[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chromebook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: toshiba-chromebook-2-w-g01.jpg (116 KB, 775x500) Image search: [Google]
toshiba-chromebook-2-w-g01.jpg
116 KB, 775x500
Didn't see a laptop thread in the catalog (except that macbook or tablet thread)

going to college soon, looking to get a new laptop, since mine is from 2005 and fucked.

looking at cheap chromebooks, had a few questions for you pros.

>can i use an external disc reader?
>if i run ubuntu, can i have basically the same freedoms i would with a normal laptop?
>will any android app run on these?

i have my eye on the Toshiba, any reason why i shouldn't? any other suggestions?
this will be mainly for web surfing and homework (powerpoint, word, excel), and maybe Netflix, Skype, and steam, if possible

thanks for any help, in advance!
>>
macbooks and tablets suck
>>
/g/ fucking sucks, go ask in a /sqt/ thread
>>
im a grill btw
>>
>>54451970
>>can i use an external disc reader?
Doubtful.
>>if i run ubuntu, can i have basically the same freedoms i would with a normal laptop?
Helllllllllll no.
>>will any android app run on these?
There's a hacky beta thing called Arc Welder that barely works.
>>
>>54452268
awesome, thank you. any suggestions based on my needs?
>>
>>54451970
>can i use an external disc reader?
Yes
>if i run ubuntu, can i have basically the same freedoms i would with a normal laptop?
No
>will any android app run on these?
There's something called arc that works sometimes and there are rumours of official compatibility in the future
>>
Unless you're going to do nothing but be online, don't get a Chromebook. Shitty storage, no ability to download ANY SW outside of extensions, no Bluray/DVD support. Get a cheap Win laptop.
>>
>>54452574
suggestions? I'm not trying to spend $1200 for something that might be lost stolen or broken
>>
>>54451970
I use a c720 4gb ram 32gb exactly for this purpose running windows 10. Works pretty good for school work, only complaint is the screen resolution but for the price I got it at, I couldn't have gotten even a working laptop. (60 on eBay).
>>
>>54452596
Get a Thinkpad, ask in the general for help.
>>
>>54452596
Go to thinkpad gen
Maybe 180 US for a machine with a dual core and 6 hour battery life
>>
File: 4L_iiza6eXf.jpg (723 KB, 2142x2856) Image search: [Google]
4L_iiza6eXf.jpg
723 KB, 2142x2856
>>54452259
>>
>mobile phone processor
>Mobile phone is
>laptop
Something doesn't check out
>>
>>54456816
Makes 0 noise tho
>>
>>54451970
You can pick up a Thinkpad T420 or X220 all day long on eBay for under 200. I recently got a T420s for 80. Sandybridge Core i5 will kick the shit out of any Chromebook/Cloudbook this side of 300 dollars.
>>
>>54457496
Make that 5 or 6 hundred actually.
>>
>>54456816
Cant you fucking see the intel logo faggot
>>
op dont buy a chromebook. you can do better for a few bucks more. i payed 150 for my laptop. battery life is noice and i can run older pc and 360 caliber games. and if i dont have internet my computer isnt useless.
>>
Get the 2015 Toshiba CB2, better processor, less build quality issues and reasonable price to spec ratio. Use Crouton to load Ubuntu within Chromeos (instead of fucking around with dual booting and custom BIOS flashing) and you've got a sweet linux based laptop with great battery life.

Currently typing this from an i3 c720, 4gb RAM with 14.04.

External disc reader (like a dvd drive) will work and read properly.

Android apps can run in ChromeOs, but takes a bit of fiddling.
>>
>>54458370
They can run, but very badly. I assume you're using arc?
>>
Get a Chromebook 2 w/ the 1080p resolution or buy an old thinkpad (X220/T420) if you go for the latter make sure to ask on the thinkpad general for the prices people paid for them, a lot of crusty jugglers on eBay try to sell them for ridiculous prices
>>
>>54451970
not sure about some stuff
but
Google is supposedly going to release the Play Store to Chrome OS at I/O, but we'll see
>>
>>54458370
>outdated package manager
I got a Toshiba CB2, flashed SEABios with the BOOT_STUB firmware and it worked perfectly. Only thing is that you have to open it up and remove write protection, before I did it I read about a lot of people fucking it up, ruining their computer but I just did it carefully and it worked fine.

I guess another thing you have to do is replacing the asound.state file to get the sound work properly when changing from headphone to speaker etc.

I don't think there's anything in ChromeOS I miss. Maybe the 2 second boot up, but I don't reboot more than once a day anyway.
>>
I got an x220 for school, I'd recommend it, keyboard is amazing
>>
>>54451970
It can supplement an unlocked laptop, but not replace it. Crouton is too unreliable with automatic ChromeOS updates breaking it. But it's pretty nice when it's working. I got a Chromebook because it was the cheapest thing with a 1080 display and long runtime. Get a refurbished ThinkPad or such if you're short on cash. 1600 x 900 will be enough.
>>
>>54462672
Also, the keyboard is mushy shit, and a glossy display on a laptop is really inconvenient. And the build quality is poor. Mine has a small purple streak in the middle of the screen just from the lid being pressed on in my backpack. Never had that happen with any of my bento box laptops.
>>
>>54451970
>>>54451970
>>>can i use an external disc reader?
>Doubtful.
>>>if i run ubuntu, can i have basically the same freedoms i would with a normal laptop?
>Helllllllllll no.
>>>will any android app run on these?
>There's a hacky beta thing called Arc Welder that barely works.

What?

This isn't even remotely actuate.

External disc readers are fine.

Running Ubuntu would make it just like any other non-Windows or OSx laptop.

And arc welder kind of works, but I don't know why you just wouldn't run a VM with Android x86 instead.

0/10.

Do not fucking post unless you know what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1461811266628-fit.jpg (26 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1461811266628-fit.jpg
26 KB, 500x500
>>54451970
Steam and Skype I wouldn't bother with on a Chromebook. I have the Toshiba Chromebook 2. Got it for $200 brand new. Gets around 13-14 hours of battery life on a single charge using ChromeOS. Honestly for school uses, I wouldn't bother getting Linux on there. You'd be lucky to get 50% of the battery life you'd get on ChromeOS. Google offers their suite of office programs that are able to save in the same formats as Microsoft office.

Not to mention the model you're looking at has the "skullcandy tuned" audio, so Linux support for it will be non existent.

For a school laptop standpoint, the Toshiba Chromebook 2 is bar none the best laptop for its price point. Add in a 128gb microSD and you're golden.

If you HAVE to have Linux or Windows, consider something else but keep in mind that in the price range of $200-$300, you'll be hard pressed to find another laptop with similar build quality, screen resolution, speed. Or battery life. Even if you get a used thinkpad. I have a T420 and it barely gets 4 hours on low usage on a 9 cell battery. For basic school needs (I.e. not running a hypervisor or encoding/compiling) any Chromebook will suit your needs.

>tfw ever since I got my Chromebook, my T420 has been collecting dust.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.