[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /g/'s honest opinion on the whole GNU vs Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: jCeRsG.jpg (69 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
jCeRsG.jpg
69 KB, 768x1024
What is /g/'s honest opinion on the whole GNU vs Windows arguement?
>>
windows = buttnet
>>
>the user looses from stallman
I am on the Free Software side.
But Free Software is often ported to Windows, excluding where Microsoft themselves have made it illegal or technically infeasible.
In that sense, Stallman shouldn't be pointing the cannon towards the user at all.
>>
>>54461765
I'm not too keen on the free software movement. But Linux, and other free software help my home server and other things run well. Though I also use plex, instead Of the shitty emby, and always had a soft spot for vmware

I thoroughly enjoy the ongoing hissy fit gnuturds about the /flt/ vs /fglt/ arguments. I'll probably stop lurking there and see if the arguments redditors have about linux are any better
>>
>>54461765
Every side is incompetent.
>>
>>54461765
I didn't mind Windows until Win10.
>>
>>54461765
Both are shit in their own ways that are well known so I don't need to repeat them. For 99% of my own personal use, I can stomach GNU/Linux's brand of shit better than Windows.

I don't care that others choose differently. Ideally, people should be well-rounded and know how to operate/administer Windows, Linux, and OSX.

In certain use cases (i.e. my job and what little gaymen I do once or twice a month at home), I can and do use Windows.

The only crime is ignorance and valuing dogma over choosing the right tool (OS) for whatever task you have at hand.
>>
>>54461765
>trusting the feminist software foundation
>>
You can install Ubuntu's distribution of GNU inside Windows so there's no point to Windows vs GNU now in my humble but correct opinion.
>>
>>54461765
>GNU vs Windows arguement

what?
>>
>>54462887
dumb tripfag cancer end yourself finally
>>
>>54461765
GNU 4 lyfe; free software till I die.
>>
>gnu+linux
>try to do something
>it takes hours and getting an anal abscess from straining it because of the stress and anger

>windows
>try to do something
>get your files encrypted with aes-2048 and held for buttcoins, get a blue screen of death and processor frying, get a SWAT raid for talking shit about bill gates and his OS
>>
GNU is a good idea but it lacks a good selection of software, which is why I stick with wangblows
>>
There isn't really a compelling reason to use Linux other than on low spec hardware, and Windows 10 with classic shell is the best OS available.

Linux isn't nearly fleshed out enough to seriously compete with Windows in the desktop / laptop space, and the lack of software compatibility will always mean Windows is preferred.

Aside from that, the MS Office stack has functionality that just isn't there in the free alternatives, and Excel can't be replaced.

Horses for courses: Windows is king of the workplace, Linux is a neat tool for the hobbyist and tinkerer.
>>
I like the idea behind the FSF movement. Users should have the freedom to do what they want with their software as long as they don't remove the freedom from others.
>>
File: we wuz programms nsheeit.png (1 MB, 1300x4704) Image search: [Google]
we wuz programms nsheeit.png
1 MB, 1300x4704
>>54461765
see >>54462345
It's not that GNU is good (it isn't), it's that Windows is far worse.
Unstable bloatware and unmaintained arcane bullshit for days.
>>
>>54463180
>The hobbyist and the tinkerer
I've never understood this. I've used debian for a long time, and the only thing I've ever had to do is upgrade my system. Iceweasel is installed OOTB. So is gedit. So is everything else.
>>
>>54461765
> honest opinion
> implying we actually don't want you to install gentoo

Yes OP, see it's all been this inside joke. Everyone actually uses XP here. Linux is for cucks.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.