[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to destroy the internet by bombing a couple of places?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 1457397939816.jpg (50 KB, 408x439) Image search: [Google]
1457397939816.jpg
50 KB, 408x439
Is it possible to destroy the internet by bombing a couple of places?
>>
Is it possible to destroy the world by bombing a couple of places?
>>
>>54444180
dumb tripfag cancer
>>
>>54444165
is it possible to rid your mother of syphilis by bombing her in a couple places?
>>
no
idiot
>>
>>54444191
SOL isn't like the other tripfags fuck off
>>
>>54444165
don't fuck that goat
>>
>>54444191
Stop replying start reporting.
>>
The internet was designed by DARPA exactly to prevent that, they needed a way to network America so that if someone bombed some, that the network would persist.
>>
Depends what you understand by "destroy the internet".

1. Destroy root DNS servers and TLD DNS servers.
If you know the IP, you can still use the interwebz, but since most people rely on DNS, when their cache expires, they won't be able to connect to sites because they can't resolve the domain to an IP.

2. Destroy some major data lines
Some small countries have only a single broadband cable linking them to the outside world. If this cable is severed, the country-level network works okay, but you can't connect to servers anywhere else in the world. Destroying those country-linking/continent-linking cables would fragment the internet into a number of smaller networks.
Also, since there's a matter of bandwidth, you may not need to sever all cables. With most cables gone, the remaining ones may be overloaded and not able to cope with the increased load. Maybe not "completely gone", but down to "hardly usable".
>>
>>54444191
Never understood why having a tripcode was a bad thing.
>>
>>54444282
It's not about having a tripcode. It's about using a persistent tripcode to develop some sort of Internet personality. no-one cares about who you are on the Internet, especially on 4chan. Tripcodes are for identifying yourself in a particular thread if a consistent identity is necessary for the discussion (for example, to identify yourself as the author of a piece of software in a thread about that software). Attention-seekers are not welcome here.
>>
Can you filter tripfags on mobile? I'm tired of these little attention whores.
>>
>>54444282
>anonymous website made for anonymity
>"hurr durr let me just put on a name so people can know who I am cuz I am le special snowflake"
>>
>>54444165
http://gizmodo.com/5912383/how-to-destroy-the-internet
More than a couple it seems.
>>
>>54444165
No, it was a design specification that the internet be immune to attacks targeting infrastructure but your plan would work in places like China perhaps.
>>
Depends on the places and your defintion of "a couple".
>>
pretty sure if you cut off/destroy a few transatlantic cables you'll cut off major parts of the internet in Europe

doesn't work for America though
>>
who paid for all the infrastructure to set this whose world wide thing up?
>>
>>54444332
ignore them, stop being an autistic cunt
>>
>>54444402
First it was universities, then the government, and then all the internet subscribers. Internet was extremely expensive to use in the early days, and companies could essentially charge however much they wanted, so the capital was there to set up the infrastructure.
Unfortunately, America being first to the Internet game also means that it has the oldest infrastructure dating back many decades, which is expensive and difficult to replace now. As a result, many smaller countries which gained Internet access only recently and could build from the ground up using the best hardware have Internet that's considerably faster and cheaper.
Google Fiber's slow pace of expansion is a good indicator of why no one wanted to tackle the problem, they had to have tremendous amounts of cash and time they could invest while not depending on the actual network for revenue.
>>
>>54444371
A couple means 2

Few means 3
Several means 4
>>
>>54444617
Several means anything above 3, could be 8, could be 5
>>
>>54444375
wrong, there is always an alternate route, even if that means it must go through a satellite connection (most countries have them), think about it, what good would the internet be without redundancy?
so, no, it will just make it slow, you would have better changes taking down dns servers (you wouldnt take down the internet per-se, but for normies it would be just as effective)
>>
i always thought a bunch of emp bombs would do it but now i think the internet is way too big.
>>
>>54444165
Just like mycelial networks, once a piece of the network is damaged, the data just takes a different route to get where it's going.
>>
File: internet_has_spoken.jpg (44 KB, 528x384) Image search: [Google]
internet_has_spoken.jpg
44 KB, 528x384
Just don't try to do it. You will not succeed.

But, you can always take down servers. People really don't care about the internet access, they want
>Google
>Wikipedia
>Facebook
>Twitter
and so on...

They will be satisfied, even if all the internet was taken down to asymmetrical HTTP and DNS.

But they would rage if that big servers (especially Facebook) is taken down.
>>
I'd just like to point out that while the core internet is generally fine, the last mile is fragile as fuck. It's not uncommon for one broken link to cut a small town (or, in the US, several moderately large citites) off from the rest of the internet.

Example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2970900/Arizona-left-without-phone-internet-services-six-hours-vandals-cut-cable.html
>>
>not having your own network at home
ayyy

(please don't bomb me)
>>
>>54444202
Yes?
>>
>>54444222
holy fuck kill yourself
>>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Observatory#Time_service

only two clocks m8. enjoy getting v&d for making this thread.
>>
>>54444338
>if I close my eyes, they'll go away
>>
>>54444402
Quint checked
>>
>>54444191
>not having everyone set as anon
>replying to them willingly
>attentionwhore post "WAAA MUH TRIPFAGS"

pls stop
>>
>>54444165

More than a couple. There were articles about Russia sniffing out the locations of the underwater lines that connect the US and Europe.

Probably bullshit they should have known where they were just in case long ago.

Depending on what you mean by destroy the internet it would take many places. Hell its a giant web of connections realistically you could only target certain areas for temporary removal from the greater whole.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.