[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Roller Coasters are technology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: programming-400x267.jpg (123 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
programming-400x267.jpg
123 KB, 400x267
Ask a roller coaster designer anything
I do the software and machine coding behind logic and safety features of various high-intensity rides

Pic somewhat related
>>
>>54463538
Put a tiny bug in the code that causes every 10,000th ride to crash
>>
>>54463584
That sounds like a bad idea. And the layout of source code isnt just independent files. You need to edit jumerous files and config settings to make changes. It's very intricate and would involve more than just a snippet.
>>
Hellooo is this thing on? *tap tap tap*
>>
>>54463538
So is it all microcontroller code for the various timers and belt pulling machines, or is it more complex than that?
Does it have an API that other park software uses to control it, or is it a giant enterprise abstractfactory java hell written by outsourced pajeets?
>>
It's safe to say that if you fuck up you can expect numerous people to die or have sever injuries, right?
>>
>>54463538
Do you use Rockwell or Siemens or some other shit?
>>
>>54463641
>jumerous
>>
>>54463538
Do you use Java?
>>
>>54463929
Its a proprietary internally managed service unique to each park. There are central maintenance hubs for detecting broken rides, sort of like an API.
>>54463902
Siemens.
>>54463929
Not really. Its mostly Verilog for mechanical side, C for logic.
>>
>>54463538
Any cool stories or anything you find interesting about programming for coasters?
>>
We run insane amounts of tests. We also sign an agreement that says we arent responsible for any injuries. That falls to the test crew, since its their job to ensure passenger safety.

>>54464159
They arent worth as much as you think, for starters. Parks tend to buy parts from the lowest bidder. When a ride is "down" it's them replacing their cheap parts because it saves them a ton when they buy in bulk.
>>
>>54464063
Has VBScript ever caused suicidal thoughts? And since you work with Siemens i assume you're located in Europe?
>>
>>54464204
Im at a major theme park in the USA.
>>
>>54463538
Is it true that you code everything in x86 asm
>>
>>54464231
That isn't very patriotic of them.

I'm in my last year doing an MBO4 (community college tier) mechatronics degree right now and working an internship programming Siemens PLC's. Do you have any advice for getting a job in this industry or in programming generally? My work with them is focused on the oil industry for the most part, if that makes a difference.
>>
>>54463836
>a giant enterprise abstractfactory java hell written by outsourced pajeets?

ahahaahahah
>>
So you compile to what they call PLCs? I'm doing CS now and embedded has always appealed to me so I might try to get into something like that.
>>
>>54463925
>my down syndrome addled brain can't handle a simple typo

Kill yourself, retard.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.