[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Radio is technology. What have you done with radio, /g/? Pic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: rtl_sdr1.png (270 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
rtl_sdr1.png
270 KB, 800x533
Radio is technology.
What have you done with radio, /g/?

Pic related. I just got a rtl-sdr and have been playing with it.
>>
>>54472214
used to work in communications on DoD and border patrol projects

left because L3 and mini-circuits run everything now and are comcast-tier companies
>>
File: planes.png (681 KB, 1996x893) Image search: [Google]
planes.png
681 KB, 1996x893
I have one of these (I think, bought it to plug into a raspberry pi, looks exactly like pic related) that's sitting on my windowsill. It feeds ads-b data to FlightAware, I get a free pro account and plus I can see airplanes landing at DFW and Love Field from my house in Plano, Texas. Supposedly uses less energy than a night light, but still gets pretty hot constantly. Still, pretty cool to see airplanes ascend and descend to and from the airport :D

Also, that shit's valuable in the zombie apocalypse.
>>
>>54472362

Also, I should add that it's late right now, so not that many planes as you might see, but you can still see the range from my west-facing window.
>>
I really want to get an RF-Explorer because those Ettus things are too expensive. I'd start by scanning for standard open comms stuff like local police radio and emergency response. Any other ideas to justify a purchase?
>>
>>54472362
What kind of antenna do you have for the ADS-B data? I have similar one of these and I can't pick up shit.

>>54472214
I use mine to listen to CB radio chatter sometimes.
>>
File: welcome to the rice fields.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
welcome to the rice fields.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>54472431

You might be able to justify a purchase from /csg/, I found some type of radio scanner that basically covered all frequencies for 40 bucks
>>
>>54472444

It was a fun weekend product, had the rasp pi from a gift so only cost me 20 bucks for the antenna

http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build
>>
>>54472457

they seemed to have updated their page with new parts, and a shit ton of optional things.

I just have the raspberry pi and this: http://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR-Mini-Compatible-Packages/dp/B009U7WZCA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462854777&sr=1-3&keywords=ads+b, not really sure about all the optional components they have listed there but ok

Sitting on a 2nd story windowsill with a fairly unblocked view of the sky to the west, blocked in mostly all the other directions.
>>
>>54472457
Interesting! Thanks anon.
>>
I listen to local Police/Emergency, insurance, towing, hospitals.

I tried sniffing some co-workers wireless keyboards. And other wireless protocols.
>>
File: 1437715162400s.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1437715162400s.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>54472214

you're a fucking retard
first off, that looks like a nooelec RTL device. they are shit, and you already fucked up by choosing this image

second, that remote is worthless
this isn't europe, we don't have DVB signals here.
that fucking faggot from nooelect is such a canadian jew bitch

the hardware over at rtl-sdr.com is so much better.
for the same price you can get a real RTL stick with a proper aluminum enclosure and thermal pad, and proper fucking antenna

you can also get a free RTL stick if you buy that nooelec shit from that canadian worthless faggot on ebay
then start trolling him like a bitch and complain about his shitty device and software to ebay.
he will try to make you pay for return shipping but just start trolling him instead, because ebay will make his ass pay, at that point he will just ignore you and ebay will refund your purchase 100%
>>
>>54472214
I used to listen to police radio on a real(ly old) scanner, but then my city jumped on the Project 25 bandwagon. I bought an RTL, but DSD doesn't work well, and now all I can get is little chunks of corrupted digital audio
>>
File: 48111831.png (33 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
48111831.png
33 KB, 429x410
>>54472883
>this isn't europe
where do you think you are
>>
>>54472444
>What kind of antenna do you have for the ADS-B data? I have similar one of these and I can't pick up shit.
I use the one that it came with like in the OP and can pick up planes from Pittsburgh, almost to Erie.
>>
>>54473174

nobody is actually from europe
4chan is illegal over there
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.