[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are ppl on /g/ who overpaid for SSD's because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 41y2cKThChL._SY300_.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
41y2cKThChL._SY300_.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>there are ppl on /g/ who overpaid for SSD's because the OS they used was optimized and was slow as fuck or driver issues caused problems

>windows 10 is fast as and my WD Black is negligible to my SSD minus having to worry about the life cycle or anything else since the computer is protected by a UPS so it'll run fine for years

>prior to this i had I/O issues when mass downloading files or doing multiple tasks that involved R/W'ing and thought it was the HDD, now on w10 it runs as smooth as butter, zero issues.
>>
>>54453311
Should had used GNU/Linux since the first day, instead of the hacked to hell shit that's NTFS and Windows
Enjoy your 255 character limits
>>
Do people actually still keep their OS on a hard drive?
>>
>>54453311
no im not falling for that meme mr. shecklestein
>>
>>54453509
sup memer. how does it feel being most retarded tech-illiterate imbecile on this planet?
>>
yawn
>>
>>54453553
>>54453545
>>
>1TB WD Black
You fell for the biggest meme of them all. Blue is faster at 1TB because it doesn't have all the autistic garbage WD uses to justify their overpriced line while having the same functional specs otherwise.
>>
>>54453311
>>windows 10 is fast as and my WD Black is negligible to my SSD

for sequential read *MAYBE* if you buy a shitty a shitty ssd or bought a ssd as they were just coming out - even the cheapest of the cheap ssds offer 250/250~ mbps read/write on the low end nowadays (which is about what wd blacks or ANY 7200rpm sata drive top out as far as read/write performance goes), and it's not that expensive of an upgrade to get 500/500~ mbps ssds or better

however the selling point of ssds has *ALWAYS* been (near) zero seek time which is a *SIGNIFICANT* improvement as far as performance goes - something you retards do not understand is that sequential read/write is not the only important metric of a drive's performance, there's zero issues with reading/writing to multiple files, and there's zero issues if the filesystem is heavily fragmented

>minus having to worry about the life cycle or anything else

ssds fail gracefully and allow you to read once the write limit is reached (>500-800tb on decent ssds) (unless, again, you bought a shitty cheapest of the cheap ssd with a shitty outsourced controller - you get what you pay for, wd blacks are some of the best consumer 7200rpm drives you can buy) -- hdds do not fail gracefully

>prior to this i had I/O issues when mass downloading files or doing multiple tasks

issues that ssds do not have

>and thought it was the HDD,

it IS the harddrive, operating system implementing kinder i/o queueing does nothing to resolve the underlying issue and is only a solution for reading/writing to files that are close on the filesystem

tl;dr fuck off you retarded shill, using ssds and hdds are not mutually exclusive and they usually do not serve the same purpose
>>
>>54453553
What kind of SSD do you have?
>>
>>54453311
Reminder that 8.1 has the same performance enhancements, minus almost all of the botnet. In fact 8.1 runs a bit faster due to lack of botnet bogging it down.
>>
>>54453848
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drive. The 250GB model.
>>
Are WD Green drives any good?
Rumors are they tend to fail decently fast
>>
>>54454808
It's mainly due to the aggressive head parking they have, once you disable that their longevity is much better, still not really good though
>>
>>54454808
No. Really bad.
>>
>>54454808
>>54454825
Small sample size and all, but I got two of the 2 TB Greens about 6 years ago. One failed after 5 years and the other is still going strong. They're both in a Linux based NAS. The failed one was running constantly and had frequent accesses, and I replaced it when the relocated/pending sector counts got into the hundreds. I think I lost a total of 1.5 MB out of a nearly full 2 TB. The one that's still good gets to spin down a good bit of the time.

I've replaced the dead one with a Red, which ought to be better suited to my use case.
>>
File: nvme950pro.png (43 KB, 413x373) Image search: [Google]
nvme950pro.png
43 KB, 413x373
>>54453553

>tfw bottle neck is at my gpu
>>
OP simply does not know how good life is on the other side.
>>
>>54453311
Finally someone gets it. I was confused as to why my Windows using friends went so wild for them but I never noticed any difference until I tried Windows on each device. Windows on an SSD is like Bloatbuntu on an HDD
>>
>>54454825
>>54454942
Well damn
>>
>>54453311
>there are ppl on /g/ who still fall for this bait that's literally the same thing reposted over and over again day in and day out

what is with SSD shills and being so insecure about their storage medium that they will jump on even the slightest dissent to their shitty marketing slogans and regurgitated pastas?
>>
>>54455311
Sorry you're too poor to afford an SSD.
>>
>>54455340
>SSDs are expensive
where do you get these memes from? 2009?
my desktop runs a pair of 200GB SAS SSDs, I keep a little 50GB in my X200 for shock proofing and extending battery life
>>
>>54453572
The reason people buy Blacks are the 5-year warranty.

On a side note out of context this sentence sounds extremely racist
>>
>>54453788

99% of normal computer use takes place in the CPU/GPU and RAM

the SSD meme of "how fast muh rig boots" was magically eliminated when windows10 came out, same exact HDD, yet boots and shutsdown almost instantly and yes thats even with the fastboot turned off vs 7 and prior.

the only SSD thats actually reliable is the samsung evo's which is like $500 for a 1TB
>>
I for one have heard enough hard drives spinning for a life time and every one less I can have in my house, the better.
>>
>>54455064
really waiting for a price drop on that sweet sweet gift from the gods

based samsung
>>
>>54453311
>sour grape arguments
You have to be seriously retarded to not notice a difference. Using an ssd as a boot drive and a hdd for conventional storage. Best of both worlds.
>>
>>54453311
>being this retarded.
SSD's are not a meme and I use them for literally everything. You can tell if it doesn't have an SSD in it.
>>
>>54453311
>Buying WD

I would rather by chink SSD than WD. More reliable and same customer support.
>>
>>54453311
>WINDAUBE 10
Fuck off and never come back.
>>
>>54460364
>chink SSD
I think you meant 128MB USB 1.0 thumb drive?
>>
>>54453545
Are you talking about yourself or your mother (which I bang daily)?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.