[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any tips for buying a UPS for my battlestation? I just need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: APC BE550G.jpg (149 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
APC BE550G.jpg
149 KB, 1500x1000
Any tips for buying a UPS for my battlestation? I just need my computer/monitors to stay on for a few minutes in the case of a short power outage. Thinking about getting this one. Is it a problem that this UPS has a lower wattage than my computer's power supply?
>>
>>54448180
Buy a kill-a-watt, plug it in, test max load conditions. Or use one of those sites that guesstimate your max load.
>>
>>54448180
it all depends on how long you need to keep it running, a 550W one won't keep you running on a gaming desktop for very long at all. Your best option is to get a used one that needs a new battery. Companies often ditch them at some point for newer higher capacity ones, you can use that to get a much better one for the same price. UPS battery stores around here also sell ones like that with new batteries and a warranty on both the unit and the battery.
>>
>>54448565
I found the replacement batteries cost almost as much as the UPS does brand new. I ended up just buying another one ..
>>
I had a 700VA one a while ago. It is very important to do a full discharge every month or else you're looking at a new battery every year. Unfortunately the motherboard died in mine after 3 years, right around the time the warranty ran out... I haven't purchased a replacement because I was pissed about that...
The claimed warranty on 100k damages sounds nce, but I'm skeptical.

I'm thinking about only buying a surge protector and calling it a day...

I've never had a use for it in the 3 years it was in service....
>>
>>54448743
>important to do a full discharge every month

>Ni-MH
>2016

HAHAHAHA
>>
>>54448743
I'm ^

>>54448640
Is right.
>>
We had a UPS to protect our family PC which had about all of our family photos and vids of the last 10 years. A water pipe bursted upstairs and deatroyed the PC..
>>
>>54448773
The OP didn't poost a specific model but I'm assuming it still uses the RBC 17 battery which is not NiMH. Also NiMH still have the memory effect regardless of the year of our lord
>>
>>54448934
That's why you don't buy shit that has batteries with the memory effect unless you want to change your battery every year.
>>
>>54448830
Why didn't you back-up your files?
>>
>>54448953
But I guess this is why OP started this thread. I personally dont know any UPSs that use LiIon or polymer batteries because I imagine those would be very expensive. Please name better alternatives to APC UPSs. I'm genuinely interested.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.