[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hpg/ - Headphone General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: 6770896.jpg (182 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
6770896.jpg
182 KB, 1280x800
-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
http://pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread: >>54406599
>>
>>54451754
I'm re-posting this because I posted it at the very end of the last thread

>The right side of my 702's just fucking died 30 mins after I declared that they would be my end game headphones with my current EQ setting etc etc.

>I've spray painted the center circle black and I don't have the outer sleeve to the box so I can't even send them back. I wanted these fuckers for ten years but I can't force myself to buy another pair after this shit.

>Every other headphone feels uncomfortable compared to these so I'm thinking about buying a different, more expensive pair of akg's right now from amazon (and not chinese made)

>Any recommendations?

I'm now thinking the akg k712pro which costs £180 on ebay, can anyone tell me if all 712pros are made in Austria?
>>
>Budget 150
>Location usa
>Source wireless
>Preferred type of headphone earbuds
>Comfort level stays in while running
>Preferred music electronic, old stuff like queen, fat hawaiian guy singing somewhere over the rainbow
>Past earbuds $20 skullcandys that break in a couple months

Whenever I go running the cord ends up yanking my headphones out or they just fall out
>>
File: succ.jpg (85 KB, 794x463) Image search: [Google]
succ.jpg
85 KB, 794x463
Is there a dac amp with treble/mid/bass controls?
>>
So exactly how good is the isolation in the 7506?

I was planning on getting M50x but anons have mentioned that it might be too bass-ey for me.
>>
>>54452045
Bad luck anon, maybe don't mod your headphones next time.

I have 712's and they're great, afaik made in Austria too.
>>
>>54452932
Integrated amps sometimes have them, especially if you're willing to spend a bit more, but no for the most part cheap dac/amps for use with computers do not have a hardware EQ.
>>
>>54451754
Any recommended portable players?

Something >= 50
>>
>>54454005
For less than $50? Nope.
>>
>>54454005

If you stretch your bux a lil' further, Fiio M3 might be good with the current firmware. Otherwise, go up to $100 for either a Sansa Clip+ or Fiio X1.

Otherwise if you're hard on price, some people say this is the best at the bottom of the pack: http://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Digital-Professional-Supports-Formats/dp/B00ZP6D1NM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462764104&sr=8-1&keywords=X2+player
>>
>Budget
~350 max USD
>location
USA
>Source
A/V receiver.
>Preferred type
Over-ear
>Open or Closed
Either or
>Comfort Level
Cosy enough to wear for a few hours.
>Preferred tonal balance
I'd like them to be accurate, but not cold completely cold and analytical, instruments should have feeling and impact.
>Music
Post-rock, Shoegaze, Ska.
>Past Headphones
Currently wearing HD668B's only headphone to date.
>>
>Closed back
Audio Technica ATH-M50's
>Open back
Philips SHP9500
Senheisser HD598
>>
>>54455043
HD600 or HE400S
>>
>>54455174
>>54455043
Forgot to link post.

The HD600s and HE400S are also good options that anon recommended.

I'd also add the Philips X2 Fidelios.
>>
Got a friend who wants a low-price headset.
Are there any really low price over-ear headphones that have a mic input? I really want to recommend that boompro to plug in (to reduce wiring), but Superlux does not seem to make that style.
>>
>>54454005
FiiO M3
>>
>>54454005
ruizu x02. like $17, 20 hours battery life, decent software considering. not as good as clip+ with rockbox for software but it's much cheaper and easy to find.

>>54455630
hyperx cloud, cheapest model you can find is fine. it's a pro80
>>
>>54455043
SRH 840.
>>
>>54457134
is that just the lighting or are those gold
>>
Do you guys think the shp9500's will sell for below $60 anytime soon? I'm tempted to buy them but I'm hesitant to.
>>
Amazon UK has HD650s for 233GBP shipped atm, is that a good price or about standard?
>>
>>54457890
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHP9500-Over-Ear-Headphone-Exclusive-Black-/381133854860

right here big guy
>>
>>54458322
very good price relative to US prices because its ~$350
>>
>>54458341
Okay that's what I thought, I'm in Canada and that seems like it's as good as it gets. Ordered, thanks.
>>
>>54454005
Stretch a bit, AGPTEK IMP

It's 60 GBP but amazing value for the price
>>
Grado SR125e vs Beyer DT990
Vidya and Rock plus classic Metal
Which one?
It has to be one of these two.
>>
File: STAX SR-404 - hd600.png (41 KB, 800x555) Image search: [Google]
STAX SR-404 - hd600.png
41 KB, 800x555
Speakerphone has some interesting new measurements up.

>>54446654
Q is the width of the filter. A high Q value creates a very narrow filter which only affects a small range of frequencies. A low Q does the opposite. EQ APO has a visualization to show this in effect when you tweak the Q values. For test purposes create a filter with the same amplitude (say 5dB) but of different Q (e.g. Q 1 and Q 10) and see the visualization of what is going on. With low Q values you can tweak the overall tonality and fix larger areas such as rolled off bass with just a few or even a single filter instead of doing a chain of high Q filters. High Q filters are great for fixing sharp resonances which are common in the high frequencies. The filter type selection(shelving, peaking etc) and their bandwidth adjustment(Q) is what makes parametric equalizer so effective if used correctly. Without touching those you might as well use a multi band graphic EQ but it's nowhere near as powerful.

>>54448056
Any equalizer. If you are on Windows, Equalizer APO is a system wide parametric equalizer. The bass and treble knobs found in some amplifiers are usually just very simple high shelf and low shelf filters with a fixed S.

>>54457849
Gold.
>>
>>54452045
the only akgs that are still made in austria are the 65th annies and k812s.
>>
I've had SoundMAGIC E10's for about a year now and they're starting to crap out. Is it worth trying to find something a little above in price given they usually don't last a huge amount of time? It's especially annoying since I'm in Australia and it's hard to find good pairs.
>>
>>54459110
Minidisc and Addicted to Audio, lad.

Can probably try something like IM50 which are pretty sturdy albeit on the large side.
>>
>>54459151
Never heard of them. To add to >>54459110, I was considering getting something like the Etymotic Research HF5 from ebay for $160 but as the SoundMAGIC E10's is the best I've ever had, I don't know if it's really worth the money especially when the cables crap out on you.
>>
>>54459166
I need to stop forgetting shit and making more posts. I use this all with my phone, rather than a specialized portable music player if that makes a difference.
>>
>>54459110
try repairing them? do you have a soldering iron? if you can't find a suitable cable for it use ethernet wire or buy a earphone from the dollar shop and use those wires.

>>54459166
if you get those. the ety p to s adapter is a must have!
>>
>>54459166
Those two are both completely different in both sound signature and fit.
>>
>>54459190
I know they are. My choices are either going for a much more expensive pair like that one which appears to be good, or something more similar to the pricerange on the E10's.
>>
>>54459216
There's no guarantee that you will enjoy the signature of the HF5 or the comfort, for that matter.
They are very good, don't get me wrong but if you want to take the risk, it's your money. The two are far too different to just say that they are perfect for you.
>>
so the he300 pretty much blew ass. why are they bringing it back as the 350 on massdrop? hopefully it actually turns out decent measured
>>
>>54459366
to make loads of money on a hyped product with no risk of returns? just like all the trash audiophile drops massdrop puts out
>>
>>54452045
Talk about shit luck, anon. I'm sorry
>>
>>54454793
>>54455000
>>54456489
>>54457134
>>54458435

Is there any reason to use dedicated player for music instead of phone?

Sound quality?
>>
>>54452045
Do you really think buying something that has "Made in Austria" -sticker makes them quality? Why stick with AKG? K712 Pros don't sound alike and they are made in Slovakia nowadays iirc. Most likely it's just a disconnected solder point which you have here and very easy to fix if so.
>>
>>54459704
For me, it's because of the hiss from SE535.
Not using my phone's battery is a plus too, I guess.
>>
>>54459704
Better battery life, dedicated buttons for playback control, more memory etc. Sound quality maybe but this depends on the phone you have and the headphones you use. In many cases a smartphone is more than adequate at driving headphones but there are models with poor headphone outputs. However this goes to DAPs too, not all of them are good despite being dedicated music players.
>>
>>54458604
Some controversial choices there, but if you absolutely had to, I guess the Grado since it's good with rock and doesn't have the piercing treble of beyer's remorse. Only thing is that for gaming you'll pretty much want to swap the earpads out right away, unless your ears are made of steel, those Grado pads can be rough.
>>
>>54459918
>I guess the Grado since it's good with rock
>and doesn't have the piercing treble of beyer's remorse
Stop posting any time.
>>
File: 81eYDNNHWEL._SL1500_.jpg (162 KB, 1035x1500) Image search: [Google]
81eYDNNHWEL._SL1500_.jpg
162 KB, 1035x1500
Buying pic related, Klipsch Reference II R-15M, and I need an amplifier for it. I want to spend around $50. Is the SLML SMSL SA-36A a decent amplifier or do I need to search for something better and pricier?

I know this is /hpg/ but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it.
>>
File: Cattura_di_schermata__8_.png (353 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Cattura_di_schermata__8_.png
353 KB, 1366x768
>>54458773
Thank you very much for the explanation. What I'm trying to fix through EQ is just the rolled-off bass of my K702, from 20 Hz to 70Hz. My intention is to put the highest peak at 20Hz and progressively diminish the gain till I reach 0dB at 80 Hz. At this point I feel like I need some more explanations on the working of APO:
1) is there a mathematic way to establish how Q will affect the frequency response? I mean, how do I know if Q is too high or too low? Just by trying things out?
2) why does the dB gain at 20 Hz is 10 dB on the parametric EQ, whereas it's 15 dB on the graph? Which one tells the truth?
>>
>>54459985
oh god this post makes me want to pull my eyeballs out of their sockets

someone please help this man, my carpal tunnel points have been used for the day
>>
Want to upgrade my ATH-M30Xs which were a gift and are starting to break, am absolute retard when it comes to sound shit.

>Budget
up to 200 USD
>Location
The US
>Source
generic PC sound things
>Preferred type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed would be preferred, but I can live with open if it's really the better option for me
>Comfort level
Need something comfy, I probably spend way too much time with headphones on
>Preferred music
shitty metal, shitty j-pop, but in practice I want them to be decent for everything because I don't really limit myself to what I listen
>Past headphones
Shitty gaymen headsets, M30Xs

Removable/replaceable cable would be nice, the one on the M30Xs gets really tangled and makes me want to throw them into the ground sometimes, would like to avoid that with my next pair.
Someone last thread recommended DT770s, but from what I can gather it doesn't seem like my relatively weak on-board audio will do too well with the 80 or 250Ohm version
>>
>Budget
$200USD max (soft limit)

>Location
Australia

>Source
Computer

Either

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Maximum

>Past headphones
Haven't owned anything of note, but have tried some other headphones. ATH M50s were fine, I think they even had a coil cable which is nice. Can't remember hearing anything wrong with them, they clamped a little hard iirc and the pads didn't seem very high quality but that's about all I remember. BD T1 I found to be comfy, but I'm not a fan of open because it's pretty limiting, also they were big. Didn't help me score any higher in ABX though. HD800 I didn't mind, T1 sounded nicer and was comfier plus HD800 looks ugly...

As above coiled cables are nice, also removable cables are good too.

I don't know that much about headphones and my ears aren't that great, so comfort is #1 priority really, beyond that I listen to a range of music, plus I game and use voice chat. Any advice is appreciated.

AKG K553 Pro Studio are on sale on massdrop for $145 so that's what prompted me to check this thread.
>>
>>54451754
>Budget
I'm a poor ass motherfucker (student). So cheaper is better. There is no hard limit though, in case the cheap options simply aren't worth it. I am getting tax refunds in a few weeks and if need be I can go for a few months without, so money from my summer job starts coming in.
>Location
Finland.
>Source
Mainly for listening on the go with my phone. A lot of the music will be spotify stream quality.
I want in-ears, mainly because of noise cancellation and small size.
>Comfort level
Don't care too much, cheap price and sound quality are infinitely more important to me. I tend to adjust to new headphones very fast anyways, not usually a problem.
>Preferred tonal balance
>Preferred music
In general very varied, but mostly Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Thrash Metal, Classic Rock, but also some electronic music (like fatboy slim). Not very bassy music in general, I guess
>Past headphones
Right now I have Koss Porta Pros, which have pretty good sound quality for the price, but too bassy and the lack of noise cancellation makes them impractical. Also they are showing signs of dying.
>>
>>54459733
>Do you really think buying something that has "Made in Austria" -sticker makes them quality?

Not exactly but when one of the drivers from your chinese made headphones completely dies for no reason it kind of makes you think. Anyway i'm going to open them up later. If they can't be easily fixed i'm buying a pair of k12 pros.
>>
>>54460596
The K712 Pro are worse than the K702 sound-wise, they're more expensive and they're made in Slovakia, which doesn't imply that they have better build quality than chinese AKG. It sounds like your K702 has a bad soldering in the right cup. You can fix this problem pretry easily.
>>
>Budget
50 USD
>location
My house
>Source
My mom's.
>Preferred type
Blondes, nurses
>Open or Closed
I keep my options open
>Comfort Level
Sittin in my chair
>Preferred tonal balance
Whatever you pick
>Music
Radio
>Past Headphones
Don't remember
>>
>>54459985
>1) is there a mathematic way to establish how Q will affect the frequency response? I mean, how do I know if Q is too high or too low? Just by trying things out?
Besides finding it on Wikipedia or one of the dozens of articles, books, and class notes on the subject?
The most convenient way to describe Q as it applies here is to say that refers to the frequency selectivity of the filter. A higher Q is more restrictive as to what frequency range it affects.

Q can be defined as: center frequency/bandwidth(-3dB cutoff).

>2) why does the dB gain at 20 Hz is 10 dB on the parametric EQ, whereas it's 15 dB on the graph? Which one tells the truth?
Both of them are likely true. Filters overlap and add, so that the response is the sum of all the filters. For simplicity just make a large single filter at 20 Hz with a lower Q, 0.7 for example.

Maybe just ditch PEACE if you don't get it, EQAPO stock has a graphical interface and also expresses filters in octave width, if that makes it easier.
>>
>>54459985
Just create a very low Q filter at the lowest point of the response you want to alter like a peaking filter of +6 dB Q 0.7 at 20 Hz. You could create a low shelving filter with a slope per octave matching that to the roll off in your headphones but I think the peaking filter is easier.

>1)
Yes there is.
>how do I know if Q is too high or too low?
What do you want to achieve? Just fix the roll off? You could just reference some measuremets here and match the EQ to those. Right now your EQ is fixing the roll off and adding rather large bass boost.

A better way to EQ is to get some logarithmic sine sweeps which you play back. You listen to volume changes as the pitch goes up, sudden peaks or dips in the response. You apply EQ to correct those and repeat the process until the volume stays constant or closely so even if the frequency changes. Regardless of how you created the EQ, you could always try a sine sweep tone for checking that everything is in order.
>2)
The width of the filters makes them overlap each other. Adding multiple wide filters adds up the gain. Both tell the truth but the visualization displays the sum of all filters hence that's what you should look for.

Lower your preamp. Your preamplifier should be low enough to keep the sum of all filters below full scale volume.
>>
I recently purchased the Beyerdynamic DT250 80ohms from both recommendation from audio shop and from here.
While I really like it there are two significant drawbacks to it:
- 3m coiled/ straight cable. (6 pin input makes it impossible to find shorter cables) i realized how stupid I look when i went to university.
- construction seems a bit weak even if it is "made in germany"

Is there anything similar to the DT250 in both its comfort and excellent sound stage?
>budget
500 AUD
>location
Australia
>Source
S7 Edge and E10K
>Preferred type
Closed circumaural
>comfort
as good or better than dt250. so 8/10 +. if exceptional sound but not comfy, am willing to buy new earpads
>past headphones
MR7056 (sounded boring? disliked fucking coiled 3m cable), M50X (disliked due to heavy bass muddling music), ESW9A (was pretty good).
>preferred tonal balance
neutral or warm.

Was looking at the MSR7 with velour ear pads. Any other recommendations?
For some reason the local audio shop recommended against PM3s (citing them inferior than $200 headphones).
>>
>>54461215
Thank you very much, that is the answer I was looking for. Can you recommend me any sine sweep I can listen to or any reliable site havinf sine sweep tones?
>>
>>54461396
Audiocheck.net has a generator for them.
>>
>>54460624
>The K712 Pro are worse than the K702 sound-wise

In what way?
>>
>>54460323

>Porta Pros
>Showing signs of dying

LIFETIME WARRANTY MANG

Also, hate to say it, but most IEMs on the inexpensive end tend to be pretty bassy/dark. I'm gonna recommend Soundmagic E10s or TT Pods.
>>
>>54460323
Etymotic MK5 if you aren't bothered by the deep fit. Ety Kids is also really good for the price and those generally go for cheaper.
>>
>>54462600
>>54462744
Alright, thank you so very much.
>>
>>54461793
Too bassy and coloured
>>
I'm a total audio noob. I recently bought a pair of HiFiMan H-400i. I quickly realized I needed something to drive them. I went to my guitar center and the guy sold me this.PreSonus HP4 4-Channel Compact Headphone Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002D0QDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_T-lmxbK4YVR4C

I'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems like bass becomes very distorted when I put the volume at above 50%. Can anyone explain?
>>
>$150 (a cheap one would be fine though)
>Indonesia (Southeast Asia)
>Wired
>On-ear/Over-ear headphone
>Closed (for blocking airplane sounds)
>Comfortable for long-term use
>Any kinds of music, as long as it's good
>Sennheiser MX170 :(

Gonna go abroad in a few weeks, need a good noise-cancelling/noise-isolation headphone for blocking airplane sounds.
>>
>>54463421
Could be the amplifier clipping because of high power draw.
>>
My k612s just died, shall I buy another pair for get some DT770's
>>
>>54463308
Well I used to EQ my 702s to give them more bass but not full nigger bass. I might actually like them unless they're too over the top
>>
>>54463801
K702 bass is lacking only below 80 Hz, at least according to my taste. The K712 is an expensive K702 with unnecessary mid-bass and less mids.
>>
These good? https://www.amazon.co.uk/MEE-audio-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating-Detachable/dp/B00SLVB71Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462813017&sr=8-1&keywords=mee+audio+m6+pro
>>
If I've completely lost sound in one side is it worth a repair or should I just buy another pair of headphones
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBW_Ga53GXo

Daily reminder to always use a bass test. If you can't clearly hear with Gucci Mane is saying here, your headphones may be broken.
>>
>>54458335
That's 60 bucks.
>>
>>54463953
s-stop this they are already on the way.

At the very least they look better design wise and they have memory foam pads, I've always wanted the pads on the 702's to be a little bit softer, they'd be perfect.

If they clearly sound worse especially after using an EQ I guess i'll send them back...and buy 702's again, meh.
>>
File: 1405538557644.jpg (39 KB, 426x341) Image search: [Google]
1405538557644.jpg
39 KB, 426x341
>60% off $1000 headphones
I'm tempted, but something tells me this is probably not a good idea.
>>
>Budget
$60-$70
>Location
Malta
>Source
PC for gaming and spotify
umm, full sized
>Open or closed
Either
>Comfort level
High since I'll wear them 8+ hours a day
>Preferred tonal balance
idk
>Preferred music
Anything desu, Pop, Hip-hop sometimes, EDM,Bass Songs
>Past headphones
Currently have Razer Carcharias. They re comfy and audio is good

>Side Notes
I don't want a Headset and I dont want it USB
>>
>>54464948
You know it's not. Don't do it lad.
>>
>>54465185
But at such a high price they must be good, right? That's how it all works, right?
>>
>Budget
$300 though a little flexible if something is truly worth the money. Like something that won't fucking break on me within two years.
>Location
USA
>Source
Onboard
Full-size
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Needs to be very comfy as I wear them all day
>Preferred tonal balance
Like exaggerated bass, of the previous headphones I had I liked the V-shaped sound of my DT 990s the most
>Preferred music
drum and bass, but all kinds, really
>Past headphones
hd555 (very comfy but broke easily), dt990 (loved them but they also broke), k240 (comfy, lacking bass, dog chewed them up) mdr-v6 (current cans, hate them)

Contemplating just buying another pair of DT 990s but I'm wondering if there's anything else that I would like.
>>
>>54465266
Nope, I bought a pair of hd650's and the difference between them and the akg 702's was tiny to me. once you get to a certain point (lets say akg 702's) then the returns are fucking tiny, especially when you can tweak headphones with an eq. Point is I couldn't keep the 650's, they cost £240 and sounded incredibly similar to my akgs.

The worst one is people buying expensive dacs (not amps) what the absolute fuck is that about.
>>
>>54463308
The 702 are too bright and coloured
>>
>>54465314
Goes for a lot of things really. I'm sure at that price they are just for looks, and probably used material that didn't necessarily need to be used.

I just happen to see them as I was looking at new headphones since my current ones have the jack bent. They still work, but I swear I've been hearing bits of static now and then.
>>
got a K99 around november
equalized it with Equalizer APO and SineGen
it's bretty gud, hurts the ears a bit
>>
>>54465348
Get a new pair, just maybe no $400 or whatever lol, why not spend $200?, it's still a lot of money. Normies at my brothers workplace thought he was insane for spending £100 on dt770's.
>>
>>54465171
Sony 7506 or CAL (or just portapros since I cannot think of any decent open full sized headphones for your budget)

>>54465297
You sound like a cankiller. Perhaps you should check out the X2 for their durability though it may not work best for your preferred music.
>>
>>54465314
I'd rate the HD 650 over the K702 any day of the week but the problem with expensive audio gear is mostly the negative returns. You pay more for a worse product in a lot of cases.

>>54464948
Which model? Price is utterly irrelevant.
>>
>>54464141
This is really common and it's usually just one solder disconnected.
>>
>>54465957
The thing is that I was testing the 650's on their own andusing an eq with my 702's, they sounded similar but maybe the bass was a bit more extended on the 650's. Straight out the box the 650's did sound clearly better than the 702's but they were uncomfortable and the headband at that price is just a no. I just couldn't keep them, althugh it's a shame I never got to test them properly with an EQ.
>>
File: chrome_2016-05-09_22-58-51.png (9 KB, 289x108) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-05-09_22-58-51.png
9 KB, 289x108
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foobar2000.foobar2000
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foobar2000/id1072807669
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/foobar2000-beta/9nblggh5x8tr

Foobar2000 available for mobile now.
>>
>>54464948
Price often does not reflect quality.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultrasone-edition-10
>>
>>54466021
> for years foobar2000 devs didn't want to port to OSX/Linux because it uses windows functionalities too deeply in the source code and how it works
> refuse to release source code so people could port it themselves
> android is completely ok to port to though
>>
Hi /hpg/ fellow!

Recently I read a scary story about how a guy got tinnitus from listening to music/everything on headphones.

Should I be concerned?
I always try to keep the volume down.
>>
>>54466491
You're not going to develop any hearing problems unless you're a dumbass teenager who blasts music full volume using IEMs.
>>
>>54466562
Sound device here is irrelevant. IEMs or loudspeakers, both equally damaging if you play your music back too loud and for too long.

>>54466491
>I always try to keep the volume down.
All you need to do. Some people with tinnitus I know are bothered with well isolating headphones because they can hear the tinnitus more easily while with open backs the tinnitus supposedly blends into the environmental noises like hum of the PC.
>>
Is the ATH-m50 still the best general price/quality ratio?
>>
>>54467049
No.
>>
>>54467084
Then what is? My Koss PortaPros died on me. Thinking about going with the ATH m50 or MDR v6
>>
Hi /hpg/. I finally get the headphones I asked here long time ago and set it up everything.

Can I ask on some guidelines to Equalizers and that stuff?

I guess I will have to tweak my source, right?
>>
>>54467131
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Headphones#Equalizer_and_how_to_equalize_your_headphones
>>
>Budget
€160-180
>Location
The Netherlands
>Source
PC for movies and gaming
Full sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
Medium
>Preferred tonal balance
idk
>Preferred music
Radio
>Past headphones
Turtle beach Z22 :(

>Side note: It doesn't have to be a headset.
>>
File: 1441254906503.png (606 KB, 714x1000) Image search: [Google]
1441254906503.png
606 KB, 714x1000
>>54467121
>>
>>54467121
V6's successor the 7506 is great.

>>54467167
Terrible.
>>
>>54467151
Thanks anon, reading it right now.
>>
will my asus xonar u7 be able to power HD600s?
>>
>>54467268
With a u7 can you move the surround sound speakers in the software just like Asus xonar dx? I remember you can click and drag them or is the u7 stuck and can't move the virtual speakers?
>>
>what kind of treble u want Senpai?
>ever heard of the mariana trench?
>say no mo
http://ko.goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&document_srl=4137890
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeEL8Open.pdf
>>
>>54467488
i dont usually mess with that stuff but im pretty darning sher you can
>>
>>54467524
Can you post pics? I really want to buy a xonar u7. I cannot fit a sound card into my cramped micro atx case. A pic of the surround speaker setting I mean the sattelitte speaker settings page would do. I want one.
>>
Just bought a mint condition set of Hyperx Clouds for $30. Did I do good /hpg/?
>>
>>54467561
there is the virtual surround there in the middle
but i cant drag the speakers around so doesnt look like it can do what you want
>>
>>54467616
Okay thanks much! I'll get one second hand if I see it pop up or if I see it on sale.
>>
>>54467049
It never was
>>
>>54465419
They don't make these headphones anymore. Senn HD 485. So that kind of sucks.
>>
>>54465957
TH-X00 on Massdrop.

>>54466129
I'm aware.
>>
>>54461264
>For some reason the local audio shop recommended against PM3s (citing them inferior than $200 headphones).
The PM3 are literally what you want, though. Someone elses subjective opinion (especially in audio) shouldn't sway your decision.
>pretty sexy
>neutral/warm
>comfy if you can get over the weight
MSR7 are more on the bright side of neutral.
>>
File: I fucking love music.gif (1 MB, 312x205) Image search: [Google]
I fucking love music.gif
1 MB, 312x205
About to buy a MDR7506. Anything I should be aware of? I understand they're apparently not very comfortable.
>>
>>54467151
I readed it and it gives me a guideline for a concrete software. It will work the same with other software (like asus audio center) if I have in mind headphones chart?
>>
>>54468293
That pads will not last long, if you are not buying alternative pads already in the future you might want to, a good option is the Auray Sheep Skin pads, those last longer, are more comfortable and isolate better.
>>
>>54467151
> installgentoo
> talking about an equalizer exclusive to windows
>>
>>54467611
Well yeah seeing as they go for <$70 you did.
>>
Ok /hpg/, I have the WOOX Audio Philips Fidelio X2 and I just noticed a small 3-3.5mm hole in the mesh in front of my left headphone driver. Would this affect the sound quality? Would it destabilize the perceived soundstage? Would really appreciate an answer, thanks.
>>
>>54468022
X00 are not the 900's so I have no clue what you think you're getting at
>>
>>54461264
if you think the 7506 were boring the pm3s will put you to sleep

they need a powerful portable amp like the ha-2 or mojo to come even remotely alive, out of a phone they will sound a lifeless and really mid-centric

thats probably why the guy at the store didnt recommend them, although for the wrong reasons
>>
File: head.png (121 KB, 967x412) Image search: [Google]
head.png
121 KB, 967x412
>40-90 USD
>AMERICA
>Wired
>Full-sized, comfortable, over ear headphones
>closed
>maximum comfy, I use at least 6 hours a day
>decent sound, am not seeking audiophile-tier, but would like something nice.

About 10 months ago I bought some headphones off the internet, called Noisehush i7, they just broke two weeks ago. I suppose its what I deserve for buying a brand I've never heard of. Now I'm using some skullcandy Hesh 2 headphones, and while they're alright, I'd like something of a little higher quality, and that also doesn't make me feel like a moody teenager.

What can you recommend me /g/? Pretty please help, I was thinking some sennheisers, but I've never used them before so I have no past experience to base my purchase on. Also, I'd like something with decent noise isolation as I live with my parents and siblings, am college student/retail working who can't strike it on his own.

pic related is the headphones that broke on me

please respond
>>
Where can I read up DAC reviews and recommendations I'm looking to buy one.
>>
>>54469160
They're all the same
>>
>>54469216
So what can I get for cheap fampai?
>>
>>54468869
The fuck are you talking about?

I never mentioned 900 anything. I'm talking about this.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00
>>
>>54468915
MDR V6. Not the comfiest but . . .
>>
File: philips fidelio l2 2.jpg (93 KB, 600x397) Image search: [Google]
philips fidelio l2 2.jpg
93 KB, 600x397
Any subjective opinions on the Philips Fidelio L2?
>>
>>54451754
should I get 32 ohm or 250 ohm or 600 ohm dt990?
>>
>Budget
~200 maple syrup dollars
>Location
trudeau's basement
>Source
mp3 player and computer, i could possibly get an amp as well
over ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
looking to be comfy after a few hours at least
>Preferred music
Mostly hiphop, classical, the playlists in spotify focus section, A bit of everything in general
>Past headphones
klipsch s4 and bose quiet comfort 15
>>
>Budget 100 usd slightly flexible
>Location usa
>Source mostly android phone but also computer (no dedicated sound card)
>Preferred type of headphone over ear
>Open or closed closed
>Comfort level as comfy as possible without sacrificing sound quality, i listen to music almost all day
>Preferred tonal balance dont care
>Preferred music metal, big band jazz, some rap, and the occasional trap/edm type stuff
>>
>>54465171
Hyperx Cloud, or Hyperx Cloud Core (if you can get a good deal on Ebay. They should be selling for under 60 euro, not including postage fees)

Sony MDR-7506, just keep in mind that the headphones sound bright

The Superlux 681 EVO's can suit your bass needs but I highly recommend you swap the stock pads with Hifiman earpads (link below).
The EVO's aren't a bad last option.
http://amzn.com/B006695A8G
>>
File: Yoshitoshi.Abe.full.488055.jpg (3 MB, 2595x3500) Image search: [Google]
Yoshitoshi.Abe.full.488055.jpg
3 MB, 2595x3500
http://www.zerochan.net/Headphone+Girls%3A+A+Pictorial+Book

http://www.zerochan.net/Winter+Girls+X+Headphone+Life
>>
Just bought pic related, what's a good portable amp I can use with it? I don't want to spend too much on the amp, $50-$75.
>>
>Budget
$400 AUD
>Location
Melbourne
>Source
Laptop
Full over ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Medium to high
>Preferred tonal balance
Well balanced
>Preferred music
Plenty of stuff, not much rap or heavy metal
>Past headphones
Iphone buds

Posting on behalf of my brother, I told him dt770 but I want to know what else is a good idea
>>
>>54469555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y1QImm44ZI

They're great! I prefer them over the L1s
>>
>>54470663
they're 50 ohms. Wait until you get them before you get an amp, they'll probably play straight out of your computer.
>>
>>54470625
>Yoshitoshi Abe
What the fuck is he doing nowadays?
>>
>>54468037
>>54468888
Ah alright thanks. Any recommendations for something that's warmish that's closed circumaural headphones with comfort matching the DT250? I'm going to try the PM3s in the weekend
>>
>>54471158
Thanks. What about my phone, s6, or a fiio x5?
>>
>>54471393
you do realize these are open back headphones that don't isolate at all right? like speakers strapped to your head everyone will hear it and what's worse is you can hear everything outside. these are huge over the ear headphones that make you look like Frankenstein.
>>
>>54471133
Ayy
>>
>>54471459
I don't really care. I don't listen to my music too loud and I have a pair of in-ears I use on the go. These are more for using at-home listening.
>>
>>54471268
Still trying to get Despera made.
>>
>>54464948
>>54468022
>>54469393
You're delusional if you think the TH-X00 would sell a single unit at $1000. The RRP is literally made up to make the deal seem better.
>>
I currently own a pair of Shure se425's >I've found them to be absolutely incredible in ear monitors.

I just ordered a new pair of Shure se535 Ltd earphones.
>paid $525 dollarydoos.

Most of my library is FLAC, I'll likely listen to 90%< though my s7 Edge (Exynos).

How significantly would buying a pocket amp/DAC bolster audio quality?
>Keep in mind the non-snapdagon variant of the s7 has a higher quality DAC

Also does anyone own a pair of 535's, how do you find them? Are there any other $500ish range in ear monitors that compete?
>>
>>54472557
>Most of my library is FLAC
lol
>How significantly would buying a pocket amp/DAC bolster audio quality?
it wouldn't.
>>
>>54469264
bump
>>
>>54472557
similar question, would a headphone amp be all i need to achieve better sound for my phone or should i buy a dac and headphone 2 in 1? I'm looking at the FiiO E11k and E10k.
>>
>>54467121

>PortaPro died on me

L i f e t i m e
W a r r a n t y

Get them fixed/replaced while you shop around and use 'em on the go, or as backups.
>>
>>54459704
sound quality, software, and battery life mostly.

on most phones you can put in some time to get ok software but it's a pain and you'll often run into things you just can't do.

phones generally have poor battery life even when just playing music compared to a dedicated player.

and worst of all, most phones have shitty amps that introduce hiss into sensitive IEMs which is what most people use for portable listening.
>>
>>54472932
you need better headphones to achieve better sound
>>
File: Attach15830_20160510_002020-1.jpg (1 MB, 1125x1904) Image search: [Google]
Attach15830_20160510_002020-1.jpg
1 MB, 1125x1904
These are pretty. Soundstage is phenomenal. Highs are clear as fuck.
>>
File: 1.png (350 KB, 786x600) Image search: [Google]
1.png
350 KB, 786x600
>>54472960
>>
>>54472932
Oh, yeah forgot to mention I'm using some sony mdr-v6's. I know they're not the best but I'm okay with it for now.
>>
>>54472955
>>54472974
>>
>>54472965
When I plug them into that piano and it feels like the entire room is filled with sound.
>>
File: 41Taa5DTsKL.jpg (20 KB, 500x242) Image search: [Google]
41Taa5DTsKL.jpg
20 KB, 500x242
Anyone use the FiiO E10k? Seems to be the best dac and headphone amp under 100 buckaroos.
>>
File: x2 main.jpg (74 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
x2 main.jpg
74 KB, 970x546
tfw you find your perfect headphone

Is this what bliss feels like?

And I don't even have to bother with amps either, and its a great headset for gaming on top of it all

I hope you guys have found your perfect headphone that you no longer feel like leaving
>>
>>54467121
v6/7506, m40x, xpt100
>>
File: sennheiser-hd-558.jpg (622 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
sennheiser-hd-558.jpg
622 KB, 2592x1936
How much comfier are the HD558s compared to the AD-700Xs?
>>
>>54468754
like the metal mesh grille?
no, something that small shouldn't affect the sound at all
>>
>>54473168
If the 700X uses the same wing system as the 700 then the 700X will be more comfortable than the 558.
>>
File: PEIgusH.jpg (664 KB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
PEIgusH.jpg
664 KB, 4208x3120
>>54473195
Here's what the 700X looks like.
>>
>>54473220
Yeah. Same wing.
>>
>>54473098
glad you enjoy it. I have found a bunch that I love, still not my perfect one. I think I need something that's like a half-way between the hd600, x2, and a planar like the 400i.
>>
>>54472797
Mp3 serf
>>
>Budget
$250 CAD
>Location
Canada
>Source
Optic/regular jack
Over my ears
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
Like wearing earmuffs.
>Preferred tonal balance
V-Shaped
>Preferred music
Glitch Hop, Electronic. Video games.
>Past headphones
Logitech G930 (Receiver died) Skullcandy earbuds

Surround sound was good, but the wireless meme was a little too much to bear.
>>
>>54473098
It's a bit of a compromise between openness and bassiness. But it's a good compromise.
>>
Where the fuck can I find Stax products in Australia?
>>
>>54474169
import from japan
>>
>>54474177
Any specific places?
>>
>>54474506
pricejapan
yja
>>
>>54469555
Great sounding (even without eq), slight v shape. Good looking and protable but open so good for using in office so I can hear people talking to me. Would not use them outside or traveling. Not that many headphones filling the same niche.
goldenears and innerfidelity measured them.
>>
>Budget
Cheap, because I have 3 dogs, and dogs like to eat headphones if they ever manage to find them.
>Location
UK
>Source
Wired
IEM (see below)
>Comfort level
Well I dont want my ears to bleed...?
>Preferred tonal balance
More bassy. I'm a philistine.
>Preferred music
Mostly Southern Gothic at present, but I usually don't have a preferred genre. If it sounds good, I'll listen to it.
>Past headphones
Replacing SoundMagic E10's.

All I'm looking is a pair of IEM's to replace a set of SoundMagic E10's that I foolishly left out on the coffee table overnight and my dog decided to eat. Needs to be IEM's because I'll be using it at work on a print line with a couple of offset presses running, so I have a pair of ear defenders on over the top, IEM's generally fit snugly underneath.

Was going to just pick up a pair of Sennheiser CX 300 II's but I figured it would do no harm to ask you guys opinions first.

thanks in advance.
>>
>>54474912
Another E10
>>
>>54472557
FLAC is irrelevant, S7 Edge is excellent.

https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_device&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=52

Most dedicated DAPs don't match this kind of performance which is already well above of what we can hear in terms of distortion and linearity. Noise level is very low on the S7 Edge too which is great with the SE535s as they are extremely sensitive in-ears. I don't hear any hiss with them.

I have SE535s with the acoustic damper changed to the 330 Ohm ones which essentially make them identical to the Ltd version. I like the form factor and comfort but not the sound. They are too dark and there's odd harshness in the highs despite the roll off and audible lack of bandwidth. I find many Etys far superior to them in terms of sound, starting from MK5. I use the ER-4S myself with foam tips.
>>
>>54474912
>Cheap, because I have 3 dogs, and dogs like to eat headphones if they ever manage to find them.
Define "cheap." "Cheap" for Bill Gates would be $10k.
>>
>>54473019
It is the best under that price.
>>
>2000+16
Technology for humans to hear above 20kHz still hasn't been invented so we can hear like a bat or dog's ears.
>>
>Budget
60usd
>source
phone
earbud
>comfort level
something that doest fall out of my ears
>preferred music
electronic/experimental
>current headphones
yuin pk3 w/ no right ear
>>
>Budget
200€
>Location
Slovakia
>Source
computer, phone, might buy an AMP
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed if possible
>Comfort level
Very comfortable
>Preferred music
Mostly Dubstep, Electro, Metal, Folk, Rock, Orchestral
>Past headphones
Razer kraken
>>
File: homescreen.webm (835 KB, 720x1024) Image search: [Google]
homescreen.webm
835 KB, 720x1024
just posting to see if i made a 4chan enabled webm
>>
>>54451754
The HD650s got tweaked in 2010, are they still considered less neutral than the 600s?
>>
>>54477187
Couldn't you use /b/ for that?
>>
File: My Headphones 02.jpg (646 KB, 1268x2560) Image search: [Google]
My Headphones 02.jpg
646 KB, 1268x2560
>>54473098
Cool, hope you have tons of fun with it!
Haven't found the perfect headphone yet, but i'll keep looking, can't be that far.
>>
Sennheiser HD 558 for 100$ on amazon should I do it?
>>
>>54478172
Not bad at all for the price.
>>
>>54477979
sorry, thought this was the phone general.
>>
So it's my first time using an external usb DAC/amp, and my peak/RMS meter constantly shows the audio levels going above -0dB, isn't that bad?

Is this normal stuff? I thought it was my EQ, but I made sure the preamp was lowered to the highest EQ peak so that there would be no clipping.
>>
>>54478439
fuck, disregard this, I had the meter monitor the audio output before the EQ, not after.
>>
>Budget
200$ CAD, flexible
>Location
Canada
>Source
PC
Whatever.
>Open or closed
Closed. But would not mind open.
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough for hours of using it.
>Preferred music
I'll use them mostly for my piano and listening to classical music.
>Past headphones
Razer Kraken
>>
>>54478633
HD558 or MDR 7506.
>>
>>54477018
DT770.
>>
>>54451754
>Budget
$350, willing to wait for more expensive headphones to go on sale if they fall around this range
>Location
US
>Source
xonar essence stx, may upgrade
full sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Very high
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Preferred music
extreme metal, dad rock, ambient
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD595's
>>
>>54473098
Does the X2 do classical well?
>>
>>54479066
Do you like your HD595? HD600/650 might be a good upgrade.
>>
>>54479146
Love them, and those are the new cans I'm considering. I was going to get the 650s since it might be a larger improvement but I'm worried about all those "sennheiser veil" comments, hence >>54477867

Also I hear they aren't as comfortable as the 600s. Unfortunately I can't compare them side by side.
>>
File: hd650vshd600.png (39 KB, 800x555) Image search: [Google]
hd650vshd600.png
39 KB, 800x555
>>54479357
Difference is slight.
>>
>>54479496
So you think they would be an improvement over the 600s? Head-fi is trying to tell me the only difference is the boosted bass/treble recess, which I find hard to believe
>>
>>54479596
I'd say the HD 600s are better. The only difference is the response which boils down to the HD 650 having treble roll off.
>>
>>54479596
> head-fi
The place where people find sonic differences between the regular 598 and the special edition, which by the way are exactly the same minus the color
>>
>>54479626
What about the HE-400s? They cost the same
>>
>>54479626
Alright, so is my xonar essence stx going to be good enough for those? I can only spend about $300 on an external amp/dac if not

>>54479641
I am looking into those also, don't know anything about hifiman or planars though
>>
>>54479641
Meh in my opinion, not comparable sound wise because of the more colored/less even response.
>>
>>54479752
HD600 > HE400s

That's your opinion? How does the bass compare
>>
>>54479771
Yes. As for the bass, both roll off. That's practically it.
>>
>>54479850
That we already know but which rolls off less?
>>
Looking to replace my k7xxs soonish, an upgrade would be cool. What do you guys think of the TH-X00? Purpleheart? Mainly listen to emo and black metal
>>
>>54479875
Sennheisers roll off less judging from measurements with good seal. HE-400S stock pads roll off quite a bit. Both are nothing that EQ can't fix.
>>
>>54465977
How do I fix it. I went full retard and bought another pair and it's too late to cancel the order
>>
File: Massdrop-HE350.jpg (48 KB, 1023x456) Image search: [Google]
Massdrop-HE350.jpg
48 KB, 1023x456
How do the HE-350s compare to HE-400S?
>>
>>54458322
>>54458335
> 13 left in stock

Shiiit. Don't know whether to get these or Fidelio X2s.
>>
>>54479977
Misquoted, was in regards to the HD650s.
>>
>>54479955
To me it seems like the HE-350 is just rebranded HE-300 which is was shit and completely different from HE-400S.
>>
I'm looking for a sub $50 DAP for my shure se215s and my Grado SR80es. Right now I have it narrowed down to the Ruizu X02/AGPtEK A02, the Benjie C1, the Idealist S1814, and the Xduoo X2. What are the differences between these? All of them but the X2 seem like vague clones of eachother. I mostly listen to hip hop, vaporwave, and jazz if that helps.
>>
>>54479932
>Both are nothing that EQ can't fix.
Except for the fact that the THD levels for the HD 600 are 10 times as high.
>>
>>54473019
I own it. It works.
>>
File: 2016-05-10 14-11-46.jpg (236 KB, 1634x615) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-10 14-11-46.jpg
236 KB, 1634x615
just did an impulse buy...did i terribly fuck up?
>>
>>54479952
Open them up carefully and look for a disconnected wire inside. There's usually a corresponding solder with nothing leading to it too. Heat up the solder and connect the wire again. If it was a popular headphone there might even be tutorials with pictures online.

>>54480852
They are not and that's not related to equalizing the roll off either.

>>54481388
If you want bulky form factor(you don't) with a lot of bass(you might) for a lot of money then yeah you might have done good. Imo those are lackluster.
>>
Just purchased some V-Sonic GR02 for 42 buckaroos.

Did I do wrong?

Coming from the Sony MDR-EXLP15
>>
>>54481909
>They are not
HD 600: 10% THD+N @ 100 dB and 20 Hz
HE400S: 1% THD+N @ 100 dB and 20 Hz
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400S.pdf

>and that's not related to equalizing the roll off either.
Yes it is if the %THD+N rises when the intensity increases.
>>
>>54482580
Which one is more comfortable?
Not the Anon you are talking to, i'm just curious since i've only tested the Sennheiser.
>>
>>54482706
They're about equally comfortable. HD 600 initially has a hard clamping force which needs to loosen up though.
>>
>>54482580
>20 Hz
Isn't the threshold for normal hearing 200hz?
>>
>>54482740
No, it's 20 Hz to 20 kHz.
It goes down to 16 Hz in controlled environments. 200 Hz is where the bass ends and the midrange begins.
>>
>>54478932
There is a 70$ difference between the two. I would not mind paying more, but only if the improvement is more noticeable than the past few years of new Intel processors.
>>
File: hahahahah_wallpaper.png (31 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hahahahah_wallpaper.png
31 KB, 1920x1080
Hello, /g/hpg/!

Do anyone use koss portapro maxed out on mobile phone?

Have been wondering how much power output would be marginal to that kind of dBA when using 250 ohm headphones, to be more specific, Beyerdynamic T90.

Have found DAC + AMP Monoprice 111567 would be enough to do the job as it has 900 mW output max at 32 ohm, however, when it comes to amplifier utilizing a transistor?, it should be utilized for let's say, 20-30% to start sound well (while tubes sound good at low power output and become more and more distorting towards maxing out). About how much percents would I have to set the device to hear similar dBA as when using koss portapro maxed out on mobile phone? Thanks!

PS: Calculated and found out it might be about 11%. koss portapro is 60 ohm, as margin took iphone 6 output of 26.39 mW at 33 ohms because of dependency 26.39 mW -> 14.5145 mW. When using 250 ohm, 14.5145 mW would be 113.39453125 mW at 32 ohms, so that makes ~12,6% of output power out of 900 mW at 32 ohms.

Well FiiO E10K has 200 mW at 32 ohms, but for some reason there is written "suitable headphone impedance 16Ω~150Ω", if I calculate stuff correct, it would be at about 56,7% when playing music at similar output, why it is not rated as suitable for 250 ohm headphones? Thanks!
>>
>>54483085
Didn't read half of what you said, but I hope this helps.
T90 Power Needed for 90 dB SPL: 0.18 mW
PortaPro Power Needed for 90 dB SPL: 0.04 mW
>>
>>54483213
0,18 / 0,04 = 4,5 times
60 ohm / 250 ohm = 4.16(6) times
not a huge difference, although thanks and hope I am not talking out of my ass.
>>
Well I've spent the better part of the last few years getting into this hobby. I still haven't explored the $3000+ territory because it's just plain retarded for 99% of people, but my bank account has been raped enough for me to have a decent understanding of the current market.

If nothing else, it's made me appreciate my mid-fi headphones a lot more. For those who are interested in exploring higher end gear, please, please, please keep in mind that most of these headphones tend to be very specialized. Yes, the HD800 is incredible if you feed it a masterfully recorded song, but chances are most of the songs you like will sound shitty, tinny and have no bass. Same thing with something like the LCD-2, the planar liquidness and body REALLY complement some songs but generally it's just gonna be dark as fuck and uncomfortable. The LCD-3's a lot better in that regard, especially with Fazor, but it's still super heavy and not completely neutral. Something like the HE-6? It's a nice all rounder but good luck finding enough amplification for it to sound right. It's also heavy as shit.

Recently headphone companies have been trying to change their flagships to be better all rounders, such as with the HD800S and Audeze's Fazor technology, and something like the HE1000 really is the best and most balanced headphone I've ever heard. But most mid-fi cans already have this level of balance and coherence. Be happy with your HD598, your HD600, your HE-400i, your SRH840, whatever (M50s are shit though). More expensive headphones might curbstomp them in certain fields but very few headphones in the $1000+ range have that level of overall listenability.

I think that's why so many people collect multiple expensive headphones like an obsessive retard, because one pair simply does not cover all the bases. Unless you have cash to spare, just spend $150-300 and be done with it.
>>
>>54483654
>just spend $150-300 and be done with it.
probably the best advice i've read in a while

unless you're ready to spend a stupid amount of money you shouldn't even concern yourself with 'end game'
>>
>>54483654
This had pasta potential until the last two paragraphs. Now I just wasted my time reading a wall of text and got nothing out of it.
>>
File: technodevil.jpg (26 KB, 402x410) Image search: [Google]
technodevil.jpg
26 KB, 402x410
>Budget
200 USD flexible +-30-40
>Location
Denmark
>Source
Mixer, iPhone, Laptop
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Need to be comfy enough for prolonged mixing sessions and listening on the go.
>Preferred tonal balance
bassy or v-shaped
Need to be able to feel/hear the low kicks well without distorting the mids and highs when im mixing.
>Preferred music
Dance-music, mainly underground house and techno along with some breaks + ambient and Trip Hop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bFh8UUiPOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7cEuHPo6bw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaTioxXCb_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj6GtrUcjUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZv6ogiKmXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q3yQ2XhXGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3mn7EC-skg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyqzbnft2d0
>Past headphones
I've had 2 pairs of phillips CitiScape Uptowns for the last 3-4 year which have served me briliantly and had lots of sound for the price, but alas my current pair has broken down on me, and it's time to take it up a notch with regards to sound quality as I have started mixing vinyl.
b4 my uptowns i had some horrible in-ear AIAIAI's that broke down after 2 months due to bad build quality and bad fit.
>>
>>54484153
M40x
God smag, min ven.
>>
>>54484153
HE-400S

The treble is a bit weird though
>>
>>54484253
Må nok indromme jeg ikke bryder mig specielt meget om m40x's udseende, så det bliver nok ikke dem!
Og tak!
>>
are the takstar pro80/hyperx cloud more bassy than the sony mdr7506?
>>
>>54484613
Yes.
>>
>>54484714
sweet thanks
>>
>>54481388
wow what a steal
>>
What does /hpg/ look for in youtube reviews?
>>
>>54481388
not at all. if you don't like em just resell them for $100-200 more lel
>>
>>54485562
Zeos
>>
Do the hyperx cloud and Takstar Pro80 truly sound the same? Because if so there doesn't seem any reason to buy the Pro80 since the Cloud has more accessories.
>>
>>54485775
Yes
>>
>>54485562
Nothing but entertainment. No YouTube review is going to be half-way as informative or convenient as a write-up unless it has timestamps and the reviewer has a script prepared.

I'd much rather watch entertaining POV spontaneous reviews like Zeos.
>>
>>54479079
too much bass, eq it down and it does good. but I like my 598 better for classical.
>>
>>54482883
they sound quite different, but if you get the cheaper one you wont be disappointed, they both sound good.
>>
Does anyone know if dt770 earpads fit t70(p)?
>>
I get that wireless is frowned upon, but is there an acceptable bluetooth pair out there for fitness?
>>
>>54486727
IEMs and a wireless adapter if you HAVE to go wireless.
>>
I'm really torn between he400s and hd600, or wait till black friday and hope for a deal on the 400i.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.