[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ My friend maxed out a 27" iMac ($4.4k after taxes).
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: og_image.jpg (109 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
og_image.jpg
109 KB, 1200x630
/g/

My friend maxed out a 27" iMac ($4.4k after taxes). He's telling me that his r9 395x is still going to be better than the 1080 that was just announced the other day.

Why can't I find benchmarks for this card specifically? Does Apple get their own specific cards from AMD and then nobody bothers to test out how they compete on the market?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just can't find actual comparisons online and I don't know why.
>>
>>54448488
Its a mobile gpu.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=3340&cmp%5B%5D=3218
>>
>>54448488
An all-in-one like an iMac isn't going to have a desktop class GPU. Like >>54448518 just said, it's going to be a mobile one designed to throttle under load so the thing doesn't melt or explode
>>
>>54448518
>>54448566
I guess I never considered that. It's really strange considering the screen is a 27" 5k display. This GPU doesn't seem like it would utilize that at all.
>>
>>54448488
>Does Apple get their own specific cards from AMD
Yes, any big OEM gets own cards.

>then nobody bothers to test out how they compete on the market?
Because iMac wasn't made with gaymers in mind and comparing hardware running completely different software doesn't help much.
>>
>>54448615
Its made for web browsing to be the most intensive thing it will ever do.
>>
>>54448651
some of those web pages can get pretty intense bru
>>
>>54448651
I get that as a joke, but being dead serious right now what the hell can you actually do properly with it? I know he wants to do a lot of rendering and 3D modeling software so I figured they'd have a GPU that can at least handle that well for that price.
>>
Went to the Applel website to take a look

>base model, which is about $1099, still comes with a 5400rpm HD

you can't make this shit up
>>
>>54448690
All-in-Ones as a class of computer have always occupied this weird as shit place where (with some rare exceptions) they have mobile-geared hardware but none of the actual portability
>>
>>54448727
Yeah, go through and add them to your cart or whatever so you can look at the customization options. It's really fun in a very depressing way.
>>
I think the closest analogue it has is a 380x underclocked to around 825mhz, it's not a bad gpu by any means, but it's about half the speed of the current flagships.
>>
>>54448817
>$600 for ram
people ACTUALLY pay this?
>>
>>54448872
Current flagships including or excluding the 1080?

>>54448873
Yes
>>
>>54448873
pay and defend their stupidity
>>
>>54448895
Excluding, probably
>>
File: wut.jpg (20 KB, 379x264) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
20 KB, 379x264
>>54448488
>My friend maxed out a 27" iMac ($4.4k after taxes)
>>
>>54448895
1080 is not current yet
>>
>>54448690
They aren't high end desktops, so said tasks would be suboptimal. iMacs are mid class desktops with godlike design and awesome screens. So something for the case where performance isn't your main priority.

You can easy do all the tasks for home users and for most somehow professional work with media. They ARE pretty powerful just not exactly high end. Besides, they are dirt chip if you include a good 16:10 5K screen with keyboard and mouse.
>>
>>54448962
Thats what I figured. So (assuming nvidia doesn't fuck this release up and the 1080 actually somewhat lives up to the hype) once it's out, his gpu will be even more outdated?
>>
>>54448488
Seems like you're all butthurt that your friend spent a lot of money, and need to prove he was stupid.

Why?

It's his money, why would you care?
>>
>>54448978
>God like design
>4usb
>1 1gbe with no expansion options
>shitty hard drive options
>thermal throttling
>>
>>54449048
>need to prove he was stupid
OP's friend bought a mac, that's already proof enough.
>>
>>54449048
Because I'm building a desktop for the first time in my life and I'm sick of hearing about how I'm wasting my money not buying an iMac and iPhone.
>>
>>54449075
>4usb
Given that the mouse and keyboard are wireless ... the fuck would you need 4 external harddrives at the same time?

>>1 1gbe with no expansion options
So? At what would it massively handicap you?

>shitty hard drive options
Doesn't it have PCI SSD option? Hardly shitty.
>>
>>54449075
Forgot no height or swivel adjustment.
>>
>>54449134
That sucks--too bad people cant just use their machine for their work and stop evangelizing on both sides.

Good luck with the build.
>>
File: they really love it really.png (284 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
they really love it really.png
284 KB, 500x500
>>54448518

>putting a lower spec mobile gpu in a $4400 machine that isn't mobile

**sigh** appletards deserve what they get

>>54448817

like watching someone get ripped off, but the person getting ripped off enjoys it
>>
>>54449134
Why are you friends with that retard? Even my parents understand macs are expensive shit (but buy them anyway because they're technologically impaired)
>>
>>54448690
I have a mid-range 27" iMac from 2010, back when they were still pretty decent spec-wise compared to PCs. I use it mainly for photo editing and also do some 3D work, so you don't even really need a modern hotrod system to get things done, although working in 3D means using a VM since a lot of the good software is not on OS X, 3D design and animation is the one case where I would seriously recommend a Windows system.
That said, Apple has pretty much abandoned the Mac Pro and the iMacs are under-powered and over-priced, so my next machine will have to be a PC. Apple is a dead-end as far as desktop computers are concerned.
>>
File: hein.jpg (6 KB, 154x164) Image search: [Google]
hein.jpg
6 KB, 154x164
>>54448488

>my friend
>>
File: appplel.png (48 KB, 987x637) Image search: [Google]
appplel.png
48 KB, 987x637
>>
>>54449531
>doing 3D
>in a VM
lol what
>>
>>54450091
What can I say, it's not a new concept and it works out. I don't actually have to render anything, if I did that'd be a whole other matter, but for design work you really don't need a powerful system unless you have to push massive/complex scenes.
And that's one point I forgot to address, you can't just say "work with 3D graphics" because it's far too vague regarding needs, depending on what you do, you can get by with anything from an $800 prebuilt to a $4000 multi-GPU monster.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.