[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Archer C9 Review
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: 71NnRWGT96L._SL1500_[1].jpg (67 KB, 987x1500) Image search: [Google]
71NnRWGT96L._SL1500_[1].jpg
67 KB, 987x1500
So I just typed this up and lost my entire review. So if it feels rushed, I apologize. I'm just trying to hit the main points, since now I have to retype everything. I asked you guys for $100 or less router, and after a productive thread, I got the TP-Link Archer C9 that was on sale for $110, seeing as it hit everything I needed.

Some notes:

>E4200 v1 was the router that was replaced.
>I haven't changed the firmware, so it's whatever it was out of the box.
>I don't use 5Ghz since my main PC doesn't, so if you want some tests let me know.

First off, from the E4200 v1, a HUGE range boost. I live in a large house and my room is the second farthest from the router. With the E4200, in my bed, I would hit 2-10mbps down (I have a 100 mbps down connection). I would turn Wi-Fi off because the cell network was faster (20-30 mbps down). Now laying in my bed, I hit 60-70 mbps, which is great. Even the furthest room in the house has a similar connection, so it's working great. Near the router you can hit 80-90, so it's utilizing the connection to the fullest. Even near the E4200, you could only hit like 60-70.

Guest network has up to 64 clients, a nice boost from the 10 that the E4200 (stock firmware) had. Look forward to using that.

Cont...
>>
>>54455843

The UI is clean. 3 main tabs: Quick Setup, Basic, Advanced. Quick Setup, you set like the Wi-Fi pass, date, and that sort of thing. Basic has settings for WAN connection, turning 2.4/5Ghz Wifi bands on/off and changing the passwords/SSID, USB settings, and guest network. Advanced tab, you have all the nooks and crannies. You get Channel selections for the Wi-Fi bands, WPS, Guest Network specifics like access time, DHCP settings, USB settings, NAT boost, port forwarding, DMZ, security/firewall, parental controls, bandwidth control, IP & Mac binding, DDNS, IPv6 settings, firmware upgrades, router access, etc. I have a philosophy of minimalism in regards to change, so I tweak things as little as needed, and so far, it seems like this firmware/UI should do everything I need so far. I can find specific settings if you want to see them.

One big thing that happened. I had setup the router and everyone connected. I was on a big skype call and my connection just dropped for my computer. I couldn't get it going until I changed the channel for 2.4Ghz from auto to 6 (least congested in my area). Haven't had any problems since.

Also, one thing of note: tp-link.com and tp-link.us offer different firmware. COM offers some options while US only has the firmware currently on my router (so no updates). I'll investigate and probably contact them to see if I can use anything from the COM.

The box came with a mini CD that I didn't use (I use the web interface), a CAT 5 cable, and some booklets.

Overall that's it. I have a word doc with all my changes, and they are: SSID change, password change, turn off WPS, change the 2.4Ghz from Auto to 6, and changing the time zone. That's it. Everything else is great. So far I am really happy, so thank you guys again for the help. I'll stick around for a bit and answer any questions I can.
>>
File: QVk01O[1].png (68 KB, 1149x775) Image search: [Google]
QVk01O[1].png
68 KB, 1149x775
>>54455848

Here are some pics of the menus.
>>
File: j25t3q[1].png (40 KB, 1019x777) Image search: [Google]
j25t3q[1].png
40 KB, 1019x777
>>54455865

Advanced Menu
>>
File: hbdFMt[1].png (49 KB, 1042x750) Image search: [Google]
hbdFMt[1].png
49 KB, 1042x750
>>54455904

What Quick Setup looks like.
>>
>>54455971

I think that covers about everything. I'll stick around for a bit, so if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask away.
>>
>>54456001

I was actually set this router up for my parents at their house about a year ago. Looks like it's a set it and forget it kind of ordeal. no problems ever since, although the range it's covering isn't exactly huge and they only use a handful of devices.
>>
>>54456340

Yeah, in comparison to what's in the market, the range isn't anything to write home about, but from where I was coming from to what I have now thanks to the C9 is perfect. I'm really happy about it. If you live in an apartment building or some home that is absurdly long, it might not live up to expectation, but for a person in an average home, it should do great.
>>
>>54455865
that looks pretty like asuswrt desu
>>
>>54455843
I think I remember you. Told you to get the C7, but you saw the C9 for just a hair over budget.

You really should update the firmware, though.
>>
File: 1459408303109354.jpg (44 KB, 1000x468) Image search: [Google]
1459408303109354.jpg
44 KB, 1000x468
Best router around $50 mark?
>>
>>54459171
What performance difference is there from c7 vs c9? More RAM
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.