[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CIS Major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
Any advice for a CIS Major?

I'm transferring from a CC to a 4 year next fall. So far I've learned C# & Java. I have my eyes set on C++ soon.

What other types of skills do I need to become employable?

I would like to work on developing programs.

pic unrelated
>>
>>54467702
dis cis scum
>>
>>54467724
ah, I was afraid of this...
>>
bumpo no pico
>>
F I N A L B V M B F OR A E S T H E T I C S
>>
>>54467702
do something math related for your minor.
>>
>>54468149
Are you suggesting that because you know CIS doesn't do a lot of math?
>>
>>54468183
exactly.
you're obviously too much of an idiot for actual computer science, but do calculus at some point. there's math related degrees that don't that might still help even if they don't involve calculus heavily as well.
>>
>>54468223

Why the fuck are you talking about calculus? It'd be more useful to learn combinatorics, graph theory, number theory, etc.

Although I suppose knowing calc I would be useful in general, but calc II is pretty useless for what he would do. calc III probably too, but not as useless as II would be. I'd say just do calc I so you can know a bit about calculus since sometimes you need to optimize basic functions, or integrate basic functions. Actually knowing how to integrate/differentiate could just be plugged into a computer, but knowing the concepts and what you can use it for can be useful.

I would still recommend doing graph theory/combinatorics over it, although I don't think your university would let you take that without calc I first.
>>
>>54468329
didnt know there were designated types of calc. And these numbers in calc are pretty much universal? So in the uni I end up in calc 1 and calc II would be the ones you describe?
>>
>>54468507

if you're in north america they're pretty much standardized.

Calc I: differentiation, basic integration (polynomials, u-sub, applicaitons of integration, limits, general calc stuff)

Calc II: shitload of methods of integration (trig-sub, integration by parts, improper integrals, etc, etc... sequences/series and tests for convergence, taylor series approximations of functions, random things like polar coordinates, complex numbers (if not covered earlier))

Calc III: vector calc/multivarible calc. line/surface integrals, double/triple integrals, cylindrical coordinates, partial derivatives (if not calc II), applications of multiple integrals (ie finding density, center of mass of shapes, rotational moments).

If you're outside of North America you might do it differently.

Note: Calc I and Calc II are taught during highschool as AP Calc AB and AP Calc BC respectively, if you take those.
>>
Calc 1 is kinda useful. It helps you prove the average case runtime of quicksort, for example, by approximating a nasty summation of logs with an integral.

It also helps with probability problems in computer science. (Systems performance analysis, for example.)

Other than that, combinatorics and math dealing with discrete numbers is where you want to be headed. It helps a LOT with programming.

As for languages, going from C#/Java to C++ will be a huge wake-up call. You'll need to understand completely everything that you're doing. I would highly recommend taking a course just for C++.
>>
>>54467702

I WANNA FUCK THAT WIND SO BAD
>>
>>54470211

can you get a job knowing that stuff?

seriously, I am not being sarcastic or ironic, I really wanna know that having that knowledge will give me a nice job with a good pay
>>
>>54470211
>C#/Java to C++

Java to C++, maybe
C#/Java to C, yes
C# to C++ (11/13) would be nearly indistinguishable
>>
>>54471354
are you saying it's easy to go to c++ if u know c#?
>>
>>54471321
definitely.

that said, calculus was the hardest class I ever took. Got a D twice in calc I (many places need a C or better to go further), because I didn't do enough of the homework. Many people have similar stories.

programming isn't easy shit. you have to take it seriously.
>>
>>54471799
>that said, calculus was the hardest class I ever too

Did you not take any real math courses...?

Calc I is pretty utterly trivial. Real Analysis I on the other hand...

or are you European and thus referring to analysis when you say calc? Like was it 100% proofs? (and not just basic delta-epsilon ones)
>>
>>54472771
it was calc 1. not everyone finds it effortless. good job with the condescension. You really sound like someone who knows what they're talking about.
>>
>>54471288
the sister is 1000x better
>>
>>54472835

Did you study? I could see if you didn't study at all, since lots of people can be used to highschool and not doing much work, then bomb calc I and calc II due to not studying at all. Although I think that happens more with calc II than calc I.
>>
>>54472856
pedo pls go
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.