[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anti-virus really protect us? and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: antivirus.png (24 KB, 1441x1440) Image search: [Google]
antivirus.png
24 KB, 1441x1440
Does anti-virus really protect us? and why?
>>
>>54462338

Yes and Dunno.
>>
Does a sheet of paper protect against a 45 to the chest? Yes, doesn't mean it's useful. An AV software simply isn't enough to protect retards from themselves anymore. There's always some spyware, some trojan, some ransomware, some adwares, it's a worthless effort for the most part.
>>
>>54462338
Brain and common sense >*
>>
>>54462553
what do you mean?
>>
>>54462338
No, but the NSA does. <333
>>
anti virus doesnt work. you dont they have anti virus programs enabled when they are running their scripts?
>>
>>54462574
It's le epic joke, you always post it in a AV thread to show everyone how memey you are, it's epic like other le epic jokes like "le Mario psychedelic shrooms".
>>
>>54462642
Definitely not a joke.. if you use your brain and have common sense with computers, you really don't need anti-virus software.

>Just an opinion
>>
>>54462750
Posting le common sense in every thread discussing AV software, even in one such as this, is le ebin meme. The thread isn't even about the necessity of antivirus software, it's about their efficiency, so you memed wrong.
>>
What if I don't trust myself and my knowledge? What does /g/ recommend?
>>
>>54462750
woah meme some more
>>
File: 1456692190409-1.jpg (19 KB, 238x291) Image search: [Google]
1456692190409-1.jpg
19 KB, 238x291
>>54462517
I don't think you know the meaning of the word "protect" anon.
>>
>>54462338
No, antivirus companies make new viruses every day in order to sell their product. Do you really think there are thousands of new malware made by some hobbyists hackers every day?
>>
>HE DOESN'T USE LINUX, OS X, OR CHROME OS
>HE ACTUALLY HAS FLASH INSTALLED
>HE DOESN'T BLOCK ALL JAVASCRIPT
>>
>>54462840
I mean protect as a synonym for defend, a defense doesn't have to be impervious, there is such a thing as "bad/insufficient defense", and a sheet of paper is as bad as it gets. It works (according to physics), but it doesn't works according to human subjectivity (it is of no practical use).
>>
what's a free retard-proof anti virus?
needs to be silent
>>
>>54462983
>retard-proof
Doesn't exist. It's easy to protect against viruses and trojans, nearly any AV will do. The problem is they're useless for what every retard ends up doing most of the time, which is installing a million adwares, homepage hijackers, toolbars and shit.
>>
>>54462983
I would say Avast free, but it's becoming annoying to me lately and the added features bugging you to turn them on is fucking annoying.

The fact that they want you to pay to turn off pop ups is beyond ludicrous.

Anyone offer any alternatives?
>inb4
>common sense 2016
>JS cockblock errthang
>uninstall flash, never install flash
>ADB, ADB+, UB, UBo etc.
>>
>>54463057
is a cracked avast from torrent a bad option? I mean, does it work as a original one?
>>
>>54463160
Don't know, I've been thinking of doing that.
But Avast wasn't a pita back then as it is now.
I might give it a run.
>>
>>54462338
yes
>>
>>54463160
>cracked antivirus
Nigger please........
>>
>>54463356
what!?
>>
>>54463057
360ts or bitdefender free are the only good options, anon. Everything else has tons of popups, shitty UIs (by which I mean e.g. clunky whitelisting/undoing auto-quarantines), more memes than good content, etc
>>
>>54463706
free bitdefender needs an email to use last time I checked
at least it does its thing in the background though
>>
>>54463057
I use ClamWin, but I'm open to suggestions, too
>>
>>54462517
I need a image for the /g know it all posting kit.
>>
>>
>>54462553
True, but that alone can't be enough; having an AV isn't even much a burden, so why not installing it?
>>
>>54462903
You forgot blocking ads which can lead to malware. However in Windows all of this is not enough.
>>
>>54462808
Traditionals AV aren't a good solution, some AV with a deny-policy behaviour are recommended. I know Comodo does this and it's free.
>>
>>54463160
since it's not really a crack but a password generator, it's not that bad I guess

you can download from the official site and then activate
>>
File: box_IS_EN.png (510 KB, 788x949) Image search: [Google]
box_IS_EN.png
510 KB, 788x949
>>54462338
Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 or Trend Micro Maximum Security 10, you can buy them for cheap on ebay and never had a problem.
Just my 2 cent.
>>
File: aaaaa.png (104 KB, 1204x532) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa.png
104 KB, 1204x532
>>54464166
The reason Comodo is not much popular altough a good and free suite is because sites such as AV-TEST make their score based on detection of known malware, while the unknown 0-day are the most important. Now look at this overall score.
>>
I just don't want a crypto locker
>tfw osu runs like shit on linux
>stuck on Windows

I have common sense 2016, professional edition, uBlock origin, scripts disabled, flash uninstalled, and avast antivirus but I'm paranoid it just isn't enough. Also avast is shit. Runs slow and my PC gets bogged down.

Wat do?
>>
File: 376_inane_richard_stallman.jpg (138 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
376_inane_richard_stallman.jpg
138 KB, 900x675
>>54462903
>>HE DOESNT BLOCK ALL JAVASCRIPT
>ALL
>>
>>54464365
Install avira, its light at cpu usage and it detects more viruses-

But the fact that you are paranoid can't be help, relex, make backups
>>
>>54464921
>relex
ayy. I mean relax
>>
>>54464531
Do websites today even still work with javascript turned off?
>>
>>54464365
Make backups you dumb shit
>>
>>54465038
H-how? I don't havw the space or money for external drives
>>54464921
Thanks, I'll look into that.
>>
Panda antivirus is pretty good for being free. You should get that one.
>>
File: john_mcafee.jpg (477 KB, 1200x794) Image search: [Google]
john_mcafee.jpg
477 KB, 1200x794
The free ones are shit but the paid ones are good because you know... if people pay for your product it will motivate you to improve it both to retain customers but also attract new ones. I use McAfee myself because it is simply the best you can get for your money.
>>
>>54464199
fuck bitdefender
I had Ultimate Security and was quite happy with it, but my license ran out so I had to use Internet Security. but this fucking piece of trash lets my PC take 3 fucking minutes to boot up!
not only that, it also lets my whole pc lagg like shit when I download something(this is a common issue btw. and unfixable, unless you want to create a serious security leak)
at least I did never pay for any of their licenses and just used those free 1 year vouchers

I hope I can switch back one day, because Avira is also big garbage and most of the times it just doesn't want to start
>>
>>54462338
>Does anti-virus really protect us? and why?

No.

Anti-viruses are inherently flawed in that they're signature based and it is incredibly easy to bypass them. Virustotal is doing good work in the field I guess but still it's hardly useful.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.