 390 8gb for cheapo or a 980ti
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.