[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows cucks BTFO by PROTECTED PATH DRM!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: IC500900.png (19 KB, 571x502) Image search: [Google]
IC500900.png
19 KB, 571x502
Enjoy your gimped babby OS kids.
>>
What is this?
>>
The Protected Media Path is a set of technologies creating a "Protected Environment," first included in Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system, that is used to enforce digital rights management (or DRM) protections on content. Its subsets are Protected Video Path (PVP) and Protected User Mode Audio (PUMA).

In order to prevent users from copying DRM content, Windows Vista provides process isolation and continually monitors what kernel-mode software is loaded. If an unverified component is detected, then Vista will stop playing DRM content, rather than risk having the content copied.
The protected environment is implemented completely in software, so software-based attacks such as patching the Windows kernel are possible.
The scheme relies on the internals of graphics cards to tell whether the hardware is trustworthy (permitted to play copy-protected content).
Microsoft has frequently been accused of adding the Protected Media Path feature to Vista to block customers from copying rightfully owned media content, and the feature is widely quoted as an example of Microsoft's uncompromising adherence to DRM.
These accusations have never gained much traction[citation needed] largely because Vista treats non-DRM media exactly the same as previous versions of Windows, and that following Vista's release there has been no change in the availability of free/open source drivers from graphics hardware manufacturers.
>>
>>54452152
So what would happen if I were to take a screenshot via printscreen while it was playing?
>>
>>54452409
On osx it prints a black screen, its not just a windows thing. On windows it doesnt print anything
>>
>>54451484
If this actually affects you (probably because you enjoy watching capeshit movies and trashy television shows) then you deserve what you get.
>>
>>54451484
OP, do you honestly think that anyone of /g/'s winbabbies even understands what DRM is?
>>
>>54451484
>babby
baby
>>
>>54452409
If you have Windows 8 or above, download the Netflix app and play some shit, then print screen. You'll see exactly what it does.
>>
>>54455434
>Netflix app
>app
>using apps in the first place
mobile cancer
>>
>>54455454
An "app" is just a nice container for program binaries, libraries, config files, and other resources you stupid fuck.
It's actually a good idea instead of spreading shit throughout the filesystem.
It's way more portable.

Something tells me your the only mobilefag here thinking that apps = mobile shit
>>
>>54455776
portable, non-installing multi-plat programs =! apps
>>
Enjoy your down syndrome, retard.
>>
never stopped me from pirating whatever i want so i don't really give a shit.
>>
>>54456041
uh yes

literally "NeXTStep APP bundle"
>>
>>54456041
>being this retarded
>>
>>54452463
No it doesn't actually, seems the protected path isn't used in OS X.

It's a Microsoft technology. Theoretically it could be in OS X but it isn't.
>>
>>54458075
T. retard
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.