[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best messaging app? ALSO What is the best anonymous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: default.png (380 KB, 750x405) Image search: [Google]
default.png
380 KB, 750x405
What is the best messaging app?

ALSO

What is the best anonymous messaging app?
>>
i've heard telegram is pretty good.
>>
Whatever your friends use.
In my case, I want to use telegram but I use whatsapp.
>>
>>54465806
They use facebook messenger I refuse. Also whatsapp but I hate it because it's owned by facebook.

I'm asking this because I just found this out and I'm pretty pissed off about it.
>>
For the last year or so most people I know have migrated to using facebook messenger for most of the social messaging. Whatsapp hasn't changed much for quite a long time and the UI feels outdated. For SMS (non-internet) messaging I prefer Googles' "Messenger" app, but I have to say I haven't done much exploring for other options
>>
whatsapp
wickr
>>
>>54465869
Probably a lot of you will not like my preferences since this is /g/. I personally do not care for botnets/privacy
>>
>>54465830
This >>54465806. If your friends use Whatsapp and you don't like and install another, say Telegram, you'll be alone talking to yourself.
>>
Telegram for the win. Whatsapp is ugly, slow and misses quite a few functions (image url previews etc)
>>
>>54465780
Any tips on convincing friends to migrate to Telegram from Messenger?
>>
>>54465780
Signal and Tox
>>
>>54465996
Show them Telegram's app size. Show them Telegram's stickers. Show them Telegrams bots. Show them Telegram's UI.
>>
WhatsApp with most friends, Messenger (Google) with other friends, Messenger (Facebook) if someone who doesn't have my phone number wants to message me.
>>
>tfw friends are all too stubborn to switch from fb messenger
>>
File: 0k1PoQV.jpg (100 KB, 750x722) Image search: [Google]
0k1PoQV.jpg
100 KB, 750x722
Whats the difference between Line and Telegram?

they look exactly the same aside from having obvious gook overlords...
>>
I use Whats app and Telegram but i prefer Telegram
>>
>>54465780
IDK
A sharpie and the farmost stall in a truckstop bathroom.
>>
>>54466514
>he doesn't know about the truckstop botnet
>>
Me and my friends use Telegram and Snapchat. Neither of which are probably the most secure.
>>
>>54466446
One is chink botnet, the other one russian botnet
>>
>>54465780
>What is the best anonymous messaging app?
Telegram or Signal over Orbot
>>
Just use whatsapp
>>
>>54465780
>What is the best messaging app?
Apart from vendor lock-in, iMessages.

- End-to-end encryption by default for everything - Most responsive and using minimal resources
- Can do both instant messaging and sms at once
- Supports the most filetypes (voice/video/gifs, PDFs, contacts, work/excel/iwork documents, etc.).

Also, not owned by FB or any other advertising agency that supports itself by selling your data.

Other than that, WhatsApp, because end-to-end encryption, snappy interface and not a battery hog, and popularity after iMessages.
>>
>>54465780
Whichever one you like the most, everyone uses Whatsapp so you're stuck with it. I like Telegram the most but only one autistic friend uses it.
>>
File: 1462470859479.gif (4 MB, 382x162) Image search: [Google]
1462470859479.gif
4 MB, 382x162
>>54466531
>>
I really like Viber. It has flaws but I find it really comfortable to use. I got used to it when I lived in the Philippines, everyone uses it there.

Most of my encrypted messaging happens on mIRC using FiSH. It's not really anonymous though. Been using that since like 2004? Post fastlink.
>>
File: LibreSignal.jpg (12 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
LibreSignal.jpg
12 KB, 220x220
>>54465780
LibreSignal

https://fdroid.eutopia.cz
>>
File: unnamed.png (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
17 KB, 300x300
Signal:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.thoughtcrime.securesms
>>
Mf: kik Skype snapchat other bs. I hate all of them.
>>
>>54466787
>Google Play Store
Leave.
>>
>>54466746
>>54466896
fuck off librefag
>>
>>54465780
XMPP
>>
On the topic of apps, what would you recommend for listening to and managing music on android.
>>
>>54466996
I usually just use the LG one that came with my phone. I owned a Sony one before and theirs was even better. I occasionally use Google Play Music as well. I have a subscription and sometimes I end up listening to the songs on my phone with it in addition to the streaming stuff.
>>
>>54466919
>But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.
>>
>>54465780
Hangouts
>>
>>54466996
FOOBAR
>>
>>54466996
Poweramp.

I use WhatsApp.
>>
>>54466663
>end to end encryption
you mean SSL?
whats special about that?
>>
IRC
>>
>>54465780
Line
>I talk to a lot of people in Japan, that's all they use.
>kakao sucks
>>
How is this a discussion?

You have to use what other people use. Fucking weirdo.
>>
>>54465780
facebook messenger. imessage. snapchat for perving
>>
>What is the best messaging app?
Telegram.

>What is the best anonymous messaging app?
None.
>>
>>54467526
They're both shit t͏͏b͏͏h
>>
>>54467865
They are.
Line's okay, but...
>>
WhatsApp, because everyone in my country uses it.
>>
>>54465806
>/thread
You can use whatever you want, but if friends don't use it, it's useless for you too.

You do have friends, don't you anon?
>>
>>54465780
Best messaging app is probs whatsapp

Most secure and anonymous is Signal
>>
A-anyone use Trillian? It filled the hole in my heart that MSN left...
>>
Wickr
>>
everyone I know use whatsapp

for instance, I have to use whatsapp
>>
>>54466579
>LINE
>made by the nip division of a gook internet giant
>chink botnet
>>
>>54465780
This is such a /g/ question to ask. You use whatever is popularly used in your family/ school/ job/ community. Most people around me use either Whatsapp or Line (but usually both).
>>
Discord
>>
>>54466996
Black player
>>
I tried convincing people to use Telegram but failed. So stuck with WeChat and Whatsapp for the time being.
>>
>messenger for general communication with friends
>wapp for girls texting and 1on1 texting
>instagram for texting random girls
>twitter messages for texting random girls
>kakao for texing 1 girl
>line just because old QA job
>skype because business
>viber because mom
>slack because random group of local devs using that
>hipchat because job
>hangouts for daily company video meetings

This shit with messaging apps is getting way out of the hands.
>>
>>54475090
>kakao for texing 1 girl
i know this fuckin feel, fuckin koreans.
>>
Surespot
>>
I have Skype and Viber but I almost never use them.
>>
>facebook messenger because friends are in love with KIKEBOOK
>Whatsapp friends from highschool / family

That's it.
>>
File: GuardianProject.png (467 KB, 865x667) Image search: [Google]
GuardianProject.png
467 KB, 865x667
>>54465780

Is it possible to anonymize whatsapp?

I'm thinking of a virtualized cloud instance stored on separate memory with a spoofed or cloned number proxified through tor/vpn

Has anyone tried guardian project

https://github.com/guardianproject
>>
4chan.org
>>
>>54479006

Yeah, it's just nobody addressed the anonymous component of messaging which is the whole point of 4chan (philosophically)

I'd rather ask and be called a fool, than underestimate

Anonymizing whatsapp sounds great to me

Then google would put their own anti scraping service just like they did with scroogle
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.