[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw installing Windows 10 after 1.5 years of using nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: 1462007945444.jpg (17 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1462007945444.jpg
17 KB, 225x225
>tfw installing Windows 10 after 1.5 years of using nothing but Debian and Arch
>tfw actually feeling like I'm using a computer again
>tfw never again having to debug PulseAudio
>tfw never again looking at mailing lists to get your computer working

Glorious, Thank You, Steve Ballmer
>>
>>54457891
>>tfw never again having to debug PulseAudio
It just works, have never had to do anything with it.
>>tfw never again looking at mailing lists to get your computer working
What?

I'm sorry Rajeesh but this is no good. Re-do this shilling thread, it is worthless to us. 50 rupees have been DEDUCTED from your account.
>>
>>54457905
>works on my machine :')
>>
frogposters making dumb decision, is it news yet?
>>
A LOW RES PEPE HAS APPEARED
>>
>>54457923
It literally does
>>
File: 1460695978041.jpg (47 KB, 580x346) Image search: [Google]
1460695978041.jpg
47 KB, 580x346
>>54457905
Linbabby just wipe your drive and install Windows like I did today. I feel like I'm finally sitting at the big boy table with all these real programs. No more "startx" and attempting to use a server OS for desktop use.
>>
>>54457891
>Debian and Arch

lol, you should have used Mint instead, because it just werks
>>
>>54457945
>Linbabby just wipe your drive and install Windows like I did today.

Why would I do that? This fills my needs and I don't want to pay $100 to install inferior, non-free software.

>I feel like I'm finally sitting at the big boy table with all these real programs

Such as? I have everything I need.
>>
File: 1462415952898.jpg (28 KB, 404x267) Image search: [Google]
1462415952898.jpg
28 KB, 404x267
>>54457956
>mint just werks
>>
File: 1462482037164.png (133 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1462482037164.png
133 KB, 1000x1000
>>54457988
>Such as? I have everything I need.

This just tells me right away that you don't actually do much with your computer except use it as a 4chan browsing/anime watching machine. You can't really do very many productive things with Linux, and all the productive things you can do with it can also be done, if not better, on Windows. Pretty much you can assume that anyone using Linux as a desktop OS is doing very little with their lives (NEET), and doubly so for those who brag about how much they have no need for real software.
>>
>debug pulseaudio
Calling bs
>>
>>54458025
>This just tells me right away that you don't actually do much with your computer except use it as a 4chan browsing/anime watching machine

Same to you though. You post on 4chan trying to convince others not to use software for some reason and have pictures of frogs saved on your computer, let's be real here.

>You can't really do very many productive things with Linux, and all the productive things you can do with it can also be done, if not better, on Windows

Name some. I'm waiting.
>>
File: 1461473581291.jpg (55 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
1461473581291.jpg
55 KB, 416x416
>>54458058
>You post on 4chan trying to convince others not to use software for some reason and have pictures of frogs saved on your computer, let's be real here.

How dare you. I'm a high level engineer for SpaceX. Just because I post on 4chan in my few spare hours doesn't make me a degenerate like you.

>Name some. I'm waiting.

Well, the only thing people use Linux for that's vaguely productive is writing code, but then again ALL the "Linux" tools like emacs, vim, gcc, et cetera are all available natively on Windows as well, in addition to all of the Windows programming tools and environments, like Visual Studio or LispWorks.

What USEFUL programs can run on Linux but not Windows?
>>
>>54458125
>What USEFUL programs can run on Linux but not Windows?

I dunno, I'm not trying to convince you to switch. I don't care what you use as long as it suits your needs. And Gnu/Linux suits mine.

>Well, the only thing people use Linux for that's vaguely productive is writing code, but then again ALL the "Linux" tools like emacs, vim, gcc, et cetera are all available natively on Windows as well, in addition to all of the Windows programming tools and environments, like Visual Studio or LispWorks

I am not a software developer tho, I am Economics major and I only do webdev and some opensource stuff as a hobby.
>>
>>54458035
Alsa and Pulse audio don't place nice with latops and prebuilt systems where components are soldered on motherboard. The alternative is to get a sound card and GPU whose drivers plays nice with Linux. A small investment for a lifetime of free software and no more Windows bullshit.

Sadly I am broke and can't afford a new computer. My laptop sound does not work on Linux.
>>
That's the equivalent of saying a console 'just werks' compared to a PC gaming rig.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.