[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 1441686028763.png (463 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1441686028763.png
463 KB, 853x480
Previously on: >>54452641

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
Best GNU/+Linux distro for Networking?
>>
>>54469092
did you mean GNU/sage?
>>
kek, busyboxfag is on the loose again: >>54469048
>>
>>54469092
>>SAGE AND REPORT
You are aware that announcing reports is against the rules?
>>
>>54469103
They basially all work the same.
>>
how to print md5 sums of a file
>>
>>54469328
apropos md5sum
>>
>>54469328
md5sum > nigger.txt
>>
>>54469349
>>54469351
i have a .md5sum file
what do? just cat it and compare with my eyes?
>>
>>54469063
archlinux.org down for anyone else?
>>
>>54469373
compare the first and last digits of the md5sum file with the md5 of the file in question
>>
>>54469400
Nope is up for me check your DNS settings.
>>
>>54469373
use the -c switch to read them from a file and check them
>>
>>54469400
Works on my machine :D

Are you having problems friend? Let me guess, you're an Ubuntu user aren't you XD
>>
>>54469400
isitdownorjustme.com
>>
>>54469063
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>it's a loonix fag gets a thread in when the gahnoo fags let their guard down episode
>>
>>54469417
ty
>>
>>54469430
>It's a rerun
>>
>>54469373
md5sum -c FILE.md5

just make sure the md5 file and the file you're comparing is in the same directory.
>>
Who would win in a fist-fight between Linus and Richard?
>>
>>54469417
>>54469447
Worked! thanx very much guys
>>
uh oh
>>
>>54469466
Richard's fatass would just fall on top of Linus crushing him immediately.
>>
>>54469475
Why the FUCK do people use that trash. If you want to be bleading edge just install Arch ffs
>>
File: 1462212450936.jpg (68 KB, 431x423) Image search: [Google]
1462212450936.jpg
68 KB, 431x423
>>54469475
AGAIN
MY SIDES
>>
>>54469475
>right click save as
>file manager autosaves as manjaro3.jpg
>>
>>54469475
Are they just forgetting to pay for a new cert or is the CA just lazy I don't understand how this keeps fucking happening.
>>
File: 1438275261910.jpg (98 KB, 927x717) Image search: [Google]
1438275261910.jpg
98 KB, 927x717
>>54469466
>>54469477
>>
>>54469526
Would Bulgarian Fighting just be curb stomping the downed opponent until he explodes?
>>
>>54469526
top kek
>>
File: happiness.gif (10 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
happiness.gif
10 KB, 2000x2000
>>54469424
>downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
or as I like to call it downforeveryone+orjustme.com
>>
>>54469575
>>54469424
isup() {
curl -s isup.me/"$1" | grep -q "It's just you." \
&& printf "yep\n" || printf "nope\n"
}
>>
>>54469607
Using this unironically
>>
>>54469607
how do I use this

is this a .sh scritp?
>>
>>54469619
Nah. I've a file with shitloads of functions I just wrote for learning.
>>
>>54469627
zsh function it looks like
>>
>>54469466
linus has a short temper and will explode at the first interjection
>>
>>54469627
You save it into your ~/.bashrc, restart terminal and just type
isup stallman.org
>>
>>54469648
>restart terminal
source ~/.bashrc
>>
>>54469673
>source ~/.bashrc
. ~/.bashrc
>>
File: :3.png (19 KB, 737x486) Image search: [Google]
:3.png
19 KB, 737x486
>>54469648
:3
>>
>>54468884
you have no idea what those values actually do
http://lwn.net/Articles/83588/
>>
File: 1447625538684.jpg (17 KB, 299x383) Image search: [Google]
1447625538684.jpg
17 KB, 299x383
>>54469696
>>54469685
>>54469670
>>
>>54469405
Effective hash size: 8 bits.
>>
File: mfw.gif (543 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
543 KB, 320x240
>>54469063
So I'm having trouble installing Mint 17.3 alongside Windows 7.

I used to do it all the time with ease. First I'd install Windows, and then when I install Mint, there was always the option "Install LM alongside Windows 7." And boom, simple as that.

But now it's not sensing Windows anymore. Probably because I'm using a different Windows copy.

So by using the "do something else" option in the LM install menu, I tried to make the LM partition myself but I dun goofed somehow. I followed all of the steps carefully, made the root, home, and swap partitions, but now I can't access Windows. The boot menu that usually comes up isn't there, it just goes straight to Mint. Also I think I messed up the memory somehow because it's so slow.
>>
File: vaio.jpg (388 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
vaio.jpg
388 KB, 3264x2448
So I'm trying to put Ubuntu on this Vaio. It's from 2000, and a quarter of the screen doesn't work. Also, it overheats from idling, and trying to explore the files.
Anyway, how do I delete windows after installing it? Is the automatic installer supposed to take 45 minutes? What are some word / excel type programs for ubuntu?
>>
>>54469761
Can you give the output of fdisk -l (or gdisk -l if you use GPT) for whichever disk you have Windows and LM on?

You should also check your GRUB menu timeout in /etc/default/grub and make sure it is enabled and non-zero, and then run update-grub to rebuild the GRUB menus.
>>
>>54469773
You're going to want to put xubuntu or preferably lubuntu. Would also recommend maxing out the ram for it if you're serious since the cost wouldn't be that much. I had a 1999 PC I could only get working with puppy. C2D thinkpads have fallen so hard, would recommend that over this since the entire cost is less than $60 now
>>
>>54469773
>What are some word / excel type programs for ubuntu?
LibreOffice
>>
>>54469801
Fuck I'm actually not using that hard drive right now. I just took it out. I was just wondering if this is a common problem
>>
>>54469773
>how do I delete windows after installing it?
You might like gparted, it's graphical.
>>
>>54469801
Or if you can stay on here for about 10 minutes I can switch them out real quick and show the fdisk. Cool?
>>
File: Selection_012.png (655 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Selection_012.png
655 KB, 1920x1080
>>54469773
You just flash a Ubuntu iso to a removable media and set your BIOS to boot from that media.

Also You can use MS Office in Ubuntu with wine.
>>
>>54469838
I think I fucked it up. It said that it couldn't format the disk because it was in use, then said something about not being able to inform a kernel, then it said to restart it. So I turned it off and on, and now it just shows the Vaio startup image and won't even let me access the BIOS.
[spoiler]We were going to drop this off at a thrift store anyway. Oops.[/spoiler]
>>
>>54469996
I do remember my experience with linux on very little to no ram. The PC I had in question from 1999 was 64 and everything but puppy would kernel panic / crash and even puppy would KP half the time and if it didn't it was maxxing out the memory and grinding away into swap 100% of the time. Upped it to 128 and got away with puppy being usable. Again C2D stuff is still usable as long as you don't need HD video and gaymes, best use case scenario is outfitting your family with C2D laptops which are $60 a pop and could basically handle and distro you want and be relatively secure so you stop getting annoying phone calls.
>>
File: AMD_Logo.svg.png (4 KB, 320x76) Image search: [Google]
AMD_Logo.svg.png
4 KB, 320x76
I need to contact AMD about their drivers for GNU/Linux. But, the contact form does not shows up. Can someone please open up the form and see if it loads?

https://support.amd.com/en-us/contact/email-form
>>
>>54469063
>wants to live a life he can be proud of
>lives like a paranoid hobo
>>
Me from
>>54469761

Here's the Gparted screenshot if this helps. >>54469801
. Was having trouble with the fdisk command
>>
>>54470179
Oops here.
>>
So what have you guys been using lately? I've been switching between Gentoo and FreeBSD lately.
>>
>>54470213
Is that your only disk? If so, you dun goofed.
>>
>>54470258
I know. What did I do? Give it do me straight doc I can take it.
>>
>>54470213
You were supposed to shrink the Windows partition(s) and allocate your GNU/Linux partitions along side Windows, and install Grub (or whatever boot loader you use.)
>>
>>54470301
to*
>>
>>54470301
Your windows partition is ded and gone. Restore from backup.
>>
>>54470313
I did shrink the Windows partition first. That's what's confusing me. Before the LM install I went into disk management and shrinked it by half
>>
>>54470331
I'm just gonna do another fresh install of Windows and try again. Didn't lose anything. I'm just trying to figure out what I did wrong. Here's what I did:

1) Shrunk Windows in disk management.
2) In LM, In the "free space", I installed the "/" partition, then "/home", then the swap.

Was I supposed to do something specific after that?
>>
OK, so there isn't an official FOSS (Facebook) Messenger client for GNU/Linux (Ubuntu), right?
I'm using now an unofficial client.
>>
>>54470385
I haven't ever messed with LM but GRUB is generally ok about detecting other operating systems and creating correct entries.

However, I know that fdisk and gdisk will both recognize proper NTFS partitions, and your screenshot shows nada, so it's effectively hosed. This may not entirely be your fault though - I've had mixed experiences with the ntfsprogs programs which are used behind the scenes to resize the NTFS partitions. They are supposed to be safe, but I've hosed some critical Windows files in my time doing perfectly legal operations.

Anyway, what I would do if I were you is this:

1) Install Windows however you like; either all free space or into a smaller partition, but Windows tends to like all free space, so do that

2) Boot into a live Linux environment that has access the ntfsprogs. You can check this by opening a terminal and checking, eg, "man 8 ntfsprogs" and see if you get anything. You should get a man page listing all of them and synopses of each.

3) Do the ol' quick and dirty "ls -l /dev/sd?" and see what disks show. Say you get:

/dev/sda ...
/dev/sdb ...

Then follow it up with the ol' "fdisk -l /dev/sd[ab]" and get the disk listings of each. Odds are one is your flash drive (if you are using one) and one is your hard drive. You should be able to tell from the capacities in the listings. Assume your drive is /dev/sda for now.

The fdisk -l /dev/sda output should then show several partitions, including at least one huge type "8e" (if I recall right) NTFS/exFAT partition, which is Windows. Note which one it is, like /dev/sda2.

4) Now time for either Gparted (graphical resize and repartition tool) or ntfsresize and fdisk (terminal). Since you are in this thread, I think you need to be told two things:

- repartitioning and resizing are two different things, and confusing them is dangerous

- tools that do both at once can be dangerous too if used incorrectly, like Gparted, old versions of parted (new parted won't let ...
>>
File: 2.png (1 MB, 1517x965) Image search: [Google]
2.png
1 MB, 1517x965
I've used Linux for a while but mainly server administration and very rarely have I ever used Linux in a desktop environment.

I'm getting a new laptop and I want to try dual booting Linux and Windows; is there any good guide/tutorial to this available? I know the OP has some resources but I'm sure you fine /g/entlemen have some better experience/knowledge.
>>
lel
>>
>>54470553
>have some better experience/knowledge
our good wisdom is in the OP you didn't read
>>
>>54470510
... you).

Partitioning is dividing up a disk and settings the boundaries for a filesystem to follow (on disk); resizing is adjusting the filesystem's boundaries to match (in filesystem).

If it any point the partition's boundaries are INSIDE the filesystem's boundaries, you are in a very dangerous state. Luckily, most filesystems force you to unmount them first to do this, so no writing or reading will occur. Keep that in mind.

Now, let's assume you want to use Gparted. It will first shrink the filesystem (along with doing some sanity checks), and then shrink the partition to match, being safe. The other way would be dangerous.

With ntfsresize, you'll have to read the man page as I don't remember it (not with comp right now), resize the filesystem down smaller, and then redo the boundaries of the partition with fdisk to match (or be slightly larger to be safe).

If that all works, you should be able to reboot into Windows and if you open the File Explorer (press Win+E) to see your disk, you should see that Windows has shrunken to the new size. Reboot again back to live environment and install to free space.

Lastly, after the install finishes, run update-grub from a terminal at least once to see if it "sees" Windows. From what I remember, update-grub will print on stdout any operating systems it finds as it goes along checking superblocks.

Good luck, too. It's been a long time since I've worked with a multi-boot system. For work, it's strictly one or the other and I would highly recommend using a VM over dual booting as it's non-destructive and allows unlimited experimentation with rollback (snapshots). Use a VM until you are absolutely comfortable or, alternatively, install Linux and then install VirtualBox in Linux and run Windows that way natively with KVM.
>>
>>54470553
arch wiki
>>
>>54470434
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12527/easily-add-facebook-chat-to-pidgin/

Would that work? Pidgin and XMPP are FOSS from what I know, but I don't use them ever.
>>
>>54470434
What the hell would an official FOSS facebook messenger client be? Have you ever known facebook to do anything in a FOSS way? Quite a few messengers can use the facebook protocol including bitlbee and pidgin.
>>
>>54470695
I'm just wanting to be sure.
>>
>>54470553
For a better Linux laptop experience, choose one that is known for having very good hardware compatibility, otherwise, it will be hell.
>>
>>54470636
Is it better than my current client?
>>
>>54470510
>>54470616

I appreciate the feedback. Screenshotted all of this and I'll post my results. I haven't used a VM before but I like the dual-boot system because I have my tasks for Linux and tasks on Windows, but maybe I'll try a VM sometime. Can you still save files in a VM?
>>
>>54470636
>>54470727

This is out of date, Facebook dropped the XMPP protocol years ago.
>>
>>54470741
OH NO!!!
I will drop Facebook then!
>>
>>54470736
Yes. A VM is an entire computer running natively on your current operating system.

You boot it, install things, manipulate data, shut it down, whatever you want. It's data is persistent - the virtual disks are portable and hold all the operating system and user data, just like real disks.

It's not at all like a live Linux distro on a thumb drive or DVD. The code executes at native speed. The only overhead is from the hypervisor, which is minimal.

To give you a better idea, hypervisor software in enterprise, like I normally deal with, costs thousands of dollars and is massively important. Windows HyperV, ESXi, Xen, etc are all used enormously to repurpose and multipurpose hardware.

From a management point of view, you can have a single better server running three virtual servers each with sandboxed resources, so what's not to love? You can even cluster the VMs for high-availability and replication for zero downtime between VM upgrades. They are effectively real computers.
>>
>>54470720
What like Ubuntu?
>>
>>54470954
I was talking about the choice of laptop, not the choice of distro.
>>
Are there advantages in more 'advanced' distros, like Gentoo, Debian, Arch, Fedora, etc, in comparison with 'beginners' distros, such as Ubuntu and Mint for a guy that is not a developer of any kind/CS student?
I know this may be asked quite often, but I am just looking for a good, stable, lightweight and comfy desktop distro, and I am willing to learn, for instance, Gentoo. Recomendations?

Also, what do I need to know to git gud on GNU? I mean for installation and those Terminal commands etc. (I mean what should I study? Shell? Linux Kernel?) Thanks
>>
>>54471090
>Are there advantages in more 'advanced' distros,
Yes, they allow you to make the distro exactly what you want, it has nothing to do with being a developer or student. This is speaking more towards gentoo than the others you mention. It allows you to have probably the fastest and most lightweight distro possible, perfectly optimized for your hardware.
>>
>>54471090
Pick a baby distro at first, get comfortable with the command line (i.e. GNU Bash and common system utilities) and configuring your applications, then eventually you will have some idea of what distro you might like and switch to it (or perhaps you'll decide to stick with the one you chose and just customize it to your liking, which you can do for the most part with any distro)

Happy hacking
>>
>>54471121
>>54471141
Thanks for the kind and answers friends
>>
hi /fglt/

Got an x260, threw Mint on it, loving it. Only issue is, when I unplug the charging cable, the acpitz-virtual-0 temp1 jumps from 50C to ~65C and the fan kicks to high.

It's killing my battery, any suggestions on where to start looking for answers? Thanks
>>
>>54471247
install tlp
>>
So I have 2 hard drives and I want to keep windows on 1 and install ubuntu on the 2nd. I tried to do this using install alongside it does install the files on the 2nd hdd but then it has to restart to complete the install but nothing happens any ideas. Is it GRUB or something. Also is there any problems accessing and editing files in the windows hdd with linux and vice a versa
>>
How could I generate a list of all possible 5 letter combination in vim?
>>
>>54471375
>install tlp
Did so, the default config doesn't seem to work well with my setup. I'm now running hot constantly

I'm reading over documentation now, any tips?
>>
File: Logo Telegram.png (12 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
Logo Telegram.png
12 KB, 236x236
Hello. I've downloaded Telegram for my Linux, but I can't install, every time I want to open it, I need to go to the folder where it is and double-click the executable.
>tsetup.0.9.42.tar.xz
Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>54471647
You could use the keyboard.
>>
>>54471773
Yeah let me just type those 11 million words
>>
>>54471780
ok
>>
>>54471661
here

I ended up installing thermald because I'm on an chipset and disabling tlp. This seems to have solved my issues

Thanks anon for giving me a technology and thus a set of terms to search for. I'm super new to this if it doesn't show
>>
>>54471789
>>54471773
>/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
>Friendly
>>
>>54471780
Sorry if I'm not being friendly, but I need to troll this, you asked what you could do, not what you should do!
>>
>>54471802
>giving answers
>agreeing
>unfriendly
please fuck off
>>
So I installed debian stable today, but found the packages to be pretty outdated. I decided to try out testing to get updated packages. I updated the repos and ran apt-get update and then upgrade. After that finished I ran apt-get autoremove to get rid of the no longer needed stuff. I rebooted my computer and now it is unbelievably slow. I have found that rsyslog and systemd journald are combined using more than half of my cpu resources. Any ideas on what went wrong or how to fix it? I reinstalled stable to try and do this again properly
>>
>>54471815
Good point, I guess you're fine.

I used python in the end.
>>
>>54471820
>fuck off
This isn't friendly!
>>
>>54471759
what distro?

anyway, try extracting that
>>
>>54471848
Ubuntu 16.04.
Extracting gives me 2 executables: the client and the updater.
>>
>>54471844
kill yourself
>>
>>54471862
you don't download executables on linux
>>
>>54471890
>Type: Executable (application/x-executable)
It works, but I want to install!
>>
>>54471862
then use the client.

telegram has a weird setup where it updates itself and not through the package manager.

would recommend ubuntu-mate-welcome as an easier way of installing some stuff like telegram. doesn't require MATE. you could use ppas but you'd have to hunt them down yourself.
>>
>>54471629
can ye help me with this
>>
File: Fuck Daiz - Chihaya.jpg (240 KB, 1177x1177) Image search: [Google]
Fuck Daiz - Chihaya.jpg
240 KB, 1177x1177
>mfw a dist-upgrade fucked up my ffmpeg
I don't even remember why I built it separately in the first place. It's probably because of NVENC, HEVC, or some other shit.
>>
>>54472047
build it again then.
>>
>>54472061
I did. I get a
  WARNING: library configuration mismatch 
. I guess I have to remove some libraries installed or maybe even try out their implementation of ffmpeg.
>>
>>54472112
Re-configure before you re-make famalam
>>
>>54472131
I wrote up a small script to call other scripts for things that change daily. This one is from ffmpeg's.
sudo dpkg -r ffmpeg
sudo make uninstall
sudo make clean
sudo make distclean
sudo rm *.deb backup*.tgz
git pull
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --extra-cflags="-I/usr/include" --extra-ldflags="-L/usr/lib" --enable-gpl --enable-libass --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-nonfree --enable-version3 --enable-openssl --enable-gnutls --enable-libbluray
make -j4
sudo mkdir /usr/share/ffmpeg
sudo checkinstall
sudo apt-mark hold ffmpeg

I'll add the libraries on the configure part familia.
>>
About to switch to Debian Testing from Fedora, but I keep reading that the security (dev/updates) for testing is lackluster when compared to unstable and stable, anyone have any insight into this?
>>
>>54470752
They now use a custom protocol on top of MQTT which is supported in libpurple (thats pidgin), bitlbee etc
>>
>>54471821
Did you look at what log messages were getting spammed? Like the cause of those procs using so many cycles?
>>
>>54471930
put it in your path ... if you want it in you DE you need to create a .desktop file in the appropriate place for you stack, google that shit
>>
>>54471629
>but nothing happens
...what does this mean anon.
>>
>>54472163
Thanks for sharing anon. Will copy this and then I can watch x265 vids with mplayer so I don't have to deal with mpv jumping between screens when I go out of fullscreen.
>>
>>54472163
Why are you not installing to /usr/local?
>>
I installed arch on a laptop the other day. I basically followed a youtube video on how to install it. It was confusing as fuck. I wish I knew what I was doing. Is there some type of "arch for retards" guide out there?
>>
>>54472194
So they say testing has worse security than stable because when a update comes round that fixes a security bug the maintainer (hopefully in a timely manner) 1) uploads the updated package to experimental 2) pullse out a patch from that update and applies it to the stable version and releases that to stable/security.
So the stable/security one doesn't have to go through the normal migration from experimental->unstable->testing because they assume that there were no functional changes. When packages are just uploaded like normal they are tested to see if they build and interoperate with the rest of the system without raising any bug reports before migrating them to testing.
>>
>>54472275
.desktop files are in /use/share/applications
Just take a copy of one of the other files or go to the arch wiki and paste or if you use KDE, use the menu to create the file.
There might be translations, delete them all and it is a quite readable format.
>>
>>54472258
No the system was too slow to get anything working. I barely found out that those were the source of the problem before it forze up. I reinstalled stable so that I would have a working system and could try again, figuring that it was user error and the problem was avoidable.
>>
>>54472286
ok so it restarts and I get what I think is an error message it prints out something like [ .-* ]in red inside the brackets and says something got stopped cant remember exactly what it was that it said cos it was about a month ago
>>
>>54472352
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
>>
>>54472275
>put it in your path
???
>>
File: ram-424811_640.jpg (70 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ram-424811_640.jpg
70 KB, 640x360
>RAM: 90.5%
>SWAP: 66.7%
I need more RAM memory, right?
>>
>>54472575
>I need more RAM memory, right?
>I need more Random Access Memory memory, right?
Yes, you do.
>>
>>54472676
I'm sorry, bad translation.
Can you give a serious answer ignoring the double memory
>>
>>54472575
http://downloadmoreram.com/
>>
>>54472832
This only works on Windows.
>>
>>54472877
Oh well don't I feel like a dick :(
>>
>>54472814
More ram would be ideal
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Zswap
>>
>>54472933
I could not understand the relationship of zswap nor arch with my problem.

How much memory should I buy?
>>
>>54473000
Just get whatever is cheapest per GB, it will probably be 4GB or 8GB.
>>
>>54473026
NO!
The cheapest are companies with no reputation.
>>
>>54469906
What theme and icon pack is that?
>>
>>54473052
Cheapest name brand, whatevs.
>>
>>54473136
Thanks!
I'm planning to buy Corsair. OK?
>>
>>54473000
in addition to buying some chips, you can use zswap or zram to increase the effective capacity
>>
>>54473203
I'll consider. But they appear to be completely useless before having more RAM. Thank you anyway.
>>
So am I supposed to avoid systemd? As far as i can tell its just a popular daemon that most DE's are dependant on, specifically the gnome DE, which apparently goes against the unix philosophy.

I wanted to use debian but as far as i can tell theirs only beta forks that dont use systemd?
>>
>people who post how they're switching between distributions
>people who ask ridiculous questions which one is better for [case X]
>people claiming to be using linux for years and still asking that question

Why don't you idiots just use your computer?
>>
I'm having trouble figuring out how to customize i3. Should I just stick with using XFCE?
>>
>>54473377

No, eat an apple.
>>
>>54470553
dozens, maybe hundreds of youtube tutorials
also you are about 80% likely to fuck up and delete your windows partition entirely
it is a rite of passage in the linux community
then there's no going back
>>
>>54469063
Hello /fglt/, a question on updates:

Lurking /g/ I read constantly how "this update broke ___" or whatever about new packages etc.

Are updates for any given linux distro so vital that they need to be downloaded constantly?
Is it a security thing? Just an optimization thing?

Isn't anyone not just satisfied by the way whatever variant you're using is in its current version?

TL;DR
How important is updating in gnu/linux?
>>
Should i install debian on an ssd? Can it actually utilise it|
>>
>>54473529

That's a meme and a myth. I'm using a rolling release distribution, which means updates come in constantly. I have never had something "break". A few times things did cause issues, but most of the time it was an upstream issue that you'd have on Windows too if you downloaded the new version and it could be solved by downgrading the package until the upstream people fixed it.

When you use a non-rolling release distribution, he chances of that happening are even slimmer (non-existent), because you'd only be getting backported security updates).
>>
>>54473529
>Isn't anyone not just satisfied by the way whatever variant you're using is in its current version?
I'm not satisfied by incompatible old shit or shit with security flaws, hence the updates.
>>
>>54473563
I had serious problems in the past with updates. Software stopped working, or even I lost my OS with all my data.
>>
>>54473563
>>54473564
Righto, thanks /fglt/.
>>
I'm going to install Manjaro as my first distro and there is nothing you can do to stop me.
>>
>>54473574

When was that and what happened?
>>
>>54473372
You can run debian without systemd running and/or installed if you aren't running a DE: http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
But you don't gain much (I my case I am very familiar with sysvinit and can't be bothered learining sysD). Things you may gain with sysD: faster boot (I mostly just suspend so don't care), not having to avoid things that depend on it, ...?
>>
>>54473529
I only update my debian testing desktop every month or so. Security updates are more important on servers since those are the things that get attacked (unless you have flash or execute random shit downloaded from popup ads on porn sites).
I my experience though the longer you leave between updates the more chance there is of something getting a bit screwed.
>>
>>54473372

> am I supposed to avoid systemd?
Why don't you make up your own opinion? You don't even know anything about it and how its apparent faults could interfere with your usage. Yet you're already hesitating to install Debian and looking for something without systemd.
>>
>>54473541
Err yeah, it looks just like a HDD to the OS, but faster.
>>
>>54469475
If your a bit dodge on it just use gpg to verify it, surely they have a developer key
>>
>>54469426

>>54469575
>>54469424
> isup.me

>>54471759
just add ppa:atareao/telegram and install it via apt.

>>54472546
> /bin
> /usr/bin
> /usr/local/bin
pick one of them
>>
>>54473584
On Ubuntu 16.04 I can't open GNOME Software anymore, due to a bad update.
>>
>>54473678
so driver issues arent a thing, it will just show up as an hdd?
>>
File: ew.png (127 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
ew.png
127 KB, 1280x800
>someone thought this lightdm-gtk-greeter theme looked nice

Is Arc the new Numix?
>>
>>54473742
Well at least for SATA ones. I doubt the M.2 or whatever ones are any different.
>>
Just got an x220 for free and I am using Newrez to scale to 1600x900. This laptop is only really to be used for webdev stuff since my other laptop is a little better but not this portable.

I was looking to use a tiling WM for good efficiency and I would love to use something like Divvy which doesn't seem to exist on Linux. Apparently i3 doesn't allow me to have gaps, so what else will be the most eye-pleasing tiling WM available?
>>
will have to do some development on a linux machine soon, is there any major differences between the distros when it comes to dev tools?
i was thinking of going with debian, but i really have no idea
>>
Thinkpad users running Arch:
Did your tp_smapi module fail to load after a recent upgrade? I'm getting this message:

Failed to insert 'tp_smapi': Exec format error

Can someone confirm this before I report it as a bug?
>>
>>54474400

All of the major packages are available on all the distributions. The only difference might be the version numbers.
>>
Messing around on ubuntu with SSH and x forwarding.

Most things work but gufw does not for some reason. If I use gksudo gufw I get a password prompt which doesn't correspond with my password and with sudo gufw I get 'hangup' and nothing happens.

I'm using self made certificates and password authentication is disabled.
>>
>>54474467

Use ufw instead. The GUI is useless when the CLI version is as simple as that.
>>
How do I get the best GNOME 3 experience? I currently run Ubuntu GNOME. I've heard that Fedora is nicer for using GNOME.
>>
>>54474631
It's the same shit. You're just falling for fedora's advertising.
>>
>>54474419
Shit idk
>>
Job ad for junior UNIX technician wants someone who knows general unix.

What do you think is required?
>>
>>54473377
you can spend some hours trying to rice a windows manager, but if you don't want to bother, just install a DE. They can be customized easily.
>>
>>54474694
being comfortable with the CLI, being able to install a distribution, ssh, managing rights properly (not using chmod 777 as a retard), being able to configure a network, iptables...

Even if you don't know all that, you can just use google. that's what sys admins do mostly.
>>
>>54474791
Not him, but I've been wondering about this. Is being a sys admin just the most comfortable job in the word or what?
>>
>>54470256
Switched to debian from arch half a year ago and I am quite happy with unstable on my laptop and stable on my desktop.
>>
>>54474631
Anything that has the most up to date gnome 3.20
>>
>>54474691
>>54474419

Built the 0.42 version from source (the current one is flagged as out of date in the repos). It's working fine.
Basically, we just have to wait now for it to make it into the main repos.
>>
I'm trying to make qbittorrent-nox from source on ubuntu 14 and have a few problems.

I've been following:
>https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/wiki/Compiling-qBittorrent-on-Debian-and-Ubuntu

Everything works up until 'sudo make install' where I get
>/usr/include/boost/asio/error.hpp:247: undefined reference to `boost::asio::error::get_netdb_category()'

Wat do? I've been looking around for about an hour but not sure what's relevant to me or not.
>>
>>54474419
Did you reboot after updating?
>>
>>54474803
It is till shit hits the fan.They only care for your existance when something goes wrong,beyond that,yeah spend 8 hours dicking around doing 2 hours of maintence work.Go home and vpn and monitor everything from home.
its gg
>>
is it possible to chain tar and rsync together without first needing to write to file?
example: tar -czf FILES | rsync TARGET
>>
>>54475248
Don't use -f that takes the first argument as the dest file. Without it it will default to stdout.
Whether rsync works from stdin I don't know.
>>
>>54475150

Why are you building it from source and not installing the one from the repository?
>>
>>54475181

Yep, the module fails to load every time.
>>
>>54475341
I've been trying to do this so long I have forgotton why I'm doing it. I managed to somehow get it working now though.
>>
>>54475248
I was interested in this for other reasons too so I just spent some time looking it up

apparently you can use /dev/stdin as the file name which will basically read piped data. So I guess this might work:
>tar -cz FILES | rsync /dev/stdin TARGET
maybe
>>
>>54475440
But on second thought that might not work, since rsync might actually need to walk a directory tree and perform checks on individual files and stuff. Sending all the data in a stream just might not cut it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-10_06-20-58.png (175 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-10_06-20-58.png
175 KB, 1366x768
On the left you can see all my partitions, which I can mount, read and then write over using a simple live CD.

Fuck.
>>
>>54471121
>>54471141
Knowing C: is it relevant when learning GNU/Linux general (for scripting, bash, shell, kernel, terminal commands, etc.?)
>>
console being spammed with the following on my xfs array.I have defregged,repaired the array and it still continues to happen.during the error write/read speeds drop down to 1Mb/s.
What else can i do?

XFS: java(15797) possible memory allocation deadlock size 62352 in kmem_alloc (mode:0x2400240)
>>
I'm pretty new to the whole Linux scene but I've seen a lot of complaint about systemd, what is it and why is it so bad?
>>
>>54475930
It was created by satan in an attempt to make you deviate from the Unix way. Don't be fooled by his tricks.
>>
>>54475930
If you are new this is not the right thing to think about now. The problem is that it's monolithic. Basically.
>>
>>54476069
Thanks anon. I plan on using Linux mint. Been testing out on a VM for now. Glad its not something I should worry about.
>>
File: 12936487.jpg (57 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
12936487.jpg
57 KB, 832x690
Hello, /fglt/.

I've been trying to get Arch working on my new shitty laptop. It comes with shitty 30GiB SSD card and 2GiB RAM and I cannot get it to boot.

The install runs smooth but every time I boot it says "Cannot find the boot device".

1. I have disabled UEFI and Secure Boot. Legacy ROM is active

2. I enabled the nvme module in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (MODULES="NVME")

It still doesn't boot. What am I missing?

Currently running xubuntu in a different hard drive.
>>
>>54476301
how did you make the bootable drive?
did you try it with different inputs?
>>
>>54475745
No. The shell syntax is in the general C family though, just FYI.
>>
>>54475797
1) Stop using java 2) stop using xfs
>>
>>54476301
Chroot in from xubuntu and re-install grub and make sure it is using the uuid of the arch partition. Check /boot/grub/grub.cfg or some shit
>>
On the newer Radeon drivers, does anyone else get slowed down audio through HDMI and Display Port? Audio through the default PC speaker is fine, and audio on fglrx was fine, but after switching over to radeon, all of my sound is slow. I tried a few fixes like changing the scheduling, but that didn't seem to fix it and most google results are related to a similar issue using intel for graphics.

I'm still googling around, but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone here ran into this issue before. The solutions on the Arch wiki didn't seem to help either.
>>
>>54476527
To add on, I'm using Xubuntu 16.04, although this issue presented itself in a previous Arch and OpenSuse install, with radeon having slowed audio and fglrx outputting fine.
>>
>>54476366
I didn't even make a separate boot partition. I tried basic installation first and when it didn't work I changed the hook and ran mkinitcpio -p linux.
Didn't work. I never installed Arch on SSD before
>>54476484
I gave a --recheck argument while installing grub and no errors were reported.

I'll probably try it again
>>
>>54476555
>Oh ah right ... actually whatever grub boots to xubuntu *should* pick up the arch partition if osprober is working. Try regenerating the grub config and if that doesn't work maybe copy/paste the xubuntu config bit and change the label and HDD number?
>>
/fglt/ I have a problem

I have been given an iPad mini 2 by my uni for free- I'm not going to turn it turn, and I may as well take advantage of having it to watch videos and read books on the go. However, syncing itunes is unsupported in wine, so at the moment I am using my windows dual boot to do this. However, all of my files are on my linux partition- can I access them from my windows partition without putting them on a usb stick or similar?
>>
>>54474467
You shouldn't run gufw with sudo, it should use the polkit authentication agent you have.
>>
>>54476817
does gtkpod not work with it?
>>
Hi, so honey i just shrunk the disk, by 100gb using windows. Now do i leave to space unallocated or do i have to format it before installing linux?
>>
>>54476923

Never heard of it and haven't tried it, if it works then it's pretty much perfect I think
>>
>>54476943
leave it unallocated, most installers will detect the empty space automatically and offer you to install GNU/Linux alongside windows.
>>
>>54476943
leave it unallocated, linux uses filesystems that windows cannot create, you should get the option to select and format that partition during install
>>
>>54476977
>>54476986
thanks
>>
>>54476923

Now it doesn't seem as if it's still in development and also doesn't appear to have the most stellar of feedback, lots of crash and bug reports, not working etc
>>
Are there any diatros more lightweight than xubuntu that are still useable?

Also where are programs stored? Im trying to delete some but cant seem to from terminal
>>
>>54477422
apt-cache search
sudo apt-get purge
>>
>>54477422
the lightest GUI distro would probably be Lubuntu (LXDE).

and for uninstalling, it depends. it might be in the software center
>>
>>54477422
What do you mean by lightweight?
>>
can someone tell me how to modify this command to to always have four digits by adding zeroes? i.e 0001.jpg 0010.jpg 0100.jpg

i=1;for f in *.jpg; do mv "$f" "newname$i.jpg"; let i++; done

been searching for ages, but everyone is talking about advanced stuff way over my knowledge
>>
>>54477485
Low ram usage and takes up a small amount of space. I suppose thats more the DE than the distro though? Because essentially every distro is about the same just different de and preinstalled programmes?
>>
Are there any pros of using Iceweasel over original Firefox? I've seen some article saying that Iceweasel is there to provide latest security updates to Debian-Stable releases and does not include some copyrighted Mozilla artwork or something - like everything else is completely the same. Is that true?
>>
>>54477826
Yeah, also ice wrasle is dead, mozilla is allowing debian to use firefox branding
>>
>>54477826
this is true but about a month ago iceweasel became firefox again in unstable.
>>
>>54477836
>ice wrasle is dead
no...
>>
>>54477854
https://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel#Firefox_resumes_distribution_in_Debian
IceCat still exists
>>
>>54477536
mv "$f" "$(printf 'newname%04d.jpg' $i)"
>>
>>54477854
Yes...

You can only get it as an icon change now, probs due to attachment
>>
I've got 2 1tb HDDs, on one of them i have a windows partition that is filled with about 300gb of games/mods, on the other one i have a debian install without a separate home partition that has 400gb occupied right now. i bought a SSD i want to put debian on.
would the best way be a backup of /home into a seperate partition and a reinstall on the SSD and making /home on the current debian install and moving stuff from the backup there?
what should i do?
>>
File: 1443663270242.jpg (42 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1443663270242.jpg
42 KB, 1366x768
I've been using Ubuntu and later Debian for some years. I'm thinking about switching to Arch, simply because the AUR looks really comfy. Now, I see many memes on /g/ about Arch being autistic and breaking every day. Does it really break this much or can I switch to it and enjoy it without panic of breaking things? I already installed Arch in a VM, but tested it only some hours and have no idea about long term.
>>
>>54477536
Just use printf with the format specifier %04d (eg digit padded with 0 to width 4):
=1;for f in *.jpg; do echo mv "$f" "newname$(printf "%04d" $i).jpg"; let i++; done
>>
>>54477738
xfce should be light enough, but check your startup applications
>>
>>54477974
if you use a big DE like gnome or KDE it will probably break every now and then. if you use something with less changes and dependencies you will probably be fine. remember to never trust the AUR.
>>
I'm trying to install something with wine, but it's not working. The exe is fine:

r3wt@debian:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files$ WINEDEBUG=err+all wine LTspiceIV.exe  
Executing wine (wineserver64) 1.8.1 on Debian stretch/sid (amd64).
If something goes wrong, please rerun with "WINEDEBUG=err+all wine"
for more detailed debugging output.
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"MountMgr" failed to start: 2
wine: Bad EXE format for C:\Program Files\LTspiceIV.exe.
r3wt@debian:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files$
>>
So I just installed a DE on my my rapsbian jessie lite. You guys might think what a scrubnoob, but this was my first time installing/building up linux
>>
>>54478185
wow it just deleted the last part

** And I am super happy I succeded. I feel really good now. now I need to install a few applications such as a browser and change some settings like my keyboard layout and I am good to go :)
>>
>>54478101
run file on that exe and check it is 64bit. Not actually sure if you can't run 32bit programs in 64bit prefixes but maybe worth looking at ...
>>
>>54477929
>>54477982
thanks alot, it works!
>>
File: portable hame a2 router.png (96 KB, 1705x935) Image search: [Google]
portable hame a2 router.png
96 KB, 1705x935
Hame A2 anon from before.
I just flashed OpenWRT on my Hame A2 portable router.
I'm afraid it'll brick my router, but apparently everything is working fine.

The first package I installed is adblock.
Fuck yeah, no more ads from now.
I'm tired of blocking https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net's IP range on my router before.

Now that I've used it, OpenWRT is pretty cool.
Next, I just need to google how to make a wireless repeater with OpenWRT.

/blog
>>
Hey, is there a way to see that the system in sending and receiving?

Now a couple of general questions that i have, i'm using Fedora btw: /root is where all the programs and apps are installed/will be installed?
I was expecting the system to create separate partitions of my disk, instead it created a Linux LVM, why? Is it the best way to go? And what is the Linux filesystem that only has 524mb of space? What's the option to shrink a partition? If i install more RAM on my pc, should i increase the swap partition to the new amount of memory? How?

THanks,
>>
What exactly makes different distressed different from each other?

How do, let's say, Ubuntu and Fedora differ when running the same DE?
>>
>>54478955
the package manager and release model
>>
>>54478955
The logo.
>>
>>54477974
I'd try Sid first before moving to Arch.
>>
Make /g/ great again:
>>54478416
>>
>>54476438
1) Xfs is superior to ext4 and btrfs for large raid arrays.
2) Java,i cannot change how people create programs,with no other alternative to them.
>>
>>54470122
I'm seeing a lot of blank space in the middle of the page. I'm wondering if maybe you just click one of the links at the bottom after selecting a language.
>>
>>54470256
Arch on pretty much everything. It's very nice.
>>
>>54472352
the beginner's guide on the arch wiki makes it fairly easy

there's also architect if you want an ncurses installer (choosing actions with the arrow keys and learning more about what each step is than the actual commands used)
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.