[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tinfoil: MS sabotaged Windows 7?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: 140812REDMackieWin7.jpg (40 KB, 647x450) Image search: [Google]
140812REDMackieWin7.jpg
40 KB, 647x450
> installed 7 on my T500
> never checks for an update
> try to update by hand
> 3 days pass, still checking

> use WSUS offline
> 2 days pass
> can't get past any KB

> use slipstream
> setup stops at "finalizing"

Now I installed it on my dedicated server with 2x120GB SSD RAID0, fast connection, and a Xeon 1245v2.

Nothing.
100% CPU, 3gb ram usage for days.

It looks like you are NOT supposed to install W7 anymore.
You have 10, be fucking happy.
If you have a 7 machine, throw it in the bin, buy a new one.

What the fuck MS?
>>
Same thing happened to me. The Win10 update was interfering with security updates for Win7. Said fuck you MS and installed Ubuntu. Never going back.
>>
>>54440094
Now I can install Windows 8.1 - but the laptop has an old gpu that works like shit with the Windows Update driver.

And the Intel 4500 card glitches with it too.
>>
>>54440114
Would be an option, but both GPU are quite unsupported. Also Office would be nice to have, and we have plenty of Win based tools we work with.
And this shitwagon cannot really virtualize.
>>
Bump! Let this be a new challenge.
> Install a new Windows 7
> Make it update itself

You can use black magic, white magic, yellow magic. Make it happen.
The winner gets a hair out of RMS's beard.
>>
>>54440094
Now I checked again on the server...
> VM starts with 500mb of ram usage
> Press "Check for updates"
> Immediately eats up all available ram
> CPU maxes out on one core

Stays like that forever.
>>
File: 1441649318327.jpg (28 KB, 382x582) Image search: [Google]
1441649318327.jpg
28 KB, 382x582
>>54440168
just use wsus offline update for the initial patches
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>54440198
It's literally in my OP.
>>
File: fl.png (25 KB, 697x531) Image search: [Google]
fl.png
25 KB, 697x531
>>54440094
>>54440168
You doing something really wrong, or just forget to update windows update client beforehand installing any updates. Slipstreaming working flawlessly.
>>
>>54440214
your hardware must be fucked
installed win 7 with updates literally yesterday on my other machine
>>
>>54440223
I used ntlite, with "Windows Update Downloader".
The packages went in fine, removed what was conflicting, and the result setup just did not finish.
There was a TrustedInstaller.exe with SHIFT+F10, but even after killing it I did not get forward.

>>54440227
I don't mean an updated machine.
I mean a NEW clean install.

Updating a running and regularly updated Windows 7 works just fine.
>>
>>54440245
I made a clean install 2 weeks ago. First I installed every update until 2014. Then read about each one on MSDN real quickly and installed what was necessary. Just werks.
>>
>>54440255
What hardware m8?
I mean I can't even fucking decide what bottlenecks the process.

I even tried the SSD raid as I said, hoping that would fix the slowness.

Btw few weeks ago a friend of mine bought a used laptop and wanted to install W7 on it. Updates took... roughly 12 hours on it, and in the end at reboot it said it will just roll them back because some issue happened.

Fucking lol.
>>
>>54440245
>installed win 7 with updates literally yesterday on my other machine
windows 7 with updates
a clean install from dvd
after that, applied updates with wsus offline update
nigga
>>
>>54440094
Yes. Windows 7 is fucked up with current upgrades. Stay on SP1, don't upgrade and there you go.

inb4 muh vulnerabilities
>>
>>54440273
As I said the laptop got stuck on the first KB update.
But, re-deployed VM, will try to download WSUS on the VM now.
>>
>>54440094
Since you know the truth it'll be really hard to go full normie and install windows 10 outside a VM
>>
>>54440245
Again, you doing something wrong. If you don't install update for "windows update client" before installing everything else - it's common for windows update to "stuck" forever. So just install https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612 and then everything else.

Same thing about slip streaming updates, they need to be added in order, with some updates replacing others as times goes on, I really don't know if ntlite use sane logic about this, proven method is just using WAIK and doing things manually, or using something like this if you lazy - http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/45005
>>
>>54440274
This.

The "vulnerabilities" are just exploits that need physical access to the system.
If you have a fully updated browser and it's the only thing that accesses the network, you have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>54440396
I tried that trick too.
When I did this, the install window popped up that would install the new Windows Update Client, and never went forward.
>>
>>54440094
I think it's kinda funny that /g/ actually can't into computers, whoda thunk?
>>
>>54440472
these are people who come to /g/ for tech advice and don't understand that the people on /g/ who can help them are too autistic/machosist to do so

>install gentoo
>>
>>54440472
> people on /g/ shitpost about things they don't know shit about

Who would have thought?
https://superuser.com/questions/890038/why-is-checking-windows-update-so-slow
>>
File: SPECCY1.png (48 KB, 761x624) Image search: [Google]
SPECCY1.png
48 KB, 761x624
>>54440269
There were a couple of updates that didn't install properly, but it seems that some updates need OTHER updates to fix said updates not installing properly. On my first go they were approximately 300mb. I sorted them by size and deselected large updates that were useless to me at the time (i.e. bitdefender signatures, malware tools, IE11 updates, etc.). Boots up in about 25s and shuts down in literally 3.

Current hardware is pic related. Not sure why you're having trouble desu. I installed Win 7 on another PC as well about a month ago with all the updates. Are you sure about the integrity of your files? Shitty internet?
>>
>>54440269
Also, I have a friend who installs win 7 for customers and updates take an hour or so to install and even longer to install with him. Not sure why, probably because he torrents bluerays at the same time.
>>
>>54440094
>Updating Vanilla 7 SP1

It was broken since it came out mate
>>
>>54440504
Well I just wanted to install Chocolatey, now it's been installing .NET 4.0 for 40 minutes now.

Literally what the fuck.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (267 KB, 796x600) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
267 KB, 796x600
>>54440830
>>
>>54440191
I had this happen with XP Embedded myself.
>>
>>54440094
Happened to me too, but I think it only happens with new installs.
I have had w7 on my laptop for years with no issues; avoid all student programs versions at all costs.
>>
>>54440850
>>54441050
1 hour later, no progress.

Yeah anon, only with new installs.
I have a machine with a 7 install, it works fine.

I think ...because of the shit I linked above (the nature of how 7 update works), the amount of new updates just kills the entire Update System.

And it's impossible to update Windows Update either, because it will again, search for the pre-requirements and such.

I will try to install 8.1 instead.
>>
File: Untitled.png (110 KB, 969x702) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
110 KB, 969x702
>>54440094

Reboot PC, install them in this order (also reboot after installing each).

> Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

> How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Now try and check for updates. Worked for me a week ago. It found all the updates in a minute or two.

Only install x86 on x86 OS or x64 on x64 OS.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.